main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Star Wars FIDM exhibit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by PadawansGuide, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I already ordered my book from Amazon because I had gift certificate coupons from them through my credit card - it's supposed to ship October 12th, which is, I think, the date being advertised for the book to come out. Maybe only FIDM has them earlier than that?

Anyway, since I am paying full price of $295, I will be *very* upset if mine doesn't come with swatches, when the Amazon description says it does. They would have to be sure all 2500 books come with swatches, or it's false advertising, I would think. I could see if they ran out of books before overstock.com gets their batch - but every book should come with swatches if that's what they are advertising. I'd love to get mine earlier at FIDM, but the plane ticket, hotel, and car rental are already going to set me back, so I will just have to wait til October and see what I get.

2. siLv_Rieekan

siLv_Rieekan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    damn i want those anakin swatches !!!! :)

could you take high res pics? :D

3. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    So how much would it be worth to the Padme's out there who are getting the book to sell little ol Primrodo the Anakin swatches....

4. Darth_Manos

Darth_Manos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2005
    I seriously doubt that they will move all of the costumes back. That would require re-spiking all of them. And re-wiring them. That would take way to long. BUT don't be surprised that they might move the 25 costumes that are in NYC further back when they get reinstalled.

Thank the idiot who messed with the Fett costume. To satisfy everyones curiosity, the ammo belt inserts are just piece of cardboard to help it keep its shape. Now wasn't that worth possibly messing up everyones fun for?

EDIT And they have cameras EVERYWHERE!!! If I can I'll see if I can get FIDM to allow me to post a picture of the offender. Then they can earn the scorn of everybody.

5. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    LMAO that would be great. It was probably some regular guest though. I'm sure the costumed volunteers were smart enough to keep their hands to themselves ;) I would have been tempted too though, but thats what the touchy feely wall is for :D

:: will resist urge to touch dresses as models walk by ::

6. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    I was once at the Denver Museum looking at the Imperial Tombs of China exhibit. I was fascinated by the terra cotta warriors and horses. They have such amazing detail. But, of course, I was raised well and taught to hold my thumb behind my back when in a museum as a kid (which I still do at age 31). So, I wasn't touching anything, but I was really fascinated by the detail in the horse's tail, so I was trying to get a closer look. My friend who was with me suddenly grabbed the back of my shirt and pulled me upright. Apparently, I had bent too far over the barricade and nearly broke the beam and set off the alarm. Whoops! I felt so dumb, but I was so intrigued by the beauty of these pieces I didn't pay attention to the security devices.

7. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    I'll go through my photos and see if there are more to share. The costumes left for NYC yesterday. Now back to work...

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Aw, that's understandable electrakitty. It's easy to lose yourself while looking at something like that. The important thing is that you weren't intending to touch it. :)
    I think the most horrifying thing I've ever witnessed in a museum was seeing a group of people leaning over the barrier around the Rosetta Stone and rubbing their hands all over it. Ack! [face_frustrated]

kay_dee, I hope you decide to pick up the deluxe book when you're down there next week just to insure you get one. :)

9. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    Ah Lord of the Rings. That was another show my wife enjoyed helping put up.

Oh, I think they will probably get a handful of Episode 3 costumes for their annual Hollywood show. So even if you don't get to see this show, you might still get to see a few costumes later on.

Any Suggestions? I'll pass them ontomy wife. She might have a little input on what they get.

10. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Argh! I really wanted to see more of the cut-scene dress Padme wore when she visited her parents in Episode II, not the cloak!

If anyone finds anyone to ask that maybe helped put up the display, would you ask about the trim used on her top? I know it looks like small stones in some pictures I've seen, but I'm curious to what was used.

And thanks to everyone for sharing their pics thus far! :)

11. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    Ill say it again.....you lucky lucky...GAH! Wish theyd do a world tour of this exhibit. Us brits miss out on so much *sigh*

12. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    OMG! What amazing photos!

Is there any chance that someone who put the displays up could give info on Leia's Hoth jumpsuit? I'd love to have some photos of the real thing without that vest in the way. Wishful thinking, I know. :)

13. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Oooooooooh aaaaahhhh wow! Thanks for the pictures everyone!

If anyone could get a few close ups of the smocked blue robe, I would really appreciate it!

:)

ecila

14. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    -=seriously in tears=- I was looking at my schedule the other day when my Mother asked what my day was like now that I was working on costumes for Metro's shows. As I flipped through my planner, she mentioned that the last weekend of the current show was the weekend we had planned to tour UCLA, FIDM and the exhibit. I spent all that money on plane tickets and made hotel reservations and plans to have to cancel them! :_|

We're going to try to reschedule, but I'm just so devestated! A once in a lifetime chance and I'm stuck sycophantically following around an ancient designer who doesn't seem to like me that much in the first place.

15. nya

nya Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2001
    I am planning on taking my family over Thanksgiving break. It's the soonest I can get a request off from work and when the kids won't have school. I'm taking my 17 year old brother and his girlfriend and my little 9 year old sis.

Does anyone know how long they let you "hang out" once inside the exhibit? I would stay there all day if they let me. I plan on taking some great pictures and color match all of the Padme gowns and the Jedi stuff. That is going to take awhile to do (aside from just gawking at them for hours :p ). I am going for a few days, so maybe I will buy tickets for three days instead of one.

16. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION!!!

Ok... I might be able to get one person into the
    New York City Star Wars Runway Fashion Show.

Not in the audience. Not Backstage.

But in the actual show.

Got your attention?

GOOD.

Heres the catch. You must be 6'6" tall. And have a 30" waiste.

EDIT---- YOU MUST LIVE IN THE AREA. I know this weeds out
    the one person who might fit, but I doubt they are going to fly you in
    from Pago Pago to do this. SORRY ABOUT THAT I THOUGHT I HAD PUT IT IN THE ORIGINAL
    MESSAGE.

It seems they are going through Luke Ford Modeling Agency, and can't
    find anyone of that stature. I'm 6'6, but have a 33 inch waiste. So close....

They are desperate. So if you fit the bill ( pun intended ) contact me. If you know someone
    who is those measurments, let them know to contact me.

I can't one hundred percent guarentee this as they may find somebody
    by the time people see this and get back to me. To say time is of the
    essence is an understatement!

But if you'd like to be this guy

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d733b3127cce94512495854b00000015108AZtm7Nm5Ytj

Contact me. If it all falls into place, you could be sweating your ass
    off, while living out a dream... Sounds Kinky..No?

17. swguru2004

swguru2004 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    :_|:_|:_|:_|:_|

*Vader* NOOOOOOOOO!!!! */Vader*

If only I was 5" taller

18. Darth_Manos

Sep 11, 2005
    Yeah, If it was just a few years ago, I'd be there.

And I tried to get them to do Vader, no luck... That one I'd fit into.

19. swguru2004

swguru2004 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    [face_mischief] Can't blame you for trying tho....but i woulda been VERY VERY unhappy that you got to wear THE suit and I didn't

20. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Such wonderful photos already, can't wait until all of you who are going get your chances with your cameras. I would be very happy to see a full shot of Breha Organa, I still don't really know that her gown looks like under the waist.

21. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    My husband and I are going to try to go see the exhibit, probably towards the end!

:)

ecila

22. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    This is going to sound entirely anal, even silly, but would it make any sense to list all the costumes and 'assign' certain people who will be attending a specific costume(s) to concentrate special attention on and report their findings back to the rest of us?

I'm sure plenty of pics will be taken of everything. I can just picture Sister-Sola or kay-dee or Maggie taking hundreds of detail shots of each piece and being forcibly removed at the end of the day. :) (SOOO envious!)

But, with the opportunity to ASK about fabrication and other info, it would be a shame if no new info was found for certain costumes because no one was concentrating on them. Also, if the info is spread out over 30-50 people, the workers won't be so overwhelmed the first day.

What do you think?

Regards,
    M.

23. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Great idea, logistically! Lol, if we get to go, I am all over the blue velvet smocked robe!

;)

ecila

24. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Mirax, I like your idea.
    I think the other potentially great thing about it is that those people who cannot attend can know that someone from here will be willing to take extra time to find out about something that maybe they really wanted to see. Like we now know that Obi-Anne is interested in Breha's gown. So someone who goes could take extra time to ask about it and take pics for her. I think that would be a wonderful thing to do for those who can't make it out to LA.

25. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I think generating a list of questions or desired detail shots for each costume would be a very good thing.

I think we have very good general descriptions of a lot of costumes (particularly Amidala and Padme) - but obviously even hi-res pics aren't enough (like in the case of still not being able to see the picnic shawl pin).

It would nice to know what details people are looking for. In the case of the non-Padme, non-Jedi ones, I'm sure there is far less info and if someone is actually looking to make one of those, we can be sure it's covered.

It's really nice to get general full-length photos of each costume, but for those of you with cameras that are good in low-light, it'd be really nice to get hi-res pics, as clear as we can get, of some of the details. My camera will likely not cut it, though I'm hoping Kay_dee and Jedi Kai will have better luck!

Obviously I'm happy to post images, compile info, and try and keep things organized on that end, but if someone wants to take charge of compiling lists of photo requests for each costume and then assign at least one of us to make sure those questions are answered as best as we can, that'd be great.

Kay_dee, Sola, LadySonnet, and I will be out there Columbus Day weekend and we were only planning to go on Saturday. But I think now, after having seen just how many costumes are there, we are thinking about going back on Sunday too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.