main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Heir to the Jedi by Kevin Hearne

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Apr 25, 2014.

1. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    That has spin-off comic written all over it. Little lines like that make me wonder how much this novel had to be re-written after the canon purge. This will have to fit pretty snugly into the self-titled Star Wars comic and I imagine it will set up some of the events that happen there.

2. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    As a reader, I cannot stand books from first person perspective. It continually drags me out of the story... I guess I just prefer 3rd out of habit.

DelRiego likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I like some first-person books. Ciaphas Cain series is one of my favourite for 40K, and I, Jedi is IMO one of the better EU novels.

Darth_Garak likes this.
  4. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I read the sampler....
    I felt that Luke's innocence was portrayed well, but I didn't completely feel like I was in his head. I know he and Nakari will end up together at some point and that's just odd for me to think of.

Also: "He has some kind of gravitas about him— a moist charisma, I guess" - moist? Ackbar? No way!
    That was a horrible description and I just can't imagine Luke saying the word 'gravitas.'

I will most likely not get this, even though it was originally supposed to be original canon timeline.

5. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Moist charisma .... that sounds bad. And possibly creepy.

6. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
  7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I love this. Like x1000!

Ackbar definitely has a certain gravitas, but using the word "moist" is either a bad attempt at humor about Ackbar looking like a fish or it is a very strange choice for a descriptive word.

--Adm. Nick

Trebor Sabreon and Iron_lord like this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Or Luke is just a huge jerk. But it's ok, your kind have a pretty slippery handshake. I mean, have you ever seen Ackbar on the campaign trail? Awkward.

I'm more bothered by the conflation of gravitas and charisma, which have little to do with one another. Using words willy-nilly is bad.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    SWpants What planet is Luke on on the cover?

10. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004

I can't tell. Some desert or rocky planet. There are TIEs behind him and he looks confused with life.

11. zegota

zegota Jedi Master star 1

May 19, 2005
    Wow, people seem overly harsh in criticizing the narrative format of the book. I get that different people enjoy different POVs, and Luke's internal monologue as written here may not match what you imagined it to be, but jeez. Let's wait and see how the story and characters turn out before condemning it.

JediFan215, Starkeiller and Weston like this.
  12. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    This is the next Star Wars book I'm buying after A New Dawn- really looking forward to it

13. KnightOfGrey

KnightOfGrey Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2014
    That title.

That story.

That hair!

Seriously though. I'll read it. Has GL said that they are going to have a new after movie EU set up?

14. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    What GL says means nothing at this point, because he doesn't own it anymore, but obviously they're going to fill in the gap between VI and VII at some point. Don't expect anything post-ROTJ until VII has come out though.

15. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    I'm looking forward to this book most after A New Dawn.

16. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Isn't the rocks-and-TIEs scene just repurposed ESB asteroid footage? Would make more sense if there's indeed a rocky planet (area) in the book, but basically a cover could just use visual stuff for visual effect (like Mindor repurposing the Rogue Leader painting even though Luke wouldn't run around in a pilot suit during the events of the book).
    If I had to guess I'd say it's a mix between Ackbar being a fish and Luke coming from a desert planet, where "moist charisma" would be something pretty rare.

17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I hope Luke knows that Palpatine is Sidious. I would expect Palpatine being Sidious to be high up on Obi-Wan's list of things to tell Luke.

18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Wait, I thought the book said he was in his flight suit during the events on Mindor. :confused:

19. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    From what I've read on the rumour mill, this contains a lot of easter eggs relating to EpVII

20. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    The rumor mill is a load of bollocks though.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001

It won't.

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Does Luke count as an Easter Egg? If so yes the book will be filled with them.

Random Comments likes this.
  23. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Would it really matter though? Sidious is effectively a non-entity after ROTS, where Palpatine's no longer using him as a cover for his actions, and can instead do whatever he wants because the Jedi are gone.

24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'd have gone for "fishy allure", personally.

Oh well.

Ordo Skirata and Dawud786 like this.
  25. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    This. I don't see why Luke would need to know the name Sidious, just that the Emperor is a Sith and Vader's master.

Emperor Palpatine is basically the Chancellor Palpatine and Darth Sidious personas merged into one.

Revanfan1 likes this.