main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Syra, NY Star Wars Galaxies?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by darthSadarr, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthSadarr

darthSadarr Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2006
    Does anyone play this online game? If you do let me know .. Lets go online and play the game .. Who is your character ..

2. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I have it but do not play online I cant afford the monthly fee. I do have jedi outcast.... do u play that one?

I posted in the FFc regarding online playing.
    SW related I play SW BF 1 &2 online and jedi outcast.

non SW related I play
    Gauntlet 7 sorrows
    Champions of Norrath
    return to arms

I have other online ones for Xbox.
    Halo 1&2
    so...... just let me know which ones u have. I am always up for some online gaming! :):-B

3. darthSadarr

Feb 1, 2006
    The only other one i play is star wars jedi knight jedi academy ....

4. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    hmm. everyone has that... I will have to check into that one.. is the academy one good?

5. darthSadarr

Feb 1, 2006
    jedi academy ... Its ok ... not the best game ive played but pretty good ... I dont like the way the game handles thou ... thats the only thing i dont like

6. DarthPaul66

DarthPaul66 Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2005
    I played Galaxies for two and a half years.

There is not a day that goes by that I wish Blizzard had developed the game. There were about Galaxies. One was the immense diversity in creating your character. Clothes and armor could be made to fit your desires. If you wanted pink hotpants, no problem.

The crafting portion of the game was spectacular. Each resource had a number of different attributes which actually meant something. The quality of your materials impacted the quality of your combines. And even the best crafters had a chance of failure during a combine. Just enough to make one sweat before doing it. Minerals had to be surveyed for. DNA need to be collected by Bio-Engineers. As a Bio-Engineer, there was always the question of what if I crossed a Rancor with a Dewback, etc. ? I just wanted to be able to sample Ewoks and Wookies. :p

There were so many professions at the beginning, it was amazing. Dancers had seductive moves. Doctors, Bounty Hunters, Creature Handlers, etc. There was always something new to learn.

However, SOE was so inept handling the game. You could tell exactly where development began to get rushed. Classes were very unbalanced. At times in the history of the game a person could solo even the toughest of content with the right build. Dungeons were not instanced so the fight for decent loot was difficult at best.

The worst mistake SOE made was allowing macros to be recursive. People could AFK through nearly any profession. There was no reason to care about mastering professions unless you were aspiring for Jedi. You had to master a number of "secret" professions before you could become force sensitive. After that fiasco, they moved onto having the path to be quest related, which was a bit more palatable to people. Last I new, the game was made more of a twitch first-person shooter, which I detested and many of the professions were removed for the "benefit" of the game at large. The game was good while it lasted, but servers can be bit of ghost towns now I understand.

The game really didn't feel very Star Wars-y, though I have to admit. I can't criticize because I don't know exactly what they could have done to make it more so. Doing the Emperor's quests was about as Star Wars as it got for me. Sadly, the game was just rushed out the door, and SOE caved to whiners nearly all the time, not really paying attention to how it affected the overall game. And as typical of Sony, announcements were made but not carried through to keep people waiting for a fix and paying.

As I said before, I wish Blizzard had acquired the license for the game. World of Warcraft does have it's own weaknesses, but nowhere near the severity Star Wars: Galaxies had and still has. Sorry to ramble. I just had some time.

7. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    LOL not rambling, thanks for your thoughts.... I have had this game for awhile and have never used it :(

8. rockskigrrl

rockskigrrl Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2006
    I finally signed back up, my character is Amineura Tehfetturo, a Twilek Jedi with violet skin and green lekku markings. What is your character?

9. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    are they still charging 20.00 a mo to play? Thats the one thing that prevents me from joining for now :(

10. rockskigrrl

rockskigrrl Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2006
    I think if you just sign up for galaxies it's 14.99 a month, for the entire station site (with ever quest, etc..) it's over $20.

11. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    hmm, will have to check it out. I just dont have alot of time to play so I would want to make sure I got my moneys worth.. LOL

Maybe after the holidays ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.