main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Inferno Squad

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Landb

Landb Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    Can it really be called trendy if it's been popular since around when ANH first hit theaters? We've been leveraging synergies in the wheelhouse of our core competencies to action key deliverables for our relevant stakeholders for a very long time now. The word's got staying power.

In any case, the "Battlefront II" logo, while sub-optimal for the consumer set that enjoys film tie-ins but not game ones, grows Battlefront™ sub-brand identity and visibility within the greater Star Wars™ publishing ecosystem. As the Battlefront™ line has potential to become a robust brand synonymous with high-impact gritty ground-level Star Wars™ combat, going forward it is clearly strategic best practice to include the tagline on any upcoming products within that vertical.

2. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    This is very, very simple. The book is a prequel to a video-game called Battlefront 2....so we put Battlefront 2 on the cover.

3. Landb

Landb Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    Isn't that exactly what I said?

All jokes aside, personally I don't see having "Battlefront" on the cover as anything inherently worse or different from putting the Star Wars logo on it. After Twilight Company, I actually kind of like the idea of Battlefront branching out from being the name of a video game to being an actual sub-brand indicating a focus on soldiers who aren't big movie names.

4. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Sort of how the X-wing series went? Yeah, I'd enjoy that.

Landb likes this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Re: the line about Versio going crazy and being like the Partisans.... Golden had a really great comment at the publishing panel.

She said she approached writing Partisans the same way she wrote Imperials: people who do bad things with good intentions. Directly linking the two as mirror images is really interesting.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    It works with the sort of mujihadeen vibe they were giving off in R1, too.

Darth Nave likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Until now I can't say I've cared a whit for this due to Golden's track record, which does precede her.

On the other hand, while I haven't read her previous Wars output, a long time back I did read her Voyager 2-parter that picked up after that series' TV finale. It wasn't great, but neither was it bad, and for the few quid they cost me, it was perfectly fine entertainment. It also continued the 'dodgy admiral' Trek tradition.

Combined with the record of the new material in the main, I'm now inclined to take a look at this. Who knows, I might be pleasantly surprised?

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    When in the timeline does it take place? I've seen multiple different answers to this question. :)

9. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017

The book takes place right after Rogue One and will definetly take place around the time when Death Star blows up. Its called Battlefront 2 because its a tie-in novel to the game.

MandaloreRex2015 and Darkslayer like this.
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    So it doesn't take place right before the game? More like a few years before?

11. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Right, the game seems to begin on Endor. The book takes place in 0 ABY, "After the humiliating theft of the Death Star plans and the resulting destruction of the battle station."

MandaloreRex2015 and Darkslayer like this.
  12. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
  13. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    So Iden was one of the TIE pilots during the Battle of Yavin, nice!

Counter likes this.
  14. Counter

Counter Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 3, 2017
    I like where Iden's story is going. Not super thrilled by the writing quality in that excerpt though...

15. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    SilentGuy66 likes this.
  16. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I wonder if we find out which member (s) of red squadron Iden shot down

17. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    It seems like she scored the first kill, in which case it would be Red 4, John D. Branon. If this is the case then we also have a live action depiction of her, as we can see the TIE pilot that shot him down. After this point in the excerpt, the next ship to get shot down is a TIE, which would correlate with the one that's shooting at Wedge and then gets destroyed by Luke.

Interestingly though, she's never met Vader, which would imply, along with her call sign TIE Sigma 3, that these TIEs aren't part of Black Squadron as they were in Legends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

starfish and SilentGuy66 like this.
  18. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Damn, Iden took out two X-Wings and two Y-Wings at Yavin? Plus I'm pretty sure the Y-Wing pilot that evaded her at the end would be Evaan...

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  19. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Not sure how I feel about her being one of the TIE fighter pilots at the first Death Star's destruction. I've always found it contrived when new characters are shoehorned into already existing canon in roles that were never explicitly named. I can look past it if the story is good though.

20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Another OT shoehorn, first Lost Stars and now this, the canon universe really isn't for me.

21. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I don't see a problem with it. If she's one of the Empire's best it follows that she'd be on the Death Star. The Empire intends for that to be their primary weapon, so someone like Iden would be a natural choice for the defense Force. Also, this story is based on Imperials after the aftermath of the Death Stars destruction. Having her present provides her with a stronger connection to the battle which should strengthen the narrative. Doing this makes a lot of sense.

Plus, the EU did this sort of thing all the time

22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The EU did this sort of thing is the problem, I don't want or need another version of the universe. I don't need a bunch of replacement or altered characters that make me want the old version, that is all the canon universe seems to do for me.

23. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I'm just going to post this one time

But please, please the power that be, please don't make them defect. I want them to die in the service of the Empire or join the First order.

Also non star wars related. I want the Jennings, Elizabeth and Phillip to die valiantly in the service of the SSSR at the end of the Americans.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  24. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    I agree with this but I don't consider Iden being one of the TIE pilots at the Battle of Yavin to be an example. That pilot didn't have a name or backstory in Legends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    That writing is the same Christie Golden quality I've come to expect from her. Knowing that this is going to sell a bajillion copies because it has the words 'Star Wars' on the cover is, in its own way, rather comforting to me.