main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Inferno Squad

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Feb 17, 2017.

1. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    It still happens sometimes. I know it sounds weird to think that a typo can slip through even after half a dozen people (all specifically looking for errors) have read a book about 20 times, but it does happen. Just kind of the nature of the business. When we find them, they get fixed in reprints, and we move on.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  2. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Can THIS be the "Typical Zeta" image?

Daneira likes this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    "Arthas" is one of my all-time favorite spin-off books from any media franchise and Christie Golden has a LOT of great books. It's just Fate of the Jedi and Dark Disciple trapped her in areas which were never going to turn out good.

4. Axrendale

Axrendale Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2017
    I have no idea what sort of literary quality to expect from this book (I will probably love it regardless) but I do have to say that I am hugely impressed by the cover art. It might very well be the most badass cover image of any Star Wars novel to date, in my recollection.

5. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    The covers for the canon novels have been pretty consistently solid.

Axrendale likes this.
  6. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Please don't kriffing defect.

PLEASE.

Is there no loyalty?! What kind of message is Disney sending if they defect at the end?

7. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Loyalty to evil is wrong. All decent people should defect from the Empire. That Ciena Ree didn't show how rigid her thinking was and how effective Imperial brainwashing was. If the cause you serve is evil, brutal and completely immoral, you shouldn't be serving it. If you do, you're a part of that evil. People like to admire Imperial Officers like Thrawn and Piett. But they're a part of the Empire, just as Tarkin was. They serve the same evil master, the same corrupt organization that condones the massacre of civilians and destruction of planets.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So you've read the book via ARC and are now breaking every rule of its acquisition by giving out a massive spoiler untagged?

9. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    no I have not read the book. Nor even the excerpt.

Just a question, if say someone such as me write comments or fanfic that turns out to be true in a future book ahead of time, did I committ plagilarism?

Edit:

Besides, are you telling me they do in fact defect at the end?! Dang it! I was going to buy that book!

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Almost certainly not, considering they're the protagonists of Battlefront II, which this book is a prequel to.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No Mu, I'm saying you're being foolish convincing yourself that the book will be crap ahead of time.

And, if you can't let the fear go, you know there'll be spoilage here probably before and on day of release, so it's not as if you're going to be at risk of buying a book you'll hate.

Oh and as for plagiarism? If you took material from the book and attempted to present it as your own, without acknowledgement of source, that would be probably plagiarism and copyright theft and your arse would be sued unto oblivion by LFL Legaltroopers.

12. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    okay to avoid spoils I will be out of here.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So which is it? You don't want to risk buying a book you might not like a plot development of, but don't want spoilers either?

In any case spoilers will be tagged on pain of the Wrath of the Mod Squad, so you have to choose to open them.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Okay, let's calm down.

My understanding is that there will be no ARCs of this book. However, there is always the ever-present risk of people finding the book early in stores or otherwise leaking information prior to release. All spoilers need to be tagged prior to release.

Now, with that clarification, I don't think Mu here is posting spoilers. And this talk about plagiarism is really off the mark. What Mu is doing is speculating, and describing a plot point that they wouldn't like. So long as speculation is not sourced in spoilers, people are free to speculate as they wish. Speculation isn't fanfic or plagiarism -- it's just guessing what's going to be in a book.

So let's chill a bit.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I was going for playful with the spoiler quip, as the book isn't out for over a month, but was actually trying to give a proper answer on Mu's plagiarism Q as I did read it as a genuine question, but accept it all got horribly muddled.

Might have been better to have added an emoji or two I suppose.

Vialco likes this.
  16. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    You can never go wrong with emojis.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Kind of yeah, but I kind of thought a spoiler quip about a book not out for over a month would be an obvious joke, but such is discussion by text alone. I was going for the idea of Mu clearly being a time traveller but was too subtle about it.

EDIT: In any case if we're being serious about whether there would be any defection of the squad, there's really only one answer and no, it's not mine:

Vialco likes this.
  18. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Looking for ARC's got me fired.

19. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Just read the excerpt and I'm midly confused. Suppose I'll have to wait to find out how long

Iden was stuck in the Yavin system until she returned to the Empire. This is considering that according to Lost Stars, Ciena and Barisse could only find Darth Vader's ship among the Death Star debris.

Vialco likes this.
  20. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Clearly, she makes it to Yavin IV and ends up staying there until fighting Princess Leia.

Then she ends up escaping with the help of Kylo Ren and Rey Skywalker.

Wait, wrong universe.

TheRedBlade, Vialco and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    If I remember correctly Vader requested Ciena or someone from the Devastator to pick him up. So it could be possible, that she was picked up first, by a different ship. That ship could have been told to leave Vader because someone would be their soon.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. Axrendale

Axrendale Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2017
    Is there a technical term for the phenomenon of Star Wars fans freaking out over the possibility that things which are EXTREMELY unlikely to happen in forthcoming movies/books/games/comics might actually happen?

Asking for a friend.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  23. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I know who you're referring to

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Qorl

Daneira, Revanfan1 and Charlemagne19 like this.
  24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    IdenIsQorl2017

Together, my friends, we can make this a reality.

25. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Welp, I know what my gamertag for Battlefront II is going to be now.

I might have to reread YJK with First Order gear standing in for all the Second Imperium stuff.

Sinrebirth likes this.