main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Han Solo #1-5 (5/5 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Paging AdmiralNick22, there are shots of what I assume is the Rebel fleet in the preview, uncluttered by any pesky word balloons to boot.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Whoa, Han wearing a brown coat. What, is he gonna team up with Captain Reynolds? :p

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yesss Leia yelling at Han. Always my favorite.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

cwustudent and unicorn like this.
  4. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    It's not true Star Wars unless Han has some snappy comeback to Leia, something the main series doesn't seem to do so well as it always seems Leia wins the arguments while in the films no one won.

Love the art though :)

5. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I think that as a rule, the moment a character is taken out of the narrative on a permanent or near-permanent basis, whether it's Han in Episode VII or Ahsoka in Rebels, LFL feels free to begin filling in the blanks in that character. The general assumption is that LFL usually wants to leave a character's backstory unfilled in case future major projects want to do anything with the character that relates to it; kill or remove that character, and the gloves come off. That's why we're now seeing an Ahsoka backstory novel, and a Han Solo backstory film.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  6. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Is this in the same timeframe as the SW series?

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    More than likely. Exactly how it'll all fit together may become clear later.

8. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    THIS LOOKS AMAZING! :D

9. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Preview for #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Love the coloring in this one. Oh, and the Caamasi are canon again!

10. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    That's some great art and coloring here. :D

spicer likes this.
  11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    ...ok, I don't care for the main Star Wars series (regular and Vader), but many of these miniseries from Marvel are looking really nice (Lando, Obi-wan and Anakin), at this rate I'll probably try to pick this series up (not like Han does anything of importance in the main series, I'd rather he be off-screen at the rate he's going, though at least instead Leia is getting a lot of screen time, which is good).

Here's hoping. This comes out next week, right?

12. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Nobody145 I feel the same way about Han's portrayal in the main series. If he's not being bailed out a tight spot by Leia he's being used as comic relief like herding nerfs with Luke.

Looks like this series might finally make him bad ass again and if not then Disney has clearly ruined his character

Barriss_Coffee and vncredleader like this.
  13. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Jedi Jessy and Jedi Ben like this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    With a preview out I'd expect it to be confirmed Sunday by Diamond, it's probably already on Midtown's list for next week too.

15. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

I actually like the suggestion that he might not be hanging out with the Rebels the whole 3 years. Taking off, doing his own thing, and then getting caught up with them again right before Hoth would be an interesting approach.

cwustudent, BigAl6ft6 and Kylun like this.
  16. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    At this point, between this and Bloodline, I'd be VERY surprised if ship racing didn't play a substantial part in Han Solo stand-alone.
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6, Barriss_Coffee and Kylun like this.
  17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I guess I'm letting my interpretation of the movies cloud my judgment. Han, the man that only cares about himself, leaves with his reward in ANH to only come back at the last second and save his friends (and the entire Rebellion for that matter). Then he mentions in ESB that he has to leave the Rebellion to pay Jabba and that the bounty hunter they ran into in Ord Mantell changed his mind. So in my mind, based solely on the canon movies, Han continued to hide out and help the Rebels not only because of his change of heart, but also it was a good way to keep moving and stay hidden from his enemies, those hired by Jabba to hunt him down AND his new enemies, the Empire.

It's the same reason why I wasn't a fan of the Leia series. It seemed out of character for her to take off and help random Alderaanians. It made sense why she did it, and it probably would have made more sense if she did it in a planned fashion and not a brash one, during the three year gap between ANH and ESB. Blowing up the Death Star is a huge win, but I think priority #1 would be to get the heck off of Yavin IV and find a new base pronto. Once the Rebellion is safe, then go on your Alderaanian mission. I digress.

Again, just my opinion, and like I said, I do look forward to how this comic stays true to the character of Han, I'm just weary.

Jedi Jessy and SilentGuy66 like this.
  18. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I think the unlettered preview pages will factor into that... he & Leia seem to have a fight, and then Han takes off. Could be he was just sick of sticking his neck out and getting told off by her because he didn't follow protocol or whatever... so he leaves in a huff, excited to be out on his own again... fast-forward to him in the bar there thinking about the jobs he's been walking away from over the undetermined time he's been apart from the Alliance. Now they're roping him back in, and I think at the end of this he & Leia will have come to terms and he'll stick with the Rebellion again until Hoth.

I'm not so certain that's a Caamasi back there; could be, but I'm not sure. I did notice the Mynock (or, y'know, a Helot-class ship... that giant turbine-looking thing on its back is a dead giveaway) amidst the Rebel fleet in the preview pages tho! :p

Jedi Jessy and TiniTinyTony like this.
  19. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    Holy crap! The big three finally look like the actual big 3 this time around! I find Stars Wars, and especially Leia made all three of the characters look nothing like thier screen portrayals. I'm hyped now.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  20. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Love the coloring. I think we have a Killik in that first panel.

Barriss_Coffee and spicer like this.
  21. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I personally think that there is a gap of 2-3 months between ANH and SW#1 and in that gap all the mini series take place (excluding Anakin and Obi :p )

I think the main series hinted near the start that Han only sticks around during this period when the rebellion has something to give him for his troubles, yet it's never enough to make him fully independent from them.

22. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    We sure do :cool:

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I like the suggestion that the Chewie mini takes place during Rebel Jail when he's absent. I also think shifting Lando at least a few months closer to ESB would feel a bit better so not everyone's "origin story" is happening at the same time.

24. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Holy ***t you might be right. I dont know why but those guys being made canon is strangely exiting to me.

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Killiks, Caamasi, Trandoshans, oh my!