main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

STAR WARS GALAXIES..........

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by kitarusapien, Jan 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    Well....after waiting a LLLLOOOONNNGGGG time for the game(1.8GB)to load onto my comp, I've had the pleasure of playing this, my first online role-playing SW game, and I must say, despite a slow start, the avenues seem wide, the scenarios are numerous, the play is diverse, and the player interaction is outstanding! For those not in the know, this game puts you(select Mon Calmari, Zabrak, Rodian, Twi'L, Human, Bothan or Wookie)within six major professions and lets you build from there, going throughout a nine planet system with all the amenities you could ask for including traditional Empire/Rebel encounters, smuggling, fighting, exploring......you get the picture......but it also gives you elite professions including creature handling, commando, doctor, entertainer, bodyguard, rifleman, weaponsmith, armoursmith, bio-engineer, bounty hunter, scientist, merchant, slicer....basically, anything you could possibly want to achieve if you have the time and patience. In my short adventures, I've found the game to be lacking graphically, but quite stimulating in the player interactions and the seemingly limitless possibilities for the avid player would puts in a couple of hours or more per day playing it. This game was apparently released without fanfare, but has literally thousands of people online playing at any one time. The servers must be Cray supers because the volume of recorded info for a character of high power usually has attained several Master disciplines that required numerous work-through of lower standings, not to mention vast belongings, sometimes even whole cities created by said characters(and not the lame sim-city genre, either!)that can often run by themselves once created, generating tremendous incomes and such. I tried to estimate just the amount of info the servers were having to track just in a small town like Anchorhead with, oh, I'd say thirty PC's runnin' around at any one time, most of which were mid to uppercrust characters......the amount of experience points, diverse powers and posessions boggled my mind......I really don't know how the game keeps up with all the live interactions....it's just amazing! And the player interaction is gratefully benign and cooperative, a nice break from other online games I've played where you simply killed or got smeared. In a nutshell........

"I like this game!"

I figure in another six months, I might have a character worth braggin' about....but right now, I stupidly wandered onto Dan...., um, yu kno, that other "....toine" without really knowing how bad the scenarios were there......maybe I'll just let myself by crushed and reclone back on peaceful Tattoine.....FLOL!

2. TK-4752

TK-4752 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 20, 2002
    You should create a character on Eclipse -- RDT (the wife) and I can hook you up with all sorts of stuff (like macros that make advancing in the professions a LOT easier...and of course -- MONEY). :D Look for "Zoom" and "Chyrina" when yer on. Having friends with resources and stuff when yer first starting out makes life a LOT easier in the game.

We've been playing since August, and it's somehow managed to still hold our short attention spans. I like my Mon Calamari, and RDT likes her Zabrak (who wants to be a HUMAN? blech), and both are members of the Rebel Alliance. We even created an extra character on Eclipse to manage our resources -- a cute little Rodian female.

The game also allows play as a Jedi, but it requires a lot of effort to open up the character slot, and there are a lot of downfalls to playing a Jedi, but the advantages are insane. I'd estimate I'm probably halfway to opening my Jedi slot, but I've mastered 6 professions so far, and am working on mastering another 3. It's really cool having a pet Rancor. :D

The main crowd of people are hardly die-hard SW fanatics -- most are "EverQuest" or "Dark Ages of Camelot" refugees that wanted something different. Very very few of them have ever heard of theforce.net, any of the FanForces, or even the 501st Legion. In fact, I've yet to play with a person who has, but supposedly there's a server where a handful of 501st members play as Stormtroopers.

And the disclaimer -- the game can become an all-consuming obsession. I've been able to curb by obsession with it for the most part, and RDT's mostly gotten herself under control. :)

3. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I had a subscription for a while when the first game came out, but woe is me, I am but a poor college student. That and I should probably concentrate on studies and not SWG ;)

It's a fun game though! At one point in time I had three versions of my dead body to recover. :D Had to get a hunting party together to get it back!

4. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Yeah, I played it when it first came out and after mastering the pistoleer and having friends make me super powerful pistols, running around in the desert shooting bugs, it got old fast.

That and the 20mb updates every 2 days, that got annoying too so I'm SW GALAXIES FREE!

5. RubberDuckTape

RubberDuckTape Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 27, 2003
    There is no escaping the SWG. It WILL get you in the end. =P

On a completely different note, i also LOVE the game, and find it hard to leave it for family time and such. BUT i am working on it, and only play for about an hour a day, more if the house is cleaned and such. It is fun having a vast Tailoring empire (well, only 2 planets) and logging on to another 60-100k of credits and a mailbox full of 'vendor sale completed'. If you don't think it is that visually stunning, have you been to naboo? they have the palace, the waterfalls, and all sorts of stuff. (yes gunguns too. /sigh)
    I love the naboo houses, we even discussed building one in rl one day. =P

anyway, if you want a 'leg up' in the game, go to eclipse and send either of us mail/tell. I have more money than i know what to do with, and i love helping new players. (and i only charge them a melon. =)

6. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    i got the book they based on the game last night.

7. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    JO: I'll admit, once you master a profession, and play with it for a couple weeks, it DOES get old. That's why there's tons of other professions to master...

Commando: Fun, and I LOVED the power.
    Creature Handler: Uber-neat.
    Image Designer: Really cool, and you have access to all the options you get at character creation time, and more.
    Ranger: Can track any animal or person on a planet, and make camps that have better healing mods than hospitals.
    Bio-Engineer: Can create different version of creatures -- rancors that spit acid, and stuff, y0.

There's also armorsmiths and weaponsmiths that can create super-powerful armor and weapons. RDT's tailor makes an insane amount of money because everyone constantly changes their clothes.

JGoC: Yes. School is more important. The last person that asked if they should start playing, I told them not to, and to get Knights of the Old Republic. I don't want to be responsible for pulling anyone into this horrid waste of time. :D I used to have a life, ya know? I used to SLEEP sometimes, too!

8. Swomz

Swomz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    I will be playing on Eclipse, Gorath, and/or Wanderhome.

9. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    I may have to stop playing the game.....for some reason, my character now has a ghastly green mask on, and all other characters I come in contact with have the same mask, and my system keeps crashing every minute or so.......and naturally, the server people want me to send in this horrendous list of txt files so they can supposedly work through the problem,....FLOL!

By the way....anybody know anything about WY-FI for internet connections? Anything local?

10. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    Dude. Sounds like you need to re-install the game. First uninstall it. I've heard of botched installations where you can't see peoples' faces, but never the weird mask problem. :)

11. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    If yur talkin about reinstallin the disks....I've done that about six times, and done the full sacan about a dozen times, but there's no way I'm givin' up my character now, so it's either fix the problem and save my character, or I drop the game. Also, the loader said something about shutting off any virus programs first, but I haven't been able to locate any running onmy system, so I don't think that's the issue.

12. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    That's really odd. Can you post a screenshot of what you and other people look like? You can use the PRINTSCREEN button to get a screenshot, and the images get saved in your SWG game folder as JPGs.

13. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    I'll get right on that.........altho, after totally rerigging my comp, and reinstalling the disks again, I'm not getting kicked off near as much now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.