main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Heir to the Jedi by Kevin Hearne

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Apr 25, 2014.

1. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    I should not have to leave it behind in discussion. Until it is contradicted we can rely on the EU to provide character attributes, etc. These attributes are seen in film as well,and the EU does not contradict it. Yes specific timeline events we must throw out, but not all of it.

2. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013

I have no realistic choice but to accept that the official canon has thrown out all the decades of history in the EU.
    I can still bring the EU up in a discussion if I want though. The EU will always be as important to me as the new books and movies may be become and I'll talk about them for the rest of my life, even if it's in the context of an alternate universe.
    I do generally think that EU stories that don't contradict anything "official" can still count as soft canon, even if it officially there is no "soft canon" any more. Something that's outside of official canon may still be relevant to to the topic at hand.

JediMatteus and Dante1120 like this.
  3. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    This is still the Literature board, not the 'Story Group Approved' Board, nor the 'Legends' board. It encompasses all of the EU. People tend to forget that sometimes.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be eagerly awaiting Heir to the Jedi and 'The Force Awakens' while re-reading Kenobi (which will always be canon for me) for the billionth time.

PCCViking, Taalcon, spicer and 7 others like this.
  4. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    While discussing Heir to the Jedi, I am only taking into consideration the approved canon, so that's that.

TheBBP and newdawn12 like this.
  5. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000

Excuse me for a second, baring in mind I'm not disagreeing with what you said;

WORDS HAVE MEANINGS AND YOU ARE MISUSING THE WORD CANON AND NOAH WEBSTER IS CRYING. :_|:p

Good for you, don't expect everyone else to follow your lead.

6. JediFan215

Jul 31, 2014
    Fine. Be immature. That's nice. I'll keep the high ground. It's the intellectually honest thing to do.
    Also, Nathan and Mark at Beyond the Films were the ones that gave me this lead, so I'm just following them.

TheBBP likes this.
  7. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Since when is it the high ground to just say that everyone else is wrong? Seems pretty immature to me.

I'll have a full HttJ review ready when the book actually comes out, but those Luke fans from the old school will be very happy with his portrayal here. No spoilers, but it's very true to Luke no matter what books or stories you take into account.

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Not on the Internet ;)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    so when does Heir come out? is it July or Sept......?

10. JediFan215

Jul 31, 2014
    In the case of honest discussion of the canon Star Wars universe you are all wrong when you bring up Legends, because it counts for NOTHING in those discussions.

11. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

I've had the pleasure of reading a review copy too, it's a lot of fun and Luke fans will be very happy.

JediMatteus likes this.
  12. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

Of course it does. Rebels, every episode, has references to and brings back things that were from the EU - especially from West End Games sourcebooks. Creators who were involved in writing material in the EU are naturally going to be influenced by what happened before. Readers are going to be naturally comparing 'versions' of the characters.

Believe it or not, it's possible to enjoy the Legends Star Wars universe, as well as the nascent Story Group Canon Star Wars Universe. I certainly do. Fans that have a point of reference in the EU will find it helpful at times for comparisons to be made to explain tone/concept/etc.

It's the exact same as you saying, "In the case of honest discussion of the Marvel Cincematic Universe you are all wrong when you bring up the comic books, because it counts for NOTHING in those discussions."

That's silly. No, the content of Legends novels/comics/games are not binding on the new story. Yes, they are still enjoyable, sources of inspiration for new works going forward, and points of contrast and departure for discussion.

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    JediFan215: There are Legends characters, places, etc popping up all over the new EU. I'm not among the lucky few who've read Heir yet, but case in point for this one -- an obscure EU RPG character, Moff Balfour (who has a minor fan following among old Lit acolytes) is at least mentioned in the preview of the book. Can't we speak of him in the context of both his Legends self and his new canon self? Sure we can't be 100% positive what he did in Legendsverse is completely "legit", but at this point with Lucas himself claiming Ep7 isn't "his vision", then does it matter who's canon we're following? The Story Group is largely made up of the same people who ran the old EU. Going off the Balfour example, are they really going to bother to go out of their way to either confirm or deny some of the obscure things he did in his backstory? They probably never will. Let us believe he was a squirmy work-skirting coward who ate skittles at conference meetings. Disney canon doesn't care.

14. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

Heir is out on March 3rd.

mes520 and cubman987 like this.
  15. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    this march??

16. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    This March!

cthugha likes this.
  17. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    sweet. cant wait

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, the hardback does!

As to this recent discussion over Legends, I see 2 separate points getting confused and conflated:

The need for a common frame of reference when talking about a work: This is needed to keep the discussion engaged with others. If everyone just decides only their view of SW is to be referred to you're no longer talking with others, you're talking at and past them. Evaluating HttJ in this sense is going to be difficult because the only character portrait comparison available will be to Aaron's SW, as that also features Luke. It will get compared to both Tarkin and AND, but it's also quite a different type of story.

The need for a free-flowing discussion: People should not feel they cannot mention points because they use the old continuity, as at this point, there's so little of the new and using the old will likely be the only way to illustrate a point outside of film reference. Saying that the story mentioned is no longer canon and doesn't count will only come off as an attempt by stealth to ignore the point the example was brought up to make and so kill the flow of discussion.

For a healthy and ongoing and even developing discussion that is productive, that enables the participants to walk away feeling that they have gained something good from it - both are needed.

19. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    right but whenever i have brought this up i get brow beat

20. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    I know, LTTP, but...

Hmph. Yeah, was gonna say, we're already back to the revolving door of fridged girlfriends? Mmmkay then. Much original. So class. :rolleyes:

21. JediFan215

Jul 31, 2014
    I'll give you that. But until something shows up in new canon, for me, it is exempt from discussion of canon

TheBBP likes this.
  22. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

You feel free to post according to your rules of discourse, and everyone else will go on ahead going by theirs. Nobody will force you to reply to a comment comparing Luke's characterization in Heir to the Jedi to that in Heir to the Empire. However, if it really offends your sensibilities that much, and you can't withhold yourself from telling people how unacceptable you personally find their behavior, maybe you can make a 'Canon Discussion Only - Legends References Not Allowed!' thread. Might make everybody happier.

23. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    Do we really need to have segregated threads for canon and non canon opinions though? I'd think we should be able to just scroll past any commentary we're not interested in.
    This whole canon/non canon debate is pretty much here to stay I'm afraid. Some of us are never going to let go of the the classic EU and some people are going to be intolerant of even a reminder that Star Wars stories were told before the regime of the Story Group canon.

24. JediFan215

Jul 31, 2014
    I'm not "intolerant" of legends discussion within the boundaries of that parallel universe. The problem is, within canon we don't KNOW exactly what happened on Ord Mantell. It could be that nothing that happened there in legends happened in canon. One or more of those could be true. But until we KNOW, I think we should limit discussion of the CANON material to what we KNOW for sure. It would be nice, anyway, but it's obviously not going to happen. I'm done with this discussion, those of you speaking against me have won. Into exile, I shall go

TheBBP likes this.
  25. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i saw the art they did for the except in the lastest Star Wars Insider and some of it looks amazing. i was able to take photos but i'm not able to upload on to here. anyone know how to post pics?