main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Star Wars FIDM exhibit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by PadawansGuide, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh my gosh, fabric samples that we can touch....eeeeeeeee! =P~

2. Darth_Manos

Darth_Manos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2005
    Yes, low light!!! even lower light in the Sith area.

And they probably will not allow flash photos.

So bring a cane, and use it as a mono pod.

I should've done that. But as I have my wife, she can take photos
    with flash for me.

Oh, heres a shot of the X-Wing in the rotunda entrance.
    http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d730b3127cce93aa3ab73d9200000016108AZtm7Nm5Ytj

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d730b3127cce93aa3ab93d9c00000016108AZtm7Nm5Ytj
    Darth Manos successfully infiltrates the rebel base and steals an X-Wing.

3. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    kay-dee - Maybe now we know why your Picnic Dress wasn't coming out the way you wanted - you're going to have more reference material than any of us for your new version! How awesome! :)

I'm eagerly awaiting photos from all you lucky travelers! The preview pics are just incredible

Regards,
    M.

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Darth_Manos, how fun for you to sit in the X-Wing. :)
    Here's a quick question for you or your wife: are shoes also included with the costumes on display? I know they can be an elusive detail for costumers to get clear looks at in the films, especially with Padme's dress costumes.

It's so exciting to know that many questions several of us have had for years regarding some of these costumes are potentially about to be answered due to this exhibit.

5. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    This exhibit was just the excuse I needed for the new digital cameras with the anti-shake mechanisim. So in low light with a slow shutter speed the photos will not be as blurry. I'm not sure if a cane will work since it is low to the ground and it can still wobble side to side?

Who knows if seeing the picnic gown in person will help me on version 2.0. If the fabric I bought and already dyed is totally wrong do I really want to invest in all new fabric? A blessing and curse this exhibit is! LOL!

- Kay Dee

6. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Woh! You all are making me envy! :_| I wanted to cry when I see the list of costumes and props coming to the exhibition here and only a few of my most favourite is coming. Make me want to fly to US now to see the exhibition in person since I'm more of Padme Costume person lately.

Can't wait to see more photos and can someone PLEASE check out of the Theed Invasion Gown (aka Escape from Naboo Black Gown) Outer Coat have those triangular pieces almost individually sew to the base or not. ;)

7. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    I'll ask my wife. I looked thorughmy shots and I don't see many shoes peeking out
    from under gowns. But I do know that the Emperors Red Guard do have their shoes under the
    robes. They are a rust red/brown suede pointed toe ( think Chelsea/beatle boot ) Calf high boot.

All of the non gown costumes have their shoes.

8. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    I'd appreciate it if someone going soon could let me know if they would allow a monopod.

I have a new digital (6.2 megapixel) SLR and I can change the ASA equivalent up to 3200. So I'm quite sure I'll be able to get photos in low light. I can hand hold quite decently down to 1/15th of a second. Using a monopod would make it much better.

I'm going in November. Seeing this post and the photos makes me wish it was next week!

9. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    A couple more images. Unfortunately with the no flash restriction, most
    are a little bluured. But here are some more,

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d730b3127cce93ab3acd1da400000015108AZtm7Nm5Ytj
    Tarkins Uniform. I think...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d730b3127cce93ab3ab49ced00000015108AZtm7Nm5Ytj
    Tusken Female headdress.

10. siLv_Rieekan

siLv_Rieekan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Damn your wife is so lucky

I would love to have the Anakin EP3 Costume for 10 mins to find out all the secrets that we dont know yet, like sewing points and valrco points :)

I can imagen that most of the girls here would more like to discover Hayden but i am only intressted in the costume :p

11. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Wow, Darth_Manos, thank you for all this fantastic info and the pictures! I know it's low light but looking at your photos the lighting looks brighter than I was expecting, so I'm feeling pretty confident about getting some good shots despite the no-flash rule.

12. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d733b3127cce93ab59da74c600000015108AZtm7Nm5Ytj

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d733b3127cce93ab59cc74d000000016108AZtm7Nm5Ytj
    Is this the pin everybody wanted to see?

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d733b3127cce93ab5e5b34dc00000015108AZtm7Nm5Ytj
    Xwing

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d733b3127cce93ab5e5f34d800000015108AZtm7Nm5Ytj
    Closer... And the Helmet is Fan Made, and the belt is the wrong belt. According
    to the Lucas folks. Sorry 'bout that. All wrong, All Lucas Approved... Go figure.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d733b3127cce93ab5981f5ad00000016108AZtm7Nm5Ytj
    Jango close up...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d733b3127cce93ab5985f5a900000016108AZtm7Nm5Ytj
    Emperors Guard shoes peeking out.

Oh, as to mono-pods, check with Michael Black. Someone asked The Director of FIDM that question while my wife was around.

Oh and they don't care if you guys bring your pantone color match stuff. They got a kick out of it that you all were paranoid about it. They think you guys are cute.

Triple oh... Unfortunately none of the Padme etc Gowns have the shoes. Sorry. But I have a feeling the book on sale in the gift shop might have some shots. For her efforts, Mr Lucas is Giving her a copy of the deluxe edition... signed by the afforementioned Mr Lucas. AND A regular copy also signed.

Since she is taking the camera with her, I won't be able to get to take shots of the remaining costumes. I might see if I can get the old 1.2 mega ancient fired up. It did decent macro shots. If I can't, I'll see if I can swing by on general public opening night.

After that y'all are on yer own!!!

13. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh cool, I'm glad to hear they are OK with the Pantone guide ;) (I've done it before at the motion picture exhibits they hold each year - just didn't know how how they'd feel at this exhibit).

Hoorah! We finally know what the brooch looks like on the Picnic Gown! Kind of a stylized dragonfly with a raspberry colored stone in the center. We even have a glimpse of the flower sequin (100% sure it's a sequin like the ones Ferd found. But are they white or gold. We will soon see!)

Thanks again for the photos! Can't wait for next Monday!

- Kay Dee

14. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    nice pics, finally a pic of that broach :D

15. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, I wasn't sure myself why everyone was stressing so hard about the color matching. . .I couldn't think why anyone would care. You're not hurting anything that way. . .Are they allowing flash photography? That's far more damaging to fabric than matching would be. Well, I guess that's their choice :)

Oh, PS, if the Bespin Leia is there, will someone please color match the tunic and pants for me? Pleasepleasepleaseplease?
    Thank you :)

16. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    oooohhh! so cool that we can finally see the broach!! =) that is so awesome!
    it's so pretty =) but then again would anyone expect anything less?

I can't wait to see more pics! =) I hope the rainbow dress is there, I really want to know what the "napkin ring" on the front of it looks like.

17. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    If someoone is taking pantone guides...I wouldn't mind some values or close approximations for the anakin stuff :)

18. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Oh man, I have *got* to get back to the West Coast before this exhibit ends! Of all the times to go to Boston for three months!

I know we're all massively excited about the prequel stuff, but are people going to take detailed shots of the classic trilogy costumes too? That'd be super-helpful for those of us working on the SW Musical this fall.

Caitlin

19. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    OMG! I think I just heard monks singing (Ahh-Ahh-Ahh-ohh-Ahh) when I opened the Picnic Dress photos. I seriously have goose bumps. You lucky, lucky people!!!! :)

Regards,
    M.

20. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I think I heard the same monks singing as you did Mirax! Thank you Manos.

Oh sweet joy, to see those picnic pictures...the pin, the vining...the sequins. [face_love]

edit: Doesn't the mannequin in the background look like it could have the peacock dress on it?

21. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Darth_Manos, I totally love you for getting a Pic of the Picnic Brooch! It's so silly, but I've been dying of curiousity about that stupid thing for years! It's really pretty - it looks Deco - and like Kay_dee said, kind of a stylized dragonfly!

Someone sent me two exhibit pics, and I can see the Picnic shoes peeking out from underneath!

Here they are (you may have to cut and paste these links into a browser)

http://www.padawansguide.com/fidm/tiki1.jpg
    http://www.padawansguide.com/fidm/tiki2.jpg

In these pics are:
    Padme Picnic
    Padme Purple Senate
    Padme Black Corset
    Padme Smocked Robe
    Padme Burgundy Velvet
    Padme Peacock
    Purple Handmaiden (from ROTS senate box)

This last is interesting because remember in the Insider they had all those detail shots and there was one that looked like a pansy and we couldn't figure out where it was from? Well, it's on the back of that handmaiden costume!

Also, I was told by someone else "if anyone goes to the exhibit, tell them to visit the restroom on the second floor, I think you have to ask the front desk for a pass to go upstairs and use the bathroom. As soon as you leave the elevators, there is Padme's purple and yellow cut scene senate gown and a drapey handmaiden outfit displayed in
    the lobby area, and one of the "gray" hooded cloaks in a case (there's one in the exhibit, but in the back, this one you can see up close... it's not gray, it's purple! And there's lace on it!)

It's almost like an exhibit Easter Egg!

I'm also told both Jamillia and Apailana are there!

More info as I get it!

22. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    OMG that handmaiden costume is gorgeous!

:: adds another costume to the to-do list ::

Great Photos :)

The more and more I see the picnic dress, the more and more I want to make it. Maybe I'll make it, not sure yet - THAT much embroidery scares me LOL.

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Fantastic pics Maggie!

That ROTS handmaiden dress is gorgeous. I suppose that's what Ellé (?) is wearing in the senate scene?

And in both pics you can see what looks like a whitish fabric from the train of a dress. It's to the bottom left of the picnic dress and/or the bottom right of the smocked blue robe. What is it? Her wedding dress, maybe maybe? *hopes so*

24. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    darth manos - Any chance your wife would be able to place a penny next to a sequin and a green flower on the picnic dress? Many of us would be very interested to know their true size.

Regards,
    M.

25. swguru2004

swguru2004 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Just out of curiosity who is planning on attending the opening day. I shall be, I was able to get tickets to the 10am portion. Should I get a shirt made saying I am swguru2004
    [face_mischief]

-Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.