main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars in 3d- Possible replacement for SWMA

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Anonymous_Jedi, Mar 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Some of you may have heard me talking about my "new idea" and such. A couple people already know what it is. Well I'm proud to announce "Star Wars in 3d" or SWi3D for short. This website is almost meant to replace SWMA as it's obvious SWMA is not coming back. I have started to contact various former SWMA members, and asking them about hosting their models. As soon as I have a couple, I'll open the site up. It's already constructed, just awaiting content. The site will also host (like SWMA) a photo gallery of 3d imagery, and 3d animations. This idea, I hope, will be a lot more usefull to the Fan Film community than SWLFF would of been. Thanks to the folks over in the SciFi3d forum for giving support on this idea, and saying that they'd love a new SWMA. I already realize the space and bandwith that a site like this will take eventually, and am prepared to deal with it.

/-=AJ=-\

2. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Nice one. That sounds like a great idea. Hope you get the models/support you are looking for. Give us a shout when it's up and running and we'll post the news on the front page for you if you like.

3. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Cool :)

Thanks Daft!
    :)

\-=AJ=-/

4. Ryebread

Ryebread Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2001
    Good luck! You're gonna need it ;)

5. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
  6. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Maybe you should host Electric Image models too... like, Daft's models... his new ATUT is sweet, not to mention everything else... but I don't know if he would want to host them... I mean think, if you could get his, and Duality's, you would have some GREAT models exclusively developed for fanfilms...

Getting them though, is something completely different... I mean they did put alot of work into them.

All in all, I don't see why anyone wouldn't want this, we can ALWAYS use more resources.

Cya
    Mike

7. madppiper

madppiper Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2002
    I do wish you luck as well... :) I think we should chat a little about major upgrades on the server and so on.. (you know business) tell me if you need some more help to accomplish the task. I'm sure willing to help you out with many things buddy.. :)

8. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Well I'll be darned AJ, good job, I look forward to it!

¤Night

9. sqerl

sqerl Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2002
    Great news! look forward to a new resource.
    Best of luck!

10. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Hey madpipper, ya I think we might, after the feedback I've gotten, I think it might be a good idea :)

Thanks for the support guys!

FYI, I will be hosting any and all formats that are submitted to me, I will be searching out mainly for the 4 most popular formats (IMO) 3ds, MAX, LW, and now Electric Image. I will, like I said, take any format that is submitted to me.

I see you registered already, madpipper, how'd you know which directory it was in? :p

11. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    You consider putting togethor a crew to detail and texture models on the site. There were lots of incomplete and low-detail models at SWMA. If you had some regular people like Sci-Fi 3D does who can improve existing models, port them to other formats, and make new ones then I think your site will get allot of hits.
    I've gotten pretty good at converting 3DS meshes to Animation:Master, in a few months I might have enough free time to help out.

12. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    you know guys, here is a link to a mirror that had all the SWMA stuff.

http://atlas.spaceports.com/~admiral/swma/swma.html

werd

13. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Thanks brent, thanks a lot. [/sarcasm]

It actually does not have everything, plus it doesn't get updated, and it also does not have a photo gallery or a animation area.

14. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    I have recently received a contact from JarJarThomas here at SciFi3d for hosting 2 models, so as soon as he uploads the models, I'll open the site up, so expect it within the next couple days.

15. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Cool, he's a great artist, and a good friend :)

16. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    BIG UPDATE: I received a reply back to one my e-mails that went out about hosting models.
    Al Meerow, former SWMA member, has agreed to let me use his TIE Fighter, Interceptor, Millenium Falcon, and Y-wing models. The models were used for Decipher's Jedi Knights.

They have been uploaded, and the page has been opened, you can view Star Wars in 3d here:

SWi3d

17. sqerl

sqerl Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2002
    Bravo AJ!!
    great work getting the site up and running...
    much sooner than expected - no?

:D

look forward to many more models!

request: anyone got the Lar's Homestead? :D

18. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Cool AJ, I hope this site grows and grows!

19. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Thanks guys! Yes, this was much sooner than expected, and I for one am happier about it! Thanks Al Meerow!! Thanks, EagleI, I'm hoping the same :)

*waits patiently for it to be added to news on fanfilms.com as promissed*

20. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    The news is posted on the front page, let's see if there is a rush :)

As for me submitting Electric Image Models, I'll be happy to. But - I'd like to do it after the film is finished and people have had a chance to see what I've done with them, I guess this is fairly normal practice for people. So don't hold your breath on my submissions, they aren't going to be any time soon :(

EDIT: Actually something went badly wrong and the dang thing posted itself three times, how's that for overkill media exposure!

::Daft kicks stupid Internet Explorer::

21. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    LOL DAFT!!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Mesa tinkin' dis be good tim for new news mod!

22. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    Well done. This is a great move, I hope you get the support it it deserves.

Pete

23. Assassin

Assassin Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2000
    This whole issue with the SWMA is rediculous. I know a dozen servers with loads of bandwidth that they could park that site on.

Those guys need to to just ask around and I garuntee you that there are tons of people who could help them relocate for peanuts.

24. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Thanks Daft, lol, Media overkill is fine with me ;) BTW, it is normal for most authors of models to keep them from download until the work they were made for is finished, so that's understandable :)

Thanks again for the support! This should be a large success :)

EDIT: Assassin: Oh well, I'm here now and SWMA isn't ;)

25. Assassin

Assassin Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2000
    Good luck to your site....my only thought on the matter is that the SWMA has a better interface in terms of their site and a HUGE archive of quality fan art.

That art deserves to be shown somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.