main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars in 3d- Possible replacement for SWMA

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Anonymous_Jedi, Mar 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    You're welcome.

2. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    I think it works nicely with my current theme :D

EDIT: BTW, you were personally thanked on my news :)

3. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Thanks. And yeah, I tried to keep it with your red, yellow, and black theme.

4. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
  5. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    whoa whoa whoa, i go and what happens? my theme is gone! What happened to the other two themes! i was using those! I mean no offense, but i liked them better than what you were running [face_blush]

Can you put them back up please :D

¤Night

6. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    *sniff*
    Fine.

*mopes to FTP*

7. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    lol i'm sorry, your site is just so great i want to make it customizable in all ways!

and ummm do you have an Instant Messenger Client? i ran into some trouble and i think i need you to help me fix it :(

¤Night

8. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Haha, I'm just playing with you ;)

9. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    I just wanted to throw out an extra thanks to Daft for posting it in the news as I just checked my referal reports.

This thread: 19
    News post: 183

I'm supposing this is individual visitors, as I received over 200 seperate visitors before yesterday was over.
    I have received 136 unique visitors today, and in total 366. I'm pretty sure this will be a successful site :)

EDIT: Pure hits, 712

10. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Ok guys, over 400 unique visitors now, and more models!!!

A Death Star in 3DS, MAX, and Animation:Master format; also an Imperial Star Destroyer (3ds, MAX) and an Interdictor cruiser (3ds, MAX) were added.

More models will come in a few hours, I'm running low on time at the moment, so check back soon!

11. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    what would be nice would be to see the author of the meshes right next to the images. It would help promote their work. :)

12. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Unless you mean by pictures, the author is listed next to the downloads.

13. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    yes, by the pic, so that when you see the image, you already know who it's from

14. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    That would be a waste of bandwith (something I'll soon need all that I can get my hands on) to put the authors picture next to every model. They are listed under the picture of the model as the authors already.

15. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    I have to admit I personally think it sounds like a wash. The 3D community is so diluted as it is #1. And #2 there's nothing new about it. I think until the SWMA is officially closed and/OR the mirrors cease to exist ... there is just no reason for yet another SWMA type of site. There's just no content to support it. All these people end up doing is just hosting the current SWMA and SCIFI 3D content. And I personally get a bad feeling in my stomach about such goals. The last time that happened I had to hunt a guy down to Austrailia and have his site removed b/c he was stealing the SCIFI 3D content. NOT that this new site is doing that... taking images and whatnot. But in the end all it becomes is another place just trying to host what SCIFI 3D and SWMA already have.

INSTEAD... why not just do images and animations? There have been more people who say they miss that more than anything else. Maybe some low-end models too. There's alot of stuff that SCIFI 3D just doesn't want to host b/c of the quality. But it's a shame people can't look at it like they did at SWMA in the good-old days. I miss that myself too.

16. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Hi Zoo, I understand your point of view, and I thought about this for a bit. I planned on hosting more models than SCIFi3d, as more could be submitted as I'm a lot more leniant on quality. However, some great models have been submitted, and I'm not going to turn them down. The point is that I'll host the lower quality models as well if submitted, as to give a better variety of models if not the greatest of quality (model that could also be used for background shots as well), and intend to host animations and pics, although none have been submitted quite yet. I'm already revising the layout to give the average user better access to the site without having to look all over the place. The main reason I decided to start the site, and to host models, is that I personally miss the vast variety of models SWMA had, even though they weren't the best of quality. I did manage to get many of them before it went down, although I can't host them because of permission problems without contacting the authors, and I haven't had much time to do so yet, and even then, I don't even know which models came from SWMA or another location.

Thanks for the input! :)

AJ

17. Melvil

Melvil Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2000
    IMHO I think that one more "big" site won't hurt...Sci-Fi 3D seems to take highest quality only, and SWMA accepted more levels of detail and quality. Now that SWMA isn't updating anymore, obviously, I don't think having another site that isn't as strict to what gets on is a bad idea.

Keep it up, AJ, I hope to see this a success. =P

-Dave

18. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Thanks for the support, Melvil :)

19. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Ok guys, sorry I didn't notice it before, but the gallery is now fixed!! You can now submit images for approval, you don't need to have them anywhere but on your computer, it'll upload the file from your computer for submission. If it's accepted the file will be moved to the main directory, so no hassel to the user :)

EDIT: Forgot to menchion that Flash animations are acceptable as well.

20. cassius

cassius Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2001
    Did anyone else have a problem with their account setup at SWi3D? can fill in all the info and submit it, but then nothing after that.

21. madppiper

madppiper Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2002
    Is your name cassiusa? Then you are already registered..

22. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Make sure you hit "Finish" at the end and get your password which is displayed on the next page, if you forgot to get it, I will gladely delete your account so you can re-register.

23. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    AJ, I sent you an image, it's in photoshop format, but I thought it would help, spice up the site. Anyway, that was my stab at trying to help :)

Zoo, don't worry man, there's nothing wrong with a little bit of competition ;)

24. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    PSD format? If I'm not mistaken that's not viewable on the web, try using "Save as..." in Photoshop and save it as a jpg and re-submit it. Thanks for the submission!! :)

Just so you know, I added a message board today, and will soon go on a search for tutorials. :)

25. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    AJ, are you Eric M., the name at the bottom of your website? That is who I sent it to, I put it in photoshop format so that you could utilize the image for your website, it's not a jpeg for your gallery...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.