main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Galaxies

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Baron_Soontir_Fel, Nov 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron_Soontir_Fel

Baron_Soontir_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2003
    Hey guys and gals, just peeking in from the Manchester board and was wondering if anyone owns/has played SW Galaxies. I'm thinking of getting it but want to be informed before I dump a bunch of cash for a game I might not like.

Any comments/opinions wil be appreciated!

2. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    If it weren't for my lack of a "real" job, I would have that and the "Jump to Lightspeed" expansion. I've thus had to live vicariously through my Cantina friends (see second link in signature), and most of them seem to like it. The game has even attracted the founders of the X-Wing squads on CompuServe (which have since migrated to the web). If you want to look for my friends, get the game and find them playing on the Intrepid server. The MEC guild hall is near Mos Eisley at the moment. A good bet would be to give Strongbow or Strongbow-alt (whichever is online)a /tell and tell him you know Wildstar. He should be able to get you started. ;)

3. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    I got the game when it originally came out. I stayed with it for about a year and got bored with it. Now I didn't do "everything" in the game and I'm a die-hard SW fan. I started having a hard time finding groups to hunt with and the game just got boring for me. And Tailors were apparently low on the list of professions to get new stuff.
    After awhile it just didn't feel like SW anymore, it got repetative.
    I was also a bit disappointed when they announced Ithorians for JTL as I've always liked them. After spending the unknown amount of hours getting my current character to where he was I wasn't going to go thru it again.
    But, if you're a SW fan you'll probably enjoy the game, I would suggest signing up for a few months first to see how you like it.

4. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    It's been so long since I played a "current" computer game. I played a couple of the older Star Wars ones a long, long time ago. Galaxies looks really cool - and I have a lot of friends who have really liked it. A warning though, some of those friends became addicted to the game and spent way too much time in front of their computers. As a collector I might buy it but I just don't have the time to play.

5. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    That happens a lot with MMORPGs :) By the game's very nature you have to spend lots of time playing it to get anywhere.
    That's why I love City of Heroes. You can just drop in for an hour quick-fix of gaming, accomplish something, and logout.

6. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    Looks like a search for "Galaxies" and "Eclipse" drops me right here. LOL. I'm "Zoom" and "Zuuhm" on Eclipse. :)

The grinding aspect of SWG sucks. I ended up getting tired of the game, especially after seeing that I'm 800 hours of hardcore play before my main becomes a Jedi (sheesh).

The JTL expansion is a lot more like a drop-in, shoot a few things, and leave kind of game and I think it's more fun. Granted, you can make it a lot more than that, but not all of us have time to spend 12 hours a day exploring the galaxy or hunting the Black Sun. :D

7. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    I picked up a copy of SW Insider and noticed it came with a 14 day trial of SW Galaxies. I'm going to give it a try but want to maximize the 14 days as much as possible. Does anyone have any tips for a newbie so that I can enjoy it while I can?

8. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Don't make any plans for the next 14 days ;) That would include sleep as well.

9. Baron_Soontir_Fel

Baron_Soontir_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2003
    Ok guys, I'm in desperate need of help ASAP. I'm at my inlaws ready to try the demo disc of Galaxies, and now I find out I need a UPC code from the magazine that it came with to play it. ARRRRGH!! My copy is an hour away and there is no way that I can get it. Could someone please be so kind to post one for me please as soon as possible? It is from the newest mag, with Chewie and Tarful on the cover.

Again, please help me. You are my only hope :)

10. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I'm finally going to use that free 14-day trial of Galaxies and could use some advice. I know that you can start off with one of a few different character occupations but which one should I start with? Is there anyone still playing that I might be able to look for when I start up? I won't stick to you the whole time, I just want to get a quick feel for where I am and where to go next.

11. -Raldayen-

-Raldayen- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2003
    Hey Outcast I just started playing Galaxies after not playing for about a year and a half. I play on the Scylla Server as Raldayen Mawr'Veluma. Drop me a line if you need a little help. I play during the week but I play more on the weekends.

12. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Drop me a line if you need a little help.

You mean in the game through some type of communications system? Do I find you in a part of town, like in a shop?

I play during the week but I play more on the weekends.

I'm probably going to be starting up tomorrow night (around 7:00pm). Any chance I'll bump into you then?

13. -Raldayen-

Sep 27, 2003
    There is an in game E-mail system. So all you have to do is send me an E-mail(just the first name) and the next time I log on I'll get it. Just tell me what planet and city your in and I should be able to find you quick. I should be on tommorow. I'm trying to become a Jedi and that takes alot of XP grinding.

14. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Cool! I'll definately look you up once I get in :D.

15. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I managed to get onto SW Glaxies last night! Thanks again Raldayen for putting up with me while I figured out how to use the chat feature :oops: [face_blush]. I'm going to try to figure out how to earn some experience points while completing my first mission. That and I'm going to try and get a landspeeder with the deed in my inventory :confused:. Thanks again!

16. -Raldayen-

Sep 27, 2003
    hey no problem. Once you get used to the interface we'll go hunting. Hopefully Imperials. Lol.

17. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Once you get used to the interface we'll go hunting. Hopefully Imperials. Lol.

Roger that Sgt. sir [face_salute]!

18. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I've been having some trouble getting used to the game with my first character (scout), so I went and made a new character (marksman) on a different server. So far I've been doing much better with the marksman. I've learned two skills so far from the marksman trade and once I get enough credits saved I'll have a skill in the srtisan trade too. All together I've taken on the marksman, scout, artisan and medic traits that I'm practicing. I'm enjoying my time with this more than I thought I would. Maybe I'll sign up for good someday.

19. -Raldayen-

Sep 27, 2003
    I haven't picked a main class either. I've been jumping around. Alliance Pilot, Marksman, Medic, Scout, Creature Handler, Pistoleer, and soon to be Fencer. I need to master them most of them anyways if I want to become a Jedi.

20. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Well tonight's the last night of my free 14-day trial :(. I wasn't too sure if I would be able to get into this game when it first came out but it's been fun playing through the different professions and selecting missions based on those professions. After having played it I'm definately going to try and pickup a subscription to this someday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.