main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA Star Wars Galaxies?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by EMK, Jun 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EMK

EMK Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    Anyone else playing star wars galaxies?

2. SRB_Jedi_Knight

SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Not yet, but I am looking forward to it in the future.

If you have played would you care to give us a review?

3. stagelife

stagelife Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2003
    shushhhhhh
    dont speak of this game... I like so many others am recovering everquest addict ..shushhhh

4. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Yeah, I can't be staying up until 6am waiting for someone to kill a rancor that's standing over my corpse.

5. EMK

May 18, 2002
    My quick review:

Excuse me if this is bad, I have no talent for review !

Personally, for me this is nostalgic b/c in college I used to play MUDS and well , games like Everquest/Galaxies is just the graphical versions of these.

The first two days had serious technical problems, but now they seem to have worked out the the major technical kinks.

Postivies:

I enjoy the fact that the game is skill based not level based. Its strange b/c in this game you can choose to become everything from a smuggler, bounty hunter , jedi to a merchant or farmer and/or doctor/architect. What's bizzare to me is, there is an Entertainer Class, which fills the important function of healing battle fatigue. Srange but there are players who hang out at the various Cantinas just dancign and singing. In fact, the other night I saw a PC which was a Wookie musician wiggling his furry butt in the Cantina. And last time I logged on he was still there!

You can join the Galactic Empire faction or the Rebel faction too ! Also, it takes place in the interesting time period between ANH and ESB.

Free for 30 days. (but of course the frellin game cost $50.00!)

8 species to choose from , everything from Humans; Bothans; Mon Calamari; Rodians; Trandoshans; Twi'leks; Wookiees; Zagrak

The Music. Not the annoying stuff that's typical of these types of games.

The negative so far is:
    1. Missions (which are analogous to quests in fantasy type games): the missions in this game are all the same, which gets to be SO boring. They really need to do something about adding some more intersting missions.

2. Grouping: they still need to tweak the game to make grouping more enjoyable. I personally find the grouping aspect of RPG type games to be one of the "key" addictive factors.

3. Equipment: so far there doesn't seem to be loads of interesting equip/weapons to attempt to require. But then again, eventually I guess there will be PC Artisans who raise theri skill level high enough to become tailors/weaponsmiths, so I guess that could be the reason for the lack of equip/weapons so far.

4. $15.00 a month to play ! after paying $50.00 for the game and having to buy expansions later on. (they are apparently planning on adding an expasnion in near future for ships etc..)

** I have only played for 2.5 days , so excuse the horrible review**

If anyone decides to start playing, I'm on the Tarquinas server, name: Chianna Sora'aruku. - Medic/Scout/Marksman.

6. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    I haven't played this game and I don't plan to (I don't pay to play), but I thought I'd comment on your review a little.

In fact, the other night I saw a PC which was a Wookie musician wiggling his furry butt in the Cantina. And last time I logged on he was still there!

Hmm, makes me wonder if someone hasn't already figured out how to script their character so they can just leave the computer running, logged in, and have it run autonomously.

2. Grouping: they still need to tweak the game to make grouping more enjoyable. I personally find the grouping aspect of RPG type games to be one of the "key" addictive factors.

I believe this was one of the major goals of the game. To encourage people to play together. Unfortunately, I think they were going about it the wrong way. From what I've heard, they were trying to make it unlike EQ so that you wouldn't have large groups of people running around dominating things (which will eventually happen in an RPG when the characters get good enough). Sounds like it still needs some work in Galaxies though.

4. $15.00 a month to play !

They gotta pay for the servers, bandwidth, and personnel somehow :p

7. stagelife

stagelife Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2003
    i just want to know how much of that $15 Lucas puts in his pocket!

8. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Actually, I'm willing to bet it's very little. In case you aren't aware, EQ2 is going to cost the same. That money sure isn't going to just one person. It seriously goes to pay for support, new content, bandwidth, and servers. None of those things are cheap (especially new content, developers are not cheap) and they have to have a way to pay for them.

9. EMK

May 18, 2002
    Furry wigglin' Wookiees
    I thought the musician Wookiee was a script also, but I actually conversed with it. That's when I realized that there are strange people out there. I guess they just want to socialize. *shrugs* Then again I noticed there were female PC's who like to dance around in their underware in the Catina for hours too ! .. very very strange..

I think they added the fact that you can only heal battle fatigue watching an entertainer , just to force people to socialize.

$15.00

I know they have to actually make a profit! but the monthly fee is still a negative :p
    I don't really mind paying it though, especially since I spend way more than $15.00 at Diedrich's in a week!

Grouping
    Here is another annoying thing. If you are an entertainer/medic grouping and choose not to attack but just to heal other group members, you only gain $ not battle/combat experience.

10. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Then again I noticed there were female PC's who like to dance around in their underware in the Catina for hours too !

:eek: really?! Wow, maybe I will have to get this game afterall :D

JK :p

The people who are on there that seem like they're ALWAYS on there probably are nearly on all the time. They're also probably in Jr. High or High School so they really do have a lot of free time. Either that or they're independently wealthy so they can spend a LONG time on the game. Of course, there is always the third option. They work from home and have a separate computer with the game running on it constantly. I know of a guy that does that for EQ. He logs on 3 different computers with 3 different characters so he can run around with them. He also buys items off ebay though, so he's probably just a little looney ?[face_plain]

11. MALICE_MIZER

MALICE_MIZER Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    Can anyone post the specs for the game? Like processor-wise, video card, etc? My video card is a GeForce the size of a BRICK, and I don't want to waste a trip to Fry's buying the game if I can't play it...Of course, a trip to Fry's isn't really a bad thing.

12. EMK

May 18, 2002
    Specs necessary :

CPU: Intel PIII 933 mhz/AMD Athlon 900 minimum / Intel PIV 1.5 or AMD 1500 recommended

Memory: 256 MB required(but believe me not nearly enough at 256 unless you want lag) 562 recommended (in my opinion more than 562 is about just right)

Graphics Card: 32 MB 3d graphics card required; 64 MB 3d Graphics card recommended

note: the game does not seem to really need a fast CPU as much as it seriously eats up memory ! and the graphics are beautiful so , if you really want to enjoy the graphics you need a decent graphics card :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.