main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Inferno Squad

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Zohar

Zohar Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017
    To avenge the emperor?

JediFett10 likes this.
  2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    At the cost of compromising with those distasteful wannabes? Ugh.

SpecForce Trooper and Daneira like this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The very early First Order, comprised mostly of survivors - I could see incorporating Inferno Squad. Later on though, not so much.

4. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    The impression I got from sitting on the Battlefront panel is that Inferno Squad is largely true believers. They are out to avenge their emperor, damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead. As to why they side with the first order, I expect that well learn about that in the game itself since the 30 year gap is when the campaign takes place, that leaves more than enough time for their dogma to overtake their patriotism.

My guess is, from the bits we got, they are so obsessed and blinded with revenge for their fallen Empire that they'll team up with anyone who beats that same drum. Hux's speech in TFA probably moved them to tears.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

5. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    It'd be cool if one member of Inferno Sqaud tries to back out the first order and one of the missions is tracking down and executing the deserter

MandaloreRex2015 and Ben09 like this.
  6. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    It could also be as simple as being loyal imperials who didn't want to lose the war, kept on ignoring chances to stand down and surrender, joined the initial First Order in the Unknown Regions, and simply see the new Snoke group as still being legitimate and a way to redress the way the universe "wronged" them.

Our protagonist is a propagandist's and Admiral's daughter, so she'd already grown up presumably drinking the Kool-aid about how much better and stable the Empire is in comparison to the Galactic Republic. We also know she's initially targeting the Partisans in this book, which implies her initial experience is with the dark side of the Rebellion. And of course, if her father's a powerful Imperial, any and all privileges she had growing up are centered in the Imperial way of life. She's basically tailor-made to view herself and the Empire as heroic crusaders for justice and order. She's probably the type to view the Death Star as a good thing.

And then one day the Rebellion blows it up and kills her emperor, something that seemed utterly impossible to her. It doesn't make sense with her view of the Galaxy, wherein the Rebellion was never a worthy opponent but instead scum to be exterminated, and the following months immediately throw the rest of the Galaxy into a tailspin. All these "disloyal" planets start rebelling as well, and "incompetent" or "cowardly" Imperials start surrendering, defecting, or fighting for themselves. Her home and her family, or what's left of them, are probably taken by the New Republic, and she finds herself one of the selected individuals to receive instructions from the Sentinels, and winds up engaged over Jakku and fleeing to the Unknown Regions.

And here, she allows herself to succumb to the propaganda of Snoke's First Order and the narrative that continues to paint her as an exiled hero. We know the First Order is apparently all about decrying the New Republic as illegitimate and explicitly sees itself as the Empire's successor. And that suits her fine, because otherwise she has to face the possibility that all of her actions after Endor, when she could have learned the truth, we're both impotent in changing the tide, and *wrong.*

7. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    And really, who knows. Maybe some of the Inferno squad will join the resistance in time. 30 years is a long time for things to change.

8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    While this novel is supposed to just cover the Ep IV-V time period the game is said to take place at various points throughout the 30 year gap between ROTJ and TFA. Be interesting if this new character goes out into the Unknown Regions with the First Order or if she stays in the known galaxy.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  9. Ben09

Ben09 Jedi Knight

Jun 18, 2016
    Please Unknown Regions, please Unknown Regions, please Unknown Regions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I was wondering if this would be her mother's boss:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dasita_Lyros

the head of COMPNOR's art division?

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's not just propaganda. The Versios really did see the best of what the Empire had to offer. The panel made it clear that they really felt a loss with the fall of the Empire.

And besides, this book is set way earlier. This is OT. Post-RO/ANH.

And video game trailers aren't necessarily always what they seem.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

SilentGuy66 and MercenaryAce like this.
  12. Landb

Landb Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    I'm cautiously hopeful for this book because of the subject matter, though I haven't heard the best things about the author. The fact that it's set well before the BF2 campaign at least reassures me that it won't be a defection fakeout, where the protagonist joins the Rebels three chapters in. There's nothing wrong with a defector story, but we've had plenty of those already so a change would be nice.

I'm one of those weirdos who actually liked the Stormtroopers as a separate thing. Not elite special forces or anything (I think portraying them as such is a mistake), but a group with a different mission, training, equipment, physical standards, organizational culture (including political reliability), etc. to the regular army. Like an unholy hybrid of the popular perception of the USMC and Waffen-SS.

None of the post-WEG material really reflected this though, as Stormtroopers are so iconic that writers, game devs, etc. couldn't help using them for everything. That left the entire idea of a separate Imperial army as an inconsistent-feeling relic.

In any case, the new canon seems to be going with the 'all infantry = Stormtroopers' idea which, while somewhat unexciting, is at least not a confused muddle.

MercenaryAce and Iron_lord like this.
  13. ImperialEwok

ImperialEwok Jedi Padawan

Mar 16, 2017
    Cover looks awesome except for the big huge "BATTLEFRONT II" why did they have to go and do that?

14. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    The cover does look nice but I doubt it will be a good book. :(

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They were probably asked to.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. ImperialEwok

ImperialEwok Jedi Padawan

Mar 16, 2017
    I know, still wish they hadn't done it though. Oh well, it's not like I'm just not going to buy it because of it. The important part is the story itself and I can't see the cover when the book is open

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  17. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm even more interested in book now.

18. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Personally, I was kind of sad to see this book get the Battlefront tie-in as I was hoping for Freed to return. I'll give it a chance but I am very very nervous considering my feelings regarding the author's last few books.

19. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    So can we all assume by Iden's line "I've been waiting thirty years for this" that she and inferno squad became part of the First Order?

vncredleader and godisawesome like this.
  20. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    I was honestly going to pass on this, but seeing all the info that came out at the battlefront panel....yeah, I'm into it. Looking forward to this one!

21. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014

Marketing

Daneira likes this.
  22. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Also, it's literally a prequel to the Battlefront II game, featuring the main character of the narrative campaign. Whereas the first BF book (Twilight Company) was mostly a tonal tie-in, and featured some of the locations, gear, and class-types featured in the game (Hoth, Sullust, etc), this book is a direct tie-in to the story in the BFII game. Making it an explicit tie-in works for both parties.

Daneira likes this.
  23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I'd say so. Considering the game's writer is the guy behind Spec Ops: The Line, I feel we're likely in for a protagonist who starts out very sane and largely moral at the start of Inferno Squad, but becomes myopic and a bit brainwashed by the end, probably reaching a moral level similar to the Partisans she starts out fighting; pursuing admirable goals, but going too far in her methods.

Then the game will start with the protagonist as that very Byronic anti-Hero, a warrior full of admirable qualities but extremely flawed priorities, someone who can inspire loyalty and fights for what they perceive as law and order... But also believes with all her heart that a planet-destroying superweapon in the hands of a government that casually blew up a Core World is a good thing. When it blows up, and she finds herself part of Palpatine's revenge campaign, and becomes even more myopic and hypocritical. Where she probably starts out in Inferno Squad motivated to put an end to collateral damage-happy Partisan terrorists on behalf of civilians, she now starts participating in contemptible and chaotic campaigns against civilians.

And when she inevitably is driven from the Galaxy after Jakku, she feels that *she* has been betrayed and victimized, and is fully behind murdering a system of planets as retribution, now as a full victim. Heck, maybe she plays a part in a game mission wherein Snoke's people throw a coup to enact the fanaticism of the ST First Order in place of Sloane's still somewhat moderate faction. And I'm hoping one of her teammates or allies plays the role of foil, by turning away from the Squad when things start to get dark.

24. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Synergy!!!

25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    A very trendy word.

vncredleader likes this.