Classics Star Wars Holiday Special

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by DeltaVX, Jul 12, 2005.

1. DeltaVX Jedi Knight

star 1
    By chance, would the 1978 Star Wars holiday special able to be on DVD? If not, will it ever? I ask because I've only seen an eight second clip of it on the ATOC DVD extras, and I want to see the rest.
  2. Ellbobin Jedi Master

star 4
    Not Legal. But its out thEre if you want it BAd enough to look for it Yourself
  3. Blackout Force Ghost

star 4
    Although I certainly wouldn't pay for it, myself.
    Hell, no. [face_tired]

The HS is like smoking. It's bad. You tell kids it's bad but they're going to try it anyway. The only difference is that the HS won't kill you.

Well, maybe not straight away...

{||||| ?||} -----------------------------
  4. Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Lucas hated the Holiday special. He keeps the only copy of it locked up. And he's even said that if he had time and a hammer, then he would find and destroy every other copy he could find.

He's not going to release it.
  5. green-boy Jedi Master

star 4
    Holiday Special = Never. Ever. Going. To. Be. Released. On. DVD.

'Nuff said
  6. Feezior Jedi Knight

star 1
    yeah, you'll have to hunt down a torrent or sumthing
  7. Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Listen, please do not watch it, becuase it is horrendous.
  8. Blackout Force Ghost

star 4
    It's no good mate, they ain't listenin! :p

I think the only way to bury this monstrosity is for George to actually go ahead and release it. he'll get major flak, but then he can turn around and say "What? You know it's bad, what's the big deal? There's guns on sale but you don't feel the need to shoot yourelves!"
    And then everyone will know how bad it is, SW will be dropped by the media and it'll belong to the geeks once more [face_mischief]

I still think that the Death Star should have fired a test shot at Kashyyyk at the end of RotS. That way, George could 'canon' his way out of the HS ever having happened. Because at the moment, it's got "Star Wars" at the front, George's name on it and the original actors playing the original parts. There's no other way around it; it happened. :p

{||||| ?||} -----------------------------
  9. ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I still think that the Death Star should have fired a test shot at Kashyyyk at the end of RotS. That way, George could 'canon' his way out of the HS ever having happened. Because at the moment, it's got "Star Wars" at the front, George's name on it and the original actors playing the original parts. There's no other way around it; it happened. tongue

Would about Tim Zhans books then?
  10. skawookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    I am watching the Holiday Speical as I type this. Truth is, I've been watching it for days. I just can't stomach more than five minutes at a time. It's gonna take me forever. I can't believe this actually made its way to TV.
  11. Ellbobin Jedi Master

star 4
  12. Eddie Force Ghost

star 3
    I agree that the HS is a terrible thing to watch, but I would like an official release DVD, maybe with the Saga Boxset, just for us completists.
    If GL is so worried that it'll be considered cannon then they could just stick an Infinities label on the cover!
  13. skawookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually, it is considered canon. When Kube-McDowell was writing the Black Fleet Crisis, he was goign to completely change Chewie's family. He wanted to make wookiees a polygamist society. LFL wouldn't let him. He had to use Chewie's existing family from the HS.
  14. Eddie Force Ghost

star 3
    Okay then.
    I'd still like an official copy. It's not exactly hard to find these days, LFL should realise what fans want and release it. It could be an easter egg on the DVD Boxset similar to the 1138 code to the blooper reels. Maybe 3263827 or 327.
  15. Ellbobin Jedi Master

star 4
    Lucas will. He needs money for his building hobby.
  16. Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I predict that it might make some people go insane.
  17. Eddie Force Ghost

star 3
    Some would say we were already insane for wanting to buy it!
  18. dudalb Jedi Knight

star 3
    It will be cold day on Mustafar before Lucas releases this thing on DVD. He is genuinely embarassed by it,and has often said if he has his way he would smash every copy to bits. He has stated that OK'ing the thing and not exercising any creative control was one of the worse mistakes of his career.
    Lucas might make a minor profit from a DVD release, but not enough,in his eyes, to justify the embarassment it would bring.
    He seems content not to go after the illegal distrubution of it because doing so would only bring it more publicity. He apparetnly feels that the best way to have it available on a limited basis to satisfy people's morbid curiosity, and hope it eventually dies a natural death.
    I always kind of wanted the MST3K crew to get permission to do a job on it.
  19. Tomtrek Jedi Knight

star 1
    I bought it off a certain popular internet site, cheaply, too.

I just like showing it to people. It's fun to watch them squirm.
  20. clone_commando_1993 Jedi Master

star 4

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
  21. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    Only redeeming factor of the holiday special was the Bobafett cartoon - it's reasonable watchable, if now slightly 'incorrect' given what we find out about Boba in the movies.

You can often pick up a copy at a comic-con etc, or on ebay.

However, remember that these are all pirated material, and hence illegal, and also of extremely poor quality.

Stick with the OT on DVD and enjoy the experience.
  22. Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "Its more horrible than fun. Twisted and evil."
  23. Matt-trooper Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well I let curiosity get the better of me and found a site that would let me download the full thing and after waiting for an hour or so for the download to finish I went to watch and ......it didnt work.
    Coincedence,I think not.... :p
  24. bnxian Jedi Knight

star 1
    For those that have seen the holiday special-- did you guys notice that the singing number with the soprano girl (if I remember it correctly it was a gift of some sorts.. like a small TV and a trooper was looking into it) that the background and decoration was uncanny to that of the Coruscant Opera house? Or am I just imagining things? Bubbles will be bubbles
  25. DavBacca Force Ghost

star 2
    There was also the classic "Wookie Storybook" which has the whole family.

[image=http://img330.imageshack.us/img330/8910/wookiestorybok3pk.jpg]