main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Galaxies

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Jax Nova, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Jax Nova

Jax Nova Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 22, 2014
    Anyone else here play Star wars Galaxies on any of the emulators that are out there?

To me Galaxies was always (and still is) the best game out there, star wars or non-starwars. I've been playing on an emulator called Rogue One lately. Love it! It has the entire game implemented and active and then some of their own additions. (all great)

2. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I got into Galaxies just as it was dying and always regretted what could've been. How are you finding it? Is there much lagging? Is there anyone else still on the server or is the MMO servers off as you're on an emulator?

I feel like after playing TOR for years, I would probably be slightly underwhelmed with the graphics, gameplay and dynamics of Galaxies if I were to return now.

Btw, when looking at Galaxies in Google Images, there seems to be alot of Death Trooper content associated with it. The timeline seems ways off (both in-universe and in reality, as I remember the book coming out in about 2009-2011 area) but was there actually some add on/expansion for the title? Here is just one of the many images I found on Google Images.

[​IMG]

I know not to trust anything on the internet...but this definitely has me intrigued.

3. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016
    Death Troopers are a *completely* different concept in Galaxies. There was a whole area on Dathomir dedicated to the Deathtrooper stuff. Basically just zombie stormtroopers with blasters as opposed to the elite soldiers we see in Rogue One.

_Sublime_Skywalker_ likes this.
  4. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Well, those zombie-like Death Troopers were (re)canonized(2014 in Star Wars: Commander) and recently(2016) renamed into "Undead Troopers"(again for Star Wars: Commander).

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Undead_Trooper

Pablo Hildago's RO: Then Ultimate Visual Guide makes a reference for the Death Troopers/Undead Troopers for the Death Troopers of Rogue One, they could be somewhat related even.

5. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016

Canon is canon I guess...but urgh. I never, ever liked the zombie stuff from DT. I much prefer the DTs as just "Navy Seals" of the Empire.

6. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I remember playing this back in 2010 until it closed. But 2010 is when I actually got the game and subscribed. Before that I constantly did the 14 day trial and played it that way. Was fun, although I never liked the lack of a good story or missions. Some might find that good, but I found it hard to level up. But all the stuff in the game was great.

7. Jax Nova

Jan 22, 2014

The emulator is basically a private server that has re-created the game. There are several of them out there, but many not very populated. The one I am on generally has 200 or more ISP addresses connected most days. Has buffs available 24/7 pretty much as well as grouping. Of those 200 or more IP addresses most people have several alts logged on so over the entire galaxy your looking at possibly 400 or more characters logged on.

Still a far cry from the sprawling game it was back in live but it's still tons of fun and due to the smaller population it's a lot more of a tight knit community in many ways.

The "Death trooers" or zombie troopers were from the live version and have recently been used on several emulators I think as a haloween event in game prior to Christmas. That is possibly why it is so prevalent on google at the moment.

_Sublime_Skywalker_

Yeah, I did a lot of that as well. 14 day trial. Thankfully the emulators are free. Technically that is the only legal way for people to do it. Under fandom laws they can re-create the game and make it available as long as they are not making money it avoids copyright issues.

There are some storylines in the theme parks, but it certainly is not as story driven as TOR and other MMORPGs. It's a sandbox style for sure, but I always liked that. It's so open ended. Leveling is much easier as well, due to it being pre CU version (on this particular server) You have no levels, you just have skill points and skills you can "buy" with them. I can max out a skill tree in a day if I focus on it. After you spend your skill points it's just a matter of grinding credits for better gear and grinding bunkers to get better armor attachments and clothing tapes.

StarWarsFreak93

8. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    TBH, I'm surprised there's even an average of 400 characters a day. What with TOR coming out with constant updates and expansions, and the fact alot of players had issues with the game near the end. I'm glad it's kept a fan base, and it sounds like it is just as much fun as it was back then. I'm not exactly familiar with non-console emulators, any suggestion on which one to check out to play the game? I think I'm intrigued...

9. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I'd love to play the emulator, but I bought a digital copy of the game. Would that work? Don't have it installed currently either.

10. Jax Nova

Jan 22, 2014
    _Sublime_Skywalker_ I think Galaxies appeals still because it is so different than TOR. They are both MMO and starwars, but TOR is story driven to an extreme while Galaxies is a sandbox. So it also appeals to a lot different types. Myself I love both games but always liked Galaxies better. The issues people had at the end don't exist in most emulator versions. They kept the game the way it was when everyone liked it, before the CU and NGE updates, so a lot of people love that fact.

I would recommend the Rogue One Emulator. They are really on top of things and doing constant updates. They have added over 14 new species to play, as well as multiple planets. If you want to check it out just visit their website. http://www.swgrogueone.com/ The forum has a lot of helpful tips as well.

StarWarsFreak93 The digital copy will work as long as you still have the files. You have to have the original SWG TRE files. I used the TRE files from a digital download, so if you still have them they should work. There is a section on the forum with some instructions on how to get things working, but basically you install the original game, then download the launcher from the website, then direct the launcher to the original TRE files. It should update the launcher and after that's done you are good to go.

11. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    Thanks Jax! I'm super stoked to check it out, I appreciate the info! :)

12. Jax Nova

Jan 22, 2014
    Sure thing! :D

Hope you get it working, it's always awesome to get new players on the server! :D