main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Humble Bundle AudioBooks!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GuardianSoulBlade, Aug 27, 2015.

1. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    Hey Star Wars fans, for a limited time, Humble Bundle is letting you pay what you want for Star Wars audiobooks!

From IGN:
    The current bundle features a selection of Star Wars audiobooks for charity. The base set, which you can get for contributing any amount, nets you Star Wars: The Original Radio Drama and Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi. Paying $15 or more also gets you Return of the Jedi and the Dark Forces Collector's Trilogy.

They also said there are more books coming, so I'm hoping for more good ones! I have a road trip this weekend, I'm putting the Original Trilogy on my iPod!

2. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Since it's for charity, I paid $25. Can't wait to see what the other stuff is and kinda looking forward to my next road trip now! I've heard the OT Radio Dramas, but none of the Legends stuff.

Dark Empire will be first methinks! There's a sample on the Humble Bundle site, it sounds awesome.

3. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    How does the "more coming soon" part work? If I buy now will I get them too when they come?

4. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Yes, you'll automatically get access to them once they're revealed.

Personally, I'm hoping for Empire's End. I don't think that ever got a CD release. Or at least I was never able to find it.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So I've actually not taken the time to listen to these in full, despite quoting from the ANH one liberally over the years. It's a very nice blast from the past, and I'm glad that ANH in particular will be at least partially canon.

Most of the stuff is not new because it's made it all over Legends but listening to the source is nice. I missed out on a group listen of it once, that would've been fun.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  6. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Looks like these are all the dramatized versions with full casts, right? Other than the movies, I've found a couple of these pretty tough to listen to.

Oddly enough, the guy who did a lot of the more recent straight-up one-voice audiobook readings (Mark Thompson, I think?) made a few things enjoyable that wouldn't have been otherwise, like LotF. Sometimes, you want the abridged version...

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The OT ones are original radio plays rather than audiobooks, so yes they have a full cast and everything. ANH is written by Brian Daley and is so good.

Also Hamill plays Luke in ANH and ESB. Sooo, that's the price of entry right there.

I'm 45 minutes into it so far and it's all original stuff -- nothing from the movie or novel yet. It's good stuff.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I'm listening to the Dark Forces one on my commute. It's rather good, a little corny and the dialogue gets stilted from time to time, but the story is solid. I find myself wishing that both Kyle and Jan's actors were the voices I'm accustomed for them, though, especially Kyle, the emphases and tone of their dialogue just feels off at times. All of the sound effects and music are great though, and the guy playing Jerec is spot-on.

Also, I now understand some of how Jello's hostility against Mon Mothma comes from, she's incredibly hypocritical and suspicious in this series, especially to Kyle.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, she's a freedom fighter who takes dictatorial powers to fight against dictatorship sorry what? Basically she is the worst.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  10. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    She's all "We can't trust Kyle because he went to the Academy and he's already betrayed the Empire so he might betray us, too." Completely disregarding the fact that 1: there are a lot of former Imperial soldiers, some of whom say way more active duty than Kyle, serving in the Alliance (at least Leia calls her out on this double-standard at one point), and 2: Kyle basically saved the Alliance in-story by getting them the Death Star plans and more than proved his loyalty.

Basically, four years in the Imperial academy and 1 (one!) active combat mission irrevocably tainted Kyle in her eyes, so she stamps his record with a "suspicious person-do not trust!" label and it almost prevents him from getting life-saving medical treatment if not for Jan's intervention. And she never gets called out on it. Everyone's all like "She's a mother to the Alliance, she's awesome, she's our leader, blah blah blah." If the Imperial dignitaries in the story weren't worse, it's almost enough to convert someone to the other side. No wonder Kyle never formally signed up with the Alliance, he knows better.

Also, she's the one who says in this Soldier for the Empire that the Emperor hates women almost as much as he hates aliens. No, Mon, he doesn't hate women, he just hates you.

11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Empire's End was a bonus disc iirc.

Also mon mothma was awful in dark forces.

And I like Kyle and Jan's voices in them, tbh. Probably the only one.

And everything in this humble bundle is fully cast.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
  13. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
  14. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Fixed

15. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Fixed.

;)

DarthStymi likes this.
  16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Traitor is ok abridged but when you've read it over 9000 times you notice what's missing. I like Jonathan Davis' voices for Ganner and Jacen though. Nom Anor had a Slavic accent which is not what I was expecting.

17. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    No book is OK abridged. It's an abomination, unforgivable curse, and probably the actual reason the Force became unbalanced. My message is very "Zeta" on the issue.

Also...I am ashamed my poopoo secret has been outed.

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah they cut out the part where the universe loved Jacen back.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    There are some books that really really should be. Editing is a thing that sometimes happens after publication.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It was on CD but only as part of a limited run 5-CD collector's edition.

21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Just bought the full set. I never thought I'd ever get to listen to these as I thought they were never released digitally.

Look forward to hearing what happens to stormtroopers when Kyle looks at them.

22. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Abridged is a ripoff and just unholy. If it could be edited, you miss out on what has been published, both the good and bad. I'd prefer to be the one to decide what may have been skip-able.

Plus the value of bad story-telling and editing as well. That's how you learn what is and isn't good, from a reader's and writer's perspective.

Really glad SW stopped doing abridged in...2010 I think it was? And now we're seeing some of those upcoming "YA" SW novels getting unabridged audio treatment as well.

Another trend I hope not only continues but increases.

Audiobooks have experienced a pretty big explosion due to smart phones and audible.com, outpacing hardback sales at times (that happened with Scalzi's "Lock In," for example). (Don't know how to italicize in the Tapatalk app...I don't even access the TFN forum via a PC anymore.)

Dr. Steve Brule, Davak24 and Zorrixor like this.
  23. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    They've been available from Audible for years (except for Empire's End). However, I think this the first time they've been available DRM-free.

(deleted Lock In comments because I was wrong :))

24. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    The audiodramas have been? Odd, I never knew that... though maybe it's the UK site being lame, as it often misses stuff (like the Plagueis audio, which I had to import on CD form).

25. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Curious what the wrong Lock In comment was...as an audiobook and Scalzi fan...