Tips & Tricks Star Wars FIDM exhibit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by PadawansGuide, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, hopefully they pulled it before a large amount of tickets were sold. I mean, I was checking just about every day and it looked like nothing had sold yet. I'd see 75s going all the way down the column and was surprised stuff hadn't sold yet.

I wonder what the "technicality" was? I mean, it's been advertised for quite a while as starting on the 12th. And they started setting up last week. This is total speculation, but I wonder if it's going to be more of a VIP thing the first week and that's why tickets for the general public were pulled. I still say that sucks for people who had plans to go and were making travel arrangements. We had a hotel booked and people almost bought plane tickets.

- Kay Dee

2. across0the0stars Jedi Knight

star 2
    =\ that isn't fun at all

so much for anyone that wanted to see what Trish had to say on the opening day, hopefully someone that will be there will be able to share anything of interest
  3. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    Sometimes I get very jealous of you guys in the US. Just thinking about seeing the picnic dress in RL makes me dizzy. Well next week I'll be at the Milan exhibition, so at least I'll get to see some of my favourite TPM costumes. (battlemaiden and return to Naboo if I remember correctly)
  4. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    For those of you going, you should ask if monopods are OK to bring instead of tripods for your cameras. We use our monopod all the time to help get steady shots. It collapses down to the size of a standard travel umbrella and doubles as a walking stick! Monopods won't trip up fellow museum patrons so (assuming that's the reasoning behind no tripods) I don't see any reason why monopods wouldn't be allowed.

~Doc_Bev
  5. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Bought my tickets! Yay! First show, first day. What a perfect birthday gift...well, almost perfect.
  6. across0the0stars Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm guessing yours was bought as soon as they got put up?
  7. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    I've actually been checking back and forth, and I was the first to buy tickets at all!
  8. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Across the Stars - JedHead didn't buy tickets when they first went on sale. He didn't get the week of the 12-18th before it got yanked (this is what I've been sad about). He just got the 19th.

- Kay Dee
  9. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    A question about being able to exit and reenter the exhibit for meals and restroom breaks has come up in my conversations with other fans. We've also been wondering if visitors will only have a limited time frame to wander the museum. I contacted Michael Black at FIDM and here is what I was told:

Thank you for your interest in our exhibition. There are no reentry privileges. Once you exit the galleries, you must have another ticket to get back in. There will be portable restroom facilities in Grand Hope Park. We expect it to take around an hour to go through the exhibition.

Sincerely,

Michael Black
    Assistant to Museum Director
    FIDM Museum & Galleries

So, for those of you travelling from out of town to visit the museum, please be sure to purchase more than one ticket so that you can take any needed breaks in the middle of the day.

- Kay Dee
    />
  10. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    As long as they're not telling us to get out after only one hour; I know I'll need longer!
  11. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    An hour?!

They have no idea do they... *shakes head*

I could easily see myself spending an average of 5 mins per costume. And there's what - over 100 costumes & props? That's over 8 hours right there! :eek:

~Doc_Bev
  12. across0the0stars Jedi Knight

star 2
    maybe if there were enough demand they could have the exhibit elsewhere for a while?
    I wish they would =\
  13. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Maybe they figure the people who will actually spend extended amounts of time looking at the costumes are few and far between. If you think about it, even at CIII which is full of die hard Star Wars fans, most people just wandered in and out of the exhibit.

It will be interesting to see how many people are there to really study every detail of the costumes, and how many just want to check it out for fun because it's "Star Wars".

- Kay Dee

14. HothGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    CIII...my camera started smoking in the exhibit room. It still needs to be fixed actually. I'd want to take a few days to go through, taking notes and what not. Wish I could be there!
  15. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm reposting this from my site. I just got a very interesting email from Tish, who wrote this great article on the costumes and the exhibit: http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/12465913.htm A few new bits of info - it seems that the reason the exhibit is opening a week later than it was supposed to is because the costumes will be on the runway during NY Fashion Week -- Sept 15th!!

Is there anyone involved with this that can get photos or more information?

The article says that, "Also featured is the coffin that bore Padme Amidala to her final resting place, clad in watery gray-blue-green silk embroidered with vintage hand-dyed sequins." So it looks like the End/Water gown will be there! Woohoo!
  16. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh, that's interesting news! I can't wait to examine the water gown in person (that's my fave EpIII costume). The article mentions the picnic gown, but doesn't specify if it will be on display. The fact they mentioned it has my hopes up again!

- Kay Dee
  17. Benae_Quee Jedi Master

star 4
    OMG! The costumes are going to be on the runway in NYC?!?!?!?! OMG I might be able to se them ?!??!?!!

:: is REALLY excited because Future sister in law gets to go this every year for her job :: Maybe she can take me :D She's a woman's buyer for Barney's :)

Maggie, the article isn't working :(
  18. kay_dee Force Ghost

star 4
    Url didn't work because there was a . at the end.

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/12465913.htm

Cool Benea, you can maybe give us an advanced scoop on the costumes used for the runway show!

- Kay Dee
  19. PadawansGuide Jedi Knight

star 3
    That would be amazing if you could go and take pics of the costumes on the runway!

The link is right - the period I put after it just got made part of the link. I edited it so it should be ok now.
  20. across0the0stars Jedi Knight

star 2
    omg that's ubersomeness! cool to have them on a runway! whoever would have thought that would happen eh? lol
  21. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Woh! Padme Water Gown! [face_love] Know that it's a bit less comfortable to wear especially with that Fake Tummy but I still love it and want to complete mine (To do a new Cloak that match the length of the gown or not [face_thinking] ).

Can't wait to see all the photos since won't have a chance to see it in person.
  22. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Call me a paranoid freak, but nothing adverse better happen to those costumes when they are being worn by who knows who on the runway.

I guess I just can't stand the idea of some random model possibly getting her hands on the picnic dress. She better be super careful! [face_laugh] [face_worried]
  23. across0the0stars Jedi Knight

star 2
    Lol Dawn you silly =P
    I don't blame you though, anyone that damages any of it.... that's just horrible!
  24. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    tee-hee...really I'm just jealous that someone might get to wear it. [face_not_talking]
    Seriously though, I hope the models are very careful and wear gloves. :p
  25. Benae_Quee Jedi Master

star 4
    I hope I can get to Fashion Week :) If I get to go and a model trips over the picnic dress, I'll be sure to chew her out for you Dawn ;) lol

I'll also bring the good camera for this :D
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.