main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars in the mind of a child...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by AnaKanned_Food, Mar 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnaKanned_Food

AnaKanned_Food Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 20, 2003
    Does anyone here remember how they used to incorrectly interpret certain Star Wars events when they were a child? Let me give an example... I remember watching Return of the Jedi a long time ago and whenever I saw the scene where Han Solo hits Boba Fett's pack, I swore he screamed, "Ebola attack? Ebola attack? Where?!" I had always interpreted his words in this fashion until the day I turned on closed captions on my TV. Another event was when Han was frozen in carbonite. There is a certain scene where we see his frozen body being lifted from the freezing chamber... we can see the silhouette of his face but otherwise it is ambiguous what we are looking at. In my childish mindset I thought we were looking at some mysterious hooded woman who was standing at the controls watching as Han was being lifted out of the pit. Another scene was during Empire Strikes Back when Chewie was thrown into that prison on cloud city. While he was being tortured by the loud screechy noise, I, for some reason, thought the ceiling above him was lowering as well. Don't ask me to explain why I thought the ceiling was falling. I assumed it was falling because, well... just because. It kinda looked like it to me! And the noise? Obviously the noise was being generated by the descending ceiling. Well there's my childhood Star Wars mindset for you. Anyone else have any contributions?

2. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    I remember that as a child I thought Tatooine was Earth in the future. That was until they called it Tatooine in the film. I also thought that Tarkin was the head of the Empire until I saw ESB and I thought that the Empire was destroyed at the end of Star Wars. I was 7 years old then.

3. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    All I remember from a very young age is that I laughed with Vader at the end of ANH when he was spinning in a TIE, cursing for his defeat or something. As a kid, I thought it was very funny.

4. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Another scene was during Empire Strikes Back when Chewie was thrown into that prison on cloud city. While he was being tortured by the loud screechy noise, I, for some reason, thought the ceiling above him was lowering as well. Don't ask me to explain why I thought the ceiling was falling.

The ceiling isn't going lower??? man I gotta check that out!

5. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    As to what Han was saying on the skiff, ("Ebola attack..." thats a good one!) the Weenie, when he was but a weenling always thought he was saying "Dont look back? Dont look back? Where?"

He also always thought that Darth Vader was purely a robot. I mean, for YEARS! From like ages 8-13! Its right there in the movies, but for some reason, he kept missing it. His aunt had to explain it to him.

Also, he remembers arguing with other kids about which was better, Star Wars or Star Trek, and using this argument as to why Star Wars is better:

It went a little something like this...

"Nuh-uh. Star Warz is more better than Star Track cause in Star Track they need communicators to talk to each other far away, but Star Wars is so cool that they dont need little communicators to call each other when theyre far away. Star Wars is way more better. Yuh-huh. Yuh-HUH!!"

...In Star Trek, you know how they have those little boxes that they have to flip open to call the ship? He always thought that when Luke was calling Leia in ESB, that they were using THEIR communicators. He thought everyone in the Star Wars universe had a communicator built right into their body or something, so they didnt have to carry around "communicators."

6. Jet_Black

Jet_Black Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2003
    I thought that ILM genetically engineered the Ewoks. That they were real living beings. Go figure.

7. The_Standmaiden

The_Standmaiden Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 28, 2002
    [face_laugh] I was so sad as a kid when Han fell out of the carbonite, because I thought he was dead. :p

And I thought Alderaan was Earth in the future . . . [face_laugh]

Of course, I first saw ANH in French, so that could be the difficulty with Alderaan. :p

8. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I used to think that the Death Star in ROTJ was the one from ANH, only it was sligthly damaged. Of course I couldn't read then, so I didn't know it was a new Death Star.

Here's another one:

"The Jundland Wastes are not to be traveled lightly."

Now, when I was little, I thought he said this.

"A gentleman wastes enough to be traveled. Likely."

The hell? It must have been the lousy tape. The audio must have been really bad.

9. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
    Hey, that's what I thought it was until recently... :p

10. FurryDuck

FurryDuck Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    When I was younger, I had no idea why the Empire was after the Rebellion in the first place. I had no idea what "plans" they were even referring to. Despite that extremely important fact, I still loved the movie.

11. medleyoz

medleyoz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Same. i had no idea why the empire was after the rebels and thouhgt that the empire was just ships in space as they were never on any planets.
    I also thought SW sucked. How 5 years changes opinions :)

12. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    I remeber watching SW for only one reason... to see cool loking aliens! Because this was what interested me, RotJ beame my fav movie, because you get to see the aliens sooner than in the other two.

I hated ESB, because I thought Hoth was boring.

I don't know how many times I watched the films, but one time, when I was about 15, I was watching ESB, and I was totally shocked when Luke's hand is cut off. I guess i never noticed it in all the years I watched them, or maybe I never watched ESB all the way through... I'll never know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.