Tips & Tricks Star Wars FIDM exhibit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by PadawansGuide, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Now that the holidays are behind me I'm now going through the hundreds of photos I took at FIDM and uploading them to the web.

This is going to take weeks, partly because the FTP process is so slow for the high res files.

I'm putting everything up here:

http://imageevent.com/kay_dee/fidm

I'm still working my way through the batch I took on my first trip in September. Some of these are already up on Padawan's guide, some are not.

When I've finally uploaded everything I'll make another post. In the mean time just check the site each day for things I've added.

- Kay Dee
  2. Man_from_Naboo Force Ghost

star 1
    Kay_dee,

thanks a lot for sharing !!!

Gosh, those 5-6Mpixel cams deliver pics of sheer insane quality !!! And all the info on focal length and such !!! This is too great ! Have to wait till I am back at my place so I don´t use up my partners (I was told after 15 yrs it is too odd to say girlfriend ;P ) bandwidth for dling all of them ! Invaluable reference !!!

Anyone else got any hires pics ?!

Michael
  3. jedilucass Jedi Master

star 2
    kay_dee, WOW! Your images are great! And the end dress ones are my favorite- you got some great ones, considering how hard I've heard the costume is to photgraph.

Thanks!!![:D] =P~ =D=
  4. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Jedilucass - check back on the Padme page in the next few weeks. I do have some better photos of the end dress I have not had a chance to upload. I'm having to go througheverything folder by folder from each trip by each category. Some of my best photos were taken on the last trip in December.

Man From Naboo - This is the first time I've used Imageevent. It posts low res and the high res version of the photo. I'm wondering if your connection gives you trouble with the low res photo? Yeah, the high ones do take time to load, even with DSL. But they are there for research and I'm sure if somone is patient enough to download it that's becuase they really want it and need it! LOL!

- Kay Dee
  5. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    By the way, I wouldn't really attribute the quality to 5 mpixels. I think camera companies overrate that feature just to sell new versions of 2 year old cameras. A little point and shoot camera can only capture so much with that tiny lense. More pixels of a blurry/lack of detail photo don't get you anything. Better lenses get you better photos - so that's why I bought the S2IS (plus it has that image stabilization stuff). We often borrow our friend's Cannon SLR (can't remember the model he has) and it is so old (like 4 or 5 years old) that it's a 3 megapixel camera. But the photos it takes are VERY sharp and capture insane detail because it's a great camera and has expensive, big, high end lenses (the lenses alone are worth hundreds of dollars). Only drawback is you can't blow up the photos to anything much larger than maybe 8X10 or 11X14.

Anyway, that's my megapixel rant :p. Don't mind me ;)

- Kay Dee
  6. Tenyon Jedi Knight

star 2
    Kay Dee, I also want to thank you for those amazing pictures! Thank you so much for sharing them with us. :)
  7. lavagrrrl Jedi Master

star 4
    Kay_Dee, thanks for sharing the photos! I only wish I had the time/money/ability to make some of the costumes you photographed. :D
  8. gaiatha Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I also would like to thank you for all the work with uploading and sharing the pics with us.
    I'm totally using a few of theses as references :D

My boyfriend and I bought the previouse model of your camera. The canon S1IS. Out of curiousity what setting did you use to take the pics?
    I'm planning our visit of the SW exhibition in Paris and would like to have something to share when I get back aswell ;)

Thanks again :)
  9. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    When are you planning the trip to Paris? Me, Nina and a couple of other people have talked about trying to go there.
  10. gaiatha Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    We were thinking about an early march weekend.
    But if we could meet there I wouldn't mind to change the date. No flight tickets or hotel booked yet ;) :D
  11. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh, I'd love to see pictures! Do they allow flash?

OK - there were several tricks to getting good photos with the S2IS when no flash is allowed (flash could be a whole different story)

- Keep the camera VERY steady. Sometimes I felt like the "image stabilization" was useless (but make sure it's on!). Use whatever you can around you to keep your camera still. Hold your breath and take multiple shots. More often than not the shot is out of focus, but sometimes that 2nd or third time is a charm :) If you don't have anything to prop your camera against, look through the view finder rather than using the screen. Your face helps stabilize the camera.

- I got a lot of good photos in "SCN" mode set to "Indoor" and let the camera figure out the rest.

- I also switched to "P" and would [i}sometimes[/i] play with upping the exposure (+1/3 or so), but I think this could increase the chance for blurring because I believe the shutter had to stay open longer. It just depended.

- In "P" mode you can also change your ISO speed manually. 400 was too grainy, but sometimes bumping it up to 200 in dark rooms helped. You can also leave it on Auto ISO

- Another great thing about the "P" mode is the ability to move around the focusing area box. In a poorly lit place and with dark costumes (little contrast) this camera does NOT want to focus. So move the box around until you find an area of the costume with good contrast (On dark costumes the white mannequin hand against the sleeve, or face against the collar worked well). Depress halfway and keep searching for that spot on the costume until you get the green go ahead.

- Keep your lens clean. I have a little lens wipe I keep with my camera.

- If the item is behind plexi and it's well lit, try using a circular polarizer to eliminate some of the reflection and glare. For dark rooms I don't suggest it because it does cut some light out.

-kay dee
  12. gaiatha Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    :eek: Thanks so much for all the tips.
    I'll try to follow them all then I have to take at least some good pics ;)
    Probably I will have a test run at a lokal museum first. I really should have spent some more time with the camera since we bought it in 2003 :p

I'm in contact with a user from the FanForce France and he says that they allowed flash and it could even be allowed to use tripods. Mainly because the only employees of the Cité des Sciences are present at the entrance and at the exit. :p

As far as I can tell from the pics I've already seen most of the costumes and props are behind glas.
  13. ewok78 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I live in paris, i will be please to meet you !
    Yhey allow flash phtography but you need to book you tickets to the exhibit !!
    they have planed to have 2500 pesonnes by day, it's a huge succes they have 5000 personnes a day
  14. gaiatha Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I didn't know that you have to book the tickets :eek: Thanks :)
    How many days in andvance would be good?

But it's really great that they have so many visitors. Maybe it shows LFL that us Europeans are interessted in SW exhibitions and probably makes them think about bringing something like Dressing a Galaxy to Europe once. :)
  15. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Ah, if they allow flash then you should get some great shots! If you can bring a tripod that's great though. The steadier a camera is, the better. And you might experiment taking some pictures with and without flash just because sometimes the glare can be bad. (Depends on the angle you stand at, how far away you are - etc.)

If you can afford to invest in a polarizing filter and the adaptor *might* help with glare, but it doesn't get rid of 100% of it. So it might not really be worth the investment.

I just played with taking pictures in my house in dark places, getting the feel of how to get the focus box to give you the green "OK" rather than the yellow "Not in focus" indication when you depress the shutter button halfway.

Good Luck!

- Kay Dee
  16. ewok78 Jedi Knight

star 1
    There is no many space, they should not allow tripod !

You have to book your tickets as soon as you can
    Send me a PM if you want my email adress !
  17. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Just an update to let everyone know I have now uploaded all my 'good' FIDM photos to imageevent.

So for those of you who have not checked in the past week I think I added lots of "Naboo Queen" photos, Handmaidens, Aliens, Senators, Heros, Droids, Bounty Hunters & Sand People. There are a total of 1200 photos.

http://imageevent.com/kay_dee/fidm

Now I just need to go through my last FIDM Fan Day photos and post those!

- Kay Dee

18. ZamIAm Jedi Knight

star 1
    Great mother of ZAM! Thank you so much for your hi rez shots. We went there and the no flash thing really hurt us. Even with a 5 megapixel sony.
    Thank you so much again :)
  19. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    You are welcome :) I was happy to take the time to share photos with other fans who are into studying and making the costumes. No flash made things tricky, but at least there were some details captured that you can't find in the book.

- kay dee
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.