main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Inferno Squad

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Feb 17, 2017.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Would having a clone in the squad 20 years after the end of the clone wars be a good choice? A clone would be too old by then to be physically fit for such a position. Rex got into fighting for the rebels because they didn't have the luxury to pick only the fittest fighters. What I'd like though is a clone in a mentor role to the squad. Maybe Cody could work?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  2. Takes One to Rogue One

Takes One to Rogue One Jedi Padawan

Jan 4, 2017
    I would love to see Darman or Niner on the team, as well as a showdown with Twilight Company.

Stymi likes this.
  3. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    You make a good point.

Yet...*sigh*
    When I read the news I groaned.
    Has anyone read something non-Star Wars from her?

I hope this is the actual cover because it looks darned amazeballs.

spicer likes this.
  4. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Funny thing is, after seeing R1, I said I'd love to see a Zero Dark Thirty-style story about a unit of Imperial soldiers hunting Saw. Now I'm sort of getting my wish, so I'm pretty damn psyched.

La Calavera and Daneira like this.
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    This takes place after ANH. Maybe next time read the article before denouncing something as irrelevant. ;)

6. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    That will be the largely the name of the game for Star Wars lit for a little while I'd say. Basically we'll get novels about things that don't really matter, because they don't want to write anything that will affect story-telling opportunities in other media.

So get used to "pointless"

That really has nothing to do with the point of his post. Not sure why you picked that irrelevant little error to respond to. Personally I agree that Stormtroopers v Rebels is getting a bit tiresome, when there's so much they could be doing.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  7. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I thought it would be Freed based on the title, then I realized it wouldn't be written by him based on the release date. Then I saw it was Golden. That was the fastest I've gone from super hyped to just moderately intrigued.

Still though the concept has me very interested, so we'll see how it turns out.

my kind of scum and Vthuil like this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    WHERE IS SEV? IS HE SAFE? IS HE ALIVE?

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

TBH that's the story I most want told. Delta Squad is canon, even if the game isn't, so maybe in canon Sev went missing too. And maybe we could find out what happens to him in canon, and just translate that over to Legends.

10. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Seems odd to me that post-Yavin, the focus here is on hunting Saw's group and not the Alliance proper.

11. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Well, this specific group's focus is hunting Saw's group. The Imperial war machine's huge. The Partisans are still a threat, especially considering their terroristic tendencies, so of course they'd dedicate (at least) one squad to take them out. [face_dunno]

Darth Nave, Vthuil and Force Smuggler like this.
  12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    That really didn't have much to do with my comments, but I see EmperorHorus did a good job explaining what I'm getting at.

13. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Not necessarily. There was a clone stormtrooper named Torrent in Smuggler's Run who was still active due to coming from one of the last batches of troopers grown. He was probably genetically in his 40s.

spicer and Revanfan1 like this.
  14. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I wonder how much of this fatigue has to do with the fact that we're accustomed to the old EU, too. If you're not into Legends, does this still feel like overkill?

15. 80ninjas

80ninjas Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    If it makes you feel any better, her three novels from Fate of the Jedi were pretty decent. I thought her books were better than Denning's but not as good as Allston's. FotJ was a pretty meh series, but her novels didn't make it any worse.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Sounds pretty interesting. I never get tired of Empire vs Rebels stories. I like that it'll feature an Imperial team and I'm curious to see which of Saw's partisans will be in the book.

17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Well, Omen and Allies were decent (Omen in particular), but IMO Ascension was a hot mess (with a few good points). But yeah, her stuff was generally better than Denning's. Golden herself seems to be a pretty decent author who gets stuck with bad material. Maybe this'll be a change.

18. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    The blurb makes it sound like these guys are the best of the best (heroes on par with Jyn or Luke) and having them focus on Saw's group seems like a terrible misallocation of resources.

Have we actually seen Saw's group do anything that would really piss the Empire off?

Grey1 likes this.
  19. 80ninjas

Apr 25, 2014
    Honestly, the whole of FotJ was a mess by that point. I didn't even like Allston's last FotJ novel all that much. It was always the overall story that was the problem for that series though.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    It's amazing, the mental gymnastics people do in order to give Golden another chance. When this book tanks they'll still claim that she was constrained by something and that they're looking forward to her next one.

Jedi Ben and Grey1 like this.
  21. 80ninjas

Apr 25, 2014
    She's written short stories that were pretty good TBH. It's not like we haven't seen an Star Wars author go from one extreme to the other. Denning wrote Star by Star, an (IMO) fantastic EU novel. Tatooine Ghost was also a decent book. He then proceeded to write nothing but hot garbage for almost 10 years.

Jedi Ben and Revanfan1 like this.
  22. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    He's doing quite well in the halo universe right now. As for Golden I've only read her first FOTJ novel and all I can remember thinking was that it was rather short.

23. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    Well that's because the Star Wars main comics cover the Alliance/Han-Leia-Luke.

They were clever in not killing them in the movie, that proves once again that everything happens for a reason in Star Wars, even the little background character has a story to explore, I really do not care too much about this book, but maybe I will if they choose a cool treatment, what if the Inferno Squad is made of the worse of the worse a la Suicide Squad and they are bounty hunters assigned to do the dirty job? And I hope that the partisans go out with a bang doing a major terrorist attack or blowing something big, but they are restricted to what do we know already and who knows what's gonna happen, let's wait for more info.

24. 80ninjas

Apr 25, 2014
    I just meant his Star Wars books. Halo: Last Light was a really good Halo book but everything he did for the Star Wars EU after Tatooine Ghost was abysmal. With the exception of maybe Crucible. That wasn't super terrible and was just weird enough to be interesting. It's also the last chronological novel of the old EU. Yeah, there's the legacy comics, but it's the last novel we got so it has a place in my heart :)

PimpBacca likes this.
  25. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016

Do they really? From what I see the general feeling towards her as an author is overwhelmingly negative, especially in Star Wars. As to why she keeps getting contracted to write Star Wars novels, that's anyone's guess.