Star Wars Hog fans.

Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by CodyMonKenobi, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CodyMonKenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    Not sure if this is appropriate for this forum, so if it isn't just lock it.

I am really impressed with the Basketball Hogs, I believe we will win a few more than 20 games this season.

I am also excited about the LSU game this week in the Rock. (BTW IF anyone has tickets they don't need I will take them off your hands for you.) I believe We will win and stay undefeated in WMS and I hope that we play Nebraska in Shreveport.

Any thoughts or comments?
  2. sithsarbad Jedi Master

star 4
    Tigers are going down!!
  3. CodyMonKenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree

My Prediction

Arkansas- 28

LSWho- 17
  4. otisdodge Jedi Master

star 4
    When is the game?

Are we any good at hoops this year? I am not much of a sports fan, but the Hogs are the only college b-ball team I have ever called myself a fan of.
  5. CmdrCody Jedi Padawan

LSU @ Arkansas Friday November 26 1:30.

Yes, our basketball is on its way to becoming one of the dominate schools in Basketball once again. We just played in, and won the Paridise Jam tournement in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Our lowest scoring game in the tournament was 73, and our opponents highest score was 64.

We played Winthrop, Troy, and E.Michigan respectivly, All of which are no stranger to post season play. And E. Michigan (Stan Heath's alma mater) has a very good chance of winning their confrence, in a very good MAC. I would be willing to bet a year's salary that our beloved Razorbacks will win at least 20 games this season, and make a little noise in the Tourney.

I will try my best to keep everyone who is intrested up on how we are doing.

Predicted record for the basketball Hogs 21-8
  6. otisdodge Jedi Master

star 4
    Is Commander Cody the same as CodyMonKenobi?
  7. CodyMonKenobi Force Ghost

star 4
  8. otisdodge Jedi Master

star 4
    sock?

BTW, I hope you didn't make any real bets on those predictions of yours.

That was a SLAUGHTER!
  9. CodyMonKenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    Nope I didn't, and your right that game was very disappointing.

THE GAME: Arkansas opens home season Saturday against the Runnin? Bulldogs of Gardner Webb. Game time is 2:05 p.m.

ON THE AIR: The Gardner-Webb game is on ARSN radio with Mike Nail, in his 24th year, handling the play-by-play and Joe Kleine, former Arkansas and NBA player in his fifth season, working as the analyst.

A LITTLE ABOUT G-W: Gardner-Webb, located in Boiling Springs, N.C., is a member of the Atlantic Sun Conference. The Bulldogs were 9-20 last year, but three starters are among the six returning lettermen. Rick Scruggs is 120-119 in his 10th year at the school. Overall in his 20th year, he is 320-233. The top returnee is 6-6 junior forward Brian Bender (12.7 ppg, 7.0 rpg).

Gardner-Webb is 2-0 this year with wins over East Carolina, 90-60, and North Greenville, 85-61. Bender leads the team with 18.5 points a game and adds 6.5 rebounds. Junior guard Tim Jennings scores 14.0 a game and 6-7 junior forward Mike Jones adds 13.0 points and a team-best 8.0 rebounds.

KEEPING UP WITH THE JONES?: The Gardner-Webb game offers a unique possibility as far as defensive assignments go. Arkansas senior Mike Jones, a 6-9 forward, could end up guarding GWU?s Mike Jones, a 6-7 forward.

A-SUN AGAIN: The Gardner-Webb contest is the second in three games for Arkansas against a member of the Atlantic Sun Conference. UA played Troy in the second game of the Paradise Jam last week.

HOME-OPENER NOT SEASON-OPENER: This year?s home-opener is not UA?s season-opener, marking the first time since 1995 that has been the case. In ?95, No. 1 Arkansas lost to No. 3 Massachusetts in the Tipoff Classic at Springfield, Mass.

SEASON-OPENER, HOME OPENER RECORDS: With the 72-49 win over Winthrop in the first game of the year, the Razorbacks improved to 64-18 all-time in season-openers. Arkansas is 71-10 all-time in home-openers. In road openers, which for Arkansas is the Dec. 7 game at Missouri, UA is 37-44. Arkansas has won 10 straight season-openers, 31 consecutive home openers and last year?s road opener. The last loss in a home opener was a 102-100 setback to Western Kentucky in 1974.

PARADISE SLAM: Arkansas won the Paradise Jam tournament over the weekend in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. Here?s a recap of all three games:

Against Winthrop, Arkansas shot 53.3 percent from the floor (24-45), including 11-of-17 on threes for the school?s second-best single-game three-point percentage (.647), and rolled to a 72-49 victory on Nov. 19. UA held the Eagles to 27.8 percent shooting, including 24.1 percent (7-29) in the second half when the Hogs outscored Winthrop 39-19. Olu Famutimi had game highs of 17 points and seven rebounds, and Eric Ferguson had 16 points and four assists.

Against Troy on Nov. 21, UA wasn?t has hot from the field, but the Razorbacks were still tough on defense. Arkansas held the Trojans to 29.4 percent shooting (20-68), including 22.2 percent in the second half (6-27) when Arkansas had a 44-16 scoring advantage. UA had a 48-38 rebounding edge and forced 20 turnovers. Ronnie Brewer had a game-high 18 points, and game-high matching totals of seven rebounds and four asists. Jonathon Modica had 14 points and a career-high five steals, and Dontell Jefferson had 12 points on four-of-six shooting. Olu Famutimi added 11 points and five boards, and Eric Ferguson had 11 points, six rebounds, four assists and two steals.

Against Eastern Michigan in the title game, UA used a huge first half to cruise to the title, 82-64. EMU recorded the best shooting game against the Hogs to date this year, but it was still only 34 percent (17-50). Arkansas countered by hitting 54.5 percent for the game (30-55), including a blistering 66.7 percent in the first half when the Hogs built a 53-36 advantage at the break. UA also managed a 33-28 rebounding edge and forced 17 turnovers. UA was called for 24 fouls with its pressure defense, so free throws kept the Eagles in the game. EMU made 27-of-36 for the game,
  10. CodyMonKenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    UA Sports Information- Saturday, November 27, 2004 ---
    FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. ? Arkansas overcame a sluggish first half with a red-hot second half to pull away from Gardner-Webb for a 79-63 victory in its home opener on Saturday.

The Razorbacks, 4-0, shot just 34.3 percent in the first half and led by just three, 27-24, at the break.

The Runnin? Bulldogs also got hot in the second period, hitting 62.5 percent of their shots, but that was just lukewarm compared to the Razorbacks. Arkansas made 70.8 percent of its shots, 17-of-24, and outscored GWU 52-39 in the period to get the win.

?All wins are good wins,? head coach Stan Heath said. ?We are not picky. It wasn?t pretty in the first, but our energy picked up in the second.?

The more aggressive play not only improved UA?s shooting, it allowed the Hogs to get to the free throw line 24 times, where they made 15, after going two-of-three in the first half. Arkansas also had a 14-8 rebounding advantage in the second half after trailing 22-21 at the break.

Eric Ferguson was the spark. After going one-of-three for three points in the first half, he made all five of his shots in the second half and finished with a team-high 16 points. Darian Townes was also perfect, going three-of-three and four-of-eight for the game for 10 points.

Leading just 34-33 with 16:07 to play, Ronnie Brewer made a free throw, Ferguson a layup, and Charles Thomas scored on a putback and hit a three for a 41-33 advantage with 13:29 to go.

Gardner-Webb (2-1) got within 52-47, but Olu Famutimi drained a three, Ferguson and Townes hit free throws, and Brewer and Ferguson made layups for a 61-47 lead with 6:17 to go.

Ferguson scored five straight on a jumper and a three to push the margin to 66-50, but the Bulldogs got two threes from Tim Jennings around another three by Chris Gash to make it 70-59 with 2:24 left.

After a timeout, Thomas blocked a shot by Gash and Townes scored on a layup. Jonathon Modica made two free throws and Townes hit a three in the right corner with 52 seconds left to give the Hogs a 77-61 lead.

In the first half, Arkansas made just 12-of-35 shots while GWU was slightly better at 10-of-29 (.345). UA also made only one-of-six threes in the first half while the Bulldogs were three-of-12. Gardner-Webb was six-of-nine in the second period with UA three-of-four.

Ferguson added four rebounds, two assists and four steals to go with his 16 points. Townes had five rebounds to go with his 10 points. Brewer had 12 points, Famutimi nine, Thomas and Dontell Jefferson eight, and Rashard Sullivan six to go with seven rebounds.

Brian Bender scored a game-high 17 points for GWU. Jennings had 12 and Gash 11.

Arkansas plays host to Tulsa on Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. in a game televised by Fox Sports Net South, which is Fox Sports Southwest in Northwest Arkansas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.