main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Star Wars Games HD Remix!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Nathan Jeffers, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Nathan Jeffers

Nathan Jeffers Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2014
    Hey i thought this would be a fun idea!

What pre-hd era star wars game do you think deserves an hd remake and why?
    My pic was Shadows of the Empire! Mainly because it was one of the few games that felt really a part of the universe with a story line that could really fall into official cannon, and had an amazing novel to go with it!

Whats your pic? Only one please!

2. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Star Wars: Forceboat

The2ndQuest , jp-30 and Ender Sai like this.
  3. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Shadows of the Empire was made in a time when the logic of video games still trumped common sense. If that game was made today, I think people would be asking why a cargo loading droid is attacking you. Is it common to assign droids with extending forklift arms, designed for manual labour, to guard duty? Does it mistake you for a crate? :p In the escape from Echo Base level, how did they manage to bring an AT-ST into a room where it cannot fit through the door leading into it? And why is it guarding that room anyway? What's so valuable in there? :p

The point is, doing Shadows of the Empire in modern near photorealistic graphics would not fit that game's now antiquated conventions of game design, and would do it an injustice. The entire structure of the game would have to change, until it's no longer the same game, like the GoldenEye remake. However, I suppose one could just upscale the resolution of the old one and re-release it as a downloadable classic.

4. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    Dark Forces could be an interesting FPS that would look awesome in this day and age. It would have to be more than just an HD remaster though, game mechanics and level design will have to be completely redone to fit modern FPS gameplay. No more mysteriously carrying around 10+ items of heavy weaponry.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    all the dark forces/jedi knight games.

darklordoftech, spicer and vinsanity like this.
  6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

But that would mean it would appeal to the cretins who play FPS on PSN and XBox Live, which means that the MP would be a cesspit of sexism and 12yr olds smacktalking.

jp-30 likes this.
  7. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    And we've all seen how much Lucasarts related developers care about PC. The prospect of Grim Fandango in HD truly excited me...that is until I read it was PS4 only for now.

8. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    That's why you make it single player only.

(However, that would also shatter its already questionable profit prospects.)

Side note: no one talks on the PSN.

9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    make it mp. just don't play it if you don't want to.

10. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    AND I LOVE IT! No annoying kids. It's great!

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    X-Wing and TIE Fighter maybe?

12. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Me too. Unfortunately, I think Sony is including headsets with PS4s, which is one instance of consumer-mindedness I for one do not approve of. :p

13. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Eh, people still don't use them. I think I've met two people that use them, and that's it. XD

14. SteveMcgrath

SteveMcgrath Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2014
    X-Wing Alliance or any of the X-Wing or TIE Fighter games, really. There was nothing after X-Wing Alliance and it was really good series.

15. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    KOTOR 1&2 and Republic Commando.

16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    It's not, though.

17. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Only as of recent. Tim Schafer made a statement AFTER the PS4 announcement. So yes, while us PC gamers will get a version, it is strange it wasn't announced first.

18. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    He tweeted"other platforms announced soon" on the announce date. PC was a given.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The AT-ST came through the main door/shield door that is sealed behind it (you encounter it after you've restored power the docking bay doors). It's likely trying to prevent rebels from escaping.

As for the cargo droid, it's not as clear- one could chalk it up to it being on an Imperial freighter and may have been given a command by an Imperial onboard to attack any intruders as a last resort.

Either way, it's clear that it isn't just any random cargo droid given what it's guarding.

I don't think you'd have to do a total redesign of SOTE though- much like with GoldenEye, if you remove the non-linear level design and try to inject a modern linear design like COD that just handholds you along a scripted event corridor (which is not to say you don't have to sacrifice the sense of forward progression), you can lose the sense of exploration and immersion of a more realistically designed environment.

A better way to upgrade it would be to use modern tech to better populate the levels (in the case of Echo base, throw in more rebels running about that missed their transport or something, put some more elements of interest into some of the more generic rooms and corners that better reward exploration, etc, or take a level like Mos Eisley which was sorely lacking traffic and civilians), refine the 3rd person controls so that the platforming elements are more natural and obviously uprez the graphics, models, cut scenes, etc (though hopefully without sacrificing the moody fog- even though it's the result of a technical limitation, the uneasy atmospheric feeling it provided is something not easily replicated with modern graphics).

20. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Why does the Suprosa allow you to dock with it in the first place? I can't remember if that's addressed in the narrative. You make some good points and I agree with most of it, but I find it illogical that the imperials would go to such lengths as even assigning the loader droid to impale any intruders, considering that the plans Dash steals are the DS2 plans (IIRC) who the emperor wants the rebels to find. Presumably, he doesn't want it to be impossible to get out of there alive, which, evidently it isn't, but its bloody close. ;)

I wholeheartedly agree about the fog.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's been awhile, but IIRC, one of the X/TIE games has a SOTE tie-in level with you disabling the Suprosa, allowing Dash to dock. Rogue Squadron or Luke was involved (we see their X-Wings in the cinematic, IIRC).

Your point about the droid is perfectly valid, but SW rarely needs an excuse to explain an action sequence where a hero fights off any kind of droid.

For all we know, it was just the loader droid's personality and the loader droid just happens to be a ****.

Or he was built from the scraps of hugging Elmo dolls and just doesn't know any better. ;)

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Jedi Knight 1 definitely needs a remake. Those graphics are such an eyesore.

23. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Dark Forces needs a better control mapping system and a manual save feature. That's all I ask.

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I've never played it but i think it would be cool to play a HD remake of Star Wars Jedi Knight II : Jedi Outcast, heard good things about that game.

Life likes this.
  25. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    I want to see a console version of Empire At War.