main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Star Wars heading to the Oscars

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by jedikevn, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedikevn

jedikevn Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2002
    Hey guys,

It was just announced that Star Wars Episode II will be up for an Oscar for best Visual Effects. Star Wars will be up against Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and Spider-Man. Which of the three do you think will take it??

2. LebaDraddog

LebaDraddog Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2002
    against those, I think SW has it.

3. CrimsonVision

CrimsonVision Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    I think SW will take it as well.

I have to say Im quite surprised and dissapointed that neither SW or LOTR were nominated for costume design.

*shrugs*

BTW, if you are interested the full list of nominees can be found here.

4. jedikevn

jedikevn Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2002
    I tend to agree with both of you. I'm just happy that Star Wars isn't up against the MATRIX again. :)

5. Chris-M

Chris-M Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2002

Tough call. Both have incredible visual effects, often (usually) seemlessly integrated. Neither is particularly ground-breaking -- we've seen all of this done before, although not necessarily as well or to the same extent (yeah, Gollum is cool, but it's essentially the same technology EA uses to make the Tiger Woods video games). I think both are equally deserving to be honest.

I also agree that both should have been nominated for costume design, and why wasn't SW nominated for sound?

--Chris M.

6. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    TTT will win. It's arguably the only competition AOTC really has, but that's not why. The Academy will not give Lucas an award like that. He snubs his nose at them at every opportunity, and they snub him back in the only way they can. It happened three years ago with the Matrix and it'll happen again.

Yes, ILM does get technical awards occasionally, but with Lucas being so directly involved with this one, they probably shouldn't even waste their time showing up to the ceremony.

Simply the fact that AOTC wasn't nominated for sound shows how unbelievably biased and crooked the Academy is.

7. CrimsonVision

CrimsonVision Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    *nods*

Yep, you are right Brandon; didnt think about all that.

I hate politics. :p

8. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Yep, agreed...despite HORRIBLY BAD bluescreen during several scenes in TTT, since it won't win for Best Picture it will be awarded the "consolation prize" of SFX.

Episode II, imo one of the most visually stunning and lavishly colorful movies so far created, will be snubbed, as sequels are in general (note the director snubbing of Peter Jackson and lack of cinematography nods for TTT, though imo it's as deserving as FOTR was!).

LOL, look at the article on starwars.com for their muted response, reminding everyone of the individuals whose work was nominated and that John Williams has another nomination for CMIYC...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.