main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Han Solo #1-5 (5/5 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Also HAN is getting the spinoff film, not Leia. And the two most rumored candidates for the third one (in 2020) are Obi Wan or Boba Fett (two men). And the majority of the main cast of TFA was still male, and right now it looks like Felicity Jones is the only female member of the main RO cast, etc. Most of the current comics are centered around/about male characters, etc.

So yeah, not a particularly convincing argument right now imo. Disney is simply making efforts to START to correct the pretty noticeable gender imbalance that's been present in this franchise (especially on-film) practically since Day One.

2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I thought it bizarre how JJ kept saying that Rey was needed for females to have a hero to identify with in these SW films, and completely ignored the character thread left with Leia in ROTJ about how she too could become a Jedi. And the characters in the film all act like Luke is the last hope for the Jedi, spending a good chunk of their time searching for him, when Luke outright said in ROTJ that if anything ever happened to him, Leia is to be the torchbearer of the Jedi way. Why would JJ act like Rey is some new thing in female SW protagonists, when he completely ignores any chance to grow Leia's character??

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It is strange and it is messed up but I wouldn't see feminism as having anything to do with it. As one of my bosses put it a few years back:

9 times out of 10, it's a cock-up rather than conspiracy.

Magog likes this.
  4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Because:

1. They weren't going to center the film around characters/actors who were in their 60's and 70's, that makes little sense from their perspective. Give them important supporting roles certainly, but as support nonetheless. If these films were made say, back in the mid 1990's, then quite possibly. But not now.

2. Nothing did happen to Luke for many years after ROTJ (the temple massacre and his leaving seems to have been a relatively recent event). He was doing exactly what Yoda ask him to, passing on what he had learned. So no need for Leia to get directly involved, she had other things to worry about (helping to found and lead the NR, defeat whatever was left of the Empire, and eventually raise a family of her own to boot). Then Snoke came along and messed it all up.

3. Rey IS something new in the context of the films. She's the MAIN heroine (which is new in and of itself) who's FS is a main/key part of her character. Leia is awesome, but she wasn't the main hero of the OT and her FS was a retcon that ended up playing VERY little role in her character or story.

And quite honestly, I've never been keen on "Jedi Leia" anyway. Not every FS person needs to undergo Jedi training. And unlike Luke, who's entire character after his aunt and uncle's deaths was about being a Jedi/The Force, Leia always had much more on her plate (being a politician, diplomat, military leader, and eventually a wife and mother to boot). So the idea that "she just never had the time or inclination to pursue Jedi training" is a completely plausible idea to me. And she's cool enough without it, I don't need or want every major character to be defined by the FS, or need to be a Jedi.

5. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    The only thing surprising about a Han Solo comic set between 4 and 5 is that it didn't happen sooner. But I can't be too cynical because the creative team on this is astonishing. Mark Brooks has been killing it on the covers and Marjorie Liu is writing Monstress, one of my favorite comics right now.

In all honesty, I'm actually enjoying how Marvel is moving around the timeline. I like how they are focusing on one era but allowing an ongoing and an occasional mini to be a little more adventurous.

6. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    No one was asking to center the role on Leia. But it would be nice to show prominent female Jedi exist already, the way Mace Windu, although as a supporting character and not the center of the prequels, showed that there were multiple human races in the Jedi Order.

La Calavera and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I would also be very okay if this miniseries was mostly Han & Chewie in an AT-AT running over various Imperial officers

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    SilentGuy66 -- I totally agree with you in being annoyed at how sci-fi stories (especially Star Wars) try to make female characters important by making them 100% infallibly perfect. I can't stand characters like that. But that's not what feminism is about - it's the exact opposite, because it's undermining female characters by making them unrelatable to the readers.

TFA could have used more of it with Rey. One of my favorite moments was when she saw those 60 portions and almost sold BB. It was a moment anyone could relate to, because we all know what greed is and we've all gotten greedy about our paychecks. That's how you make a good character -- give them real human weaknesses we can sympathize with. Then when they overcome their fault, they're that much more of a hero.

(sorry, pet peev of mine -- there's like this idea out there that feminism = make the woman 100% awesome = make the woman 100% perfect, without realizing that to make a character awesome, be it man/woman/Wookiee/whatever, the character SHOULDN'T be perfect because they're not realistic)

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Man, guys, I'm so upset that they're making a comic miniseries about a recently deceased main character. I mean, who would want to read a comic about a young Han Solo having fun adventures? That's not what Star Wars is about. I demand only comics about the Modal Nodes from now on.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I could actually enjoy a comic about the Modal Nodes, depending on how they did it.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You are reading Stumptown, aren't you?

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I would love a Modal Nodes comic, but let's be realistic. They're doing the OT main characters miniseries thing. They led off with Leia, Lando, and Chewie, which is far better than we had any right to expect. If they've finally gotten around to Han, there's really no room to complain, is there? Were they just supposed to skip Han and Luke entirely, the two biggest characters in the franchise, because they're white men who are in a lot of stories overall?

I mean, it's not as revolutionary a story concept as my proposal to Marvel -- five issues of watching the vaporized particles of Han's body drift across interstellar space -- but give it a shot.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You need the right artist - talk Geof Darrow into doing it, it'd look epic.

14. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Sounds cool. Not particularly excited about this though.

15. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I lost my first tooth when I was six but I don't go around telling everyone that all the time.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  16. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Considering that Han will never again be able to contradict his past in the ST (Not that he did in TFA) I guess writers feel like they can give Han dozens of adventures to enrich his now ended life :)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I keep hoping Han and Chewie: Rathtar Wranglin' is going to be a comic someday. Even a one-shot!

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I would like to see this as well.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Nah, I want Luceno to write it as a short story. It's just the sort of shenanigan Daley included in his trilogy (TFA Cross-Sections already gave a nod in that direction) and in his absence, his close friend and coauthor penning it seems like a fitting tribute.

LelalMekha and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Get Luceno, and they'll be picking the Rathtars up from Sojourn.

21. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    The Rathar thing would probably be more horror as Han pretty much says he lost his entire crew to them trying to catch them.......oh the laughs in that story!:p

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The Rathtar story I think could be a dark comedy where most of everyone ends up being eaten as a punchline, if only because the whole misadventure is written off as Han going "We used to have a bigger crew" and Chewie shrugs/nods as a gag. And Han's somewhat nonchalant about the whole thing "There's one!"

I would be very happy if this mini has some sort of reference to it, like a gig they might take in the future, etc.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    So I assume this is set Pre-Endor? This simply decides how attention I have to pay it with my limited budget...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Droma or we I riot.

25. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    Unlettered preview pages are out!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]