main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Inferno Squad

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Were you thinking something like the Death Troopers from Rogue One?

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

They could be, but the blurb specifically says they're Imperial Navy, which basically implies these guys are Navy SEALs of the Empire. And all Imperial Naval Troops look like...

[​IMG]

3. Takes One to Rogue One

Takes One to Rogue One Jedi Padawan

Jan 4, 2017
    They did harbour Bodhi, who the Empire knew had defected with information from Galen.

While the attack at Scarif came from the Alliance, I'm sure it wouldn't take much detective work to find the link between them and the Partisans. Bodhi went to Jedha City, the Alliance bombed Eadu and then attacked Scarif shortly afterwards. I'd imagine the Partisans are big on their radar now.

From a meta perspective, focusing on this group keeps it within the Rogue One section of the canon.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Imperial Naval Troopers actually getting to do something would be fantastic!

...man, I wish Freed was writing this.

5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Another nuEU book to skip then. I-) The description doesn't sound very interesting, this is probably just to try to cash in on the Rogue One hype before it completely fades. The Blu-ray of the movie should be out by then. Their choice of author is another reason to avoid it. Her FotJ books weren't the worst of the bunch, but compared to other old EU books, very sub-par. Never read Dark Disciple so no idea if it was just FotJ's bad editing or her own poor writing that was the bigger problem (she got to write the midpoint of the FotJ series, #5, and it was pretty awful, in description and characterization and so-called romance).

I think I read through a Starcraft novel of hers, Flashpoint, and that was pretty boring too. I barely remember any pages from that book. Nothing too horrible, but nothing good either.

Oh well, at least hopefully this means Twilight Company won't be written by someone other than Freed.

Darkslayer likes this.
  6. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Would have preferred a book about a group of people apart of the CIS or instead Republic Commandos. Or even a book about a prequel era Jedi. We are all ready getting various content connected to Rogue One and OT material, be nice to get more diversity in eras.

7. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Don't worry. Ep. VIII will come out just a few months after this book which will likely lay a lot of the groundwork for Luke and Rey's backstory that the books will be allowed to then start filling in.

8. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I've read some of her Star Trek books, I liked a few, really didn't like others. I hated her Voyager relaunch books. She co-wrote a TNG/Stargazer one with Michael Jan Friedman that I quite liked, but that might've been Friedman.

9. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I mean, I can understand where the people who have no faith in Golden are coming from, but let's be fair - the near-universally beloved Aaron Allston's FOTJ books were pretty bad too, just to a lesser degree. She genuinely hasn't had a chance to write free of someone else's bad outline.

Revanfan1 and Ulicus like this.
  10. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Elite? Great, now all I can think of is "the best of the best of the best, Sir!"

Setting the newly-assembled, Death Star-revengy Imperial Elite against Saw's partisans feels like a weird choice. Yes, the partisans appear to have helped a bit in the DS destruction, yes, they may be part of the larger rebellion if you don't have the intel on the Alliance's composition. Yes, if they survived as a group, they would probably continue to do noticeable stuff somewhere.

But did the partisans survive? With the U-Wing barely escaping Jedha's destruction against all odds? With Saw himself drawing a line and essentially giving up? With not too many ships out there to get the group out? Now if they were explicitly hunting down key figures like the two tubes guy, or had any reason to see Saw's group as a path to get to the rebellion proper to avenge the Death Star some more... but having a working post-Saw grop getting this amont of attention instead of, three star destroyers and a full-on AT-AT assault, feels like a mislocation of ressources.

darthcaedus1138 and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Nah, the whole strength of a group like Saw's is that an AT-AT assault isn't a viable way to fight them.

They're running a spy-op.

12. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Yeah, I don't get the idea that these will be stormtroopers. The blurb seems to suggest they spend a substantial amount of the book as infiltrators, working within the Partisan group rather than hunting or combatting them openly. What this does make me wonder, especially with the words "elite" and "heroes," is if we'll get to see Gallius Rax to as either their commander or someone involved in the mission. This is his kind of game, after all, and it felt like Life Debt set up a lot of potentially interesting redacted backstory that would've justified his becoming a war hero.

Though I would love this idea, because I find him an interesting Imperial character, I do think it plays toward making the galaxy seem smaller. Still, it's something to think about.

13. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I hope this book doesn't do what the lords of the sith did. Advertise to be about cool and badass villains only to focus two thirds of the book on the partisans

Daneira likes this.
  14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Man, if you were dissatisfied with the amount of Sith badassery in LOTS then I don't think there's ever going to be any real pleasing you, whatsoever. Especially when most chapters that didn't directly feature the Sith emphasised them frequently as objects of terror and had the other characters ****ing their pants at the thought of them.

15. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    TBF, I think his point was as much about character focus as actual badassery.

16. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Fair, but I felt that the partisan chapters had plenty of focus on Sith Lords, too. It's in those chapters, for instance, we find out that Vader is "worshipped" by the enlisted (or the stormtrooper corps, anyway) whereas he's feared by the officers. It does a lot to paint a picture of their reputations.

17. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I mean, look at their Jeddah temple hideout - yeah, send spies to find out where they are (e.g., the only known structure on the planet that isn't the city), but once you know where they are with just one tiny opening to get out, AT-ATs! Boom. We all know we want to see an AT-AT assault, and why not use Scarif iconogaphy on the cover? ;)

18. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm glad they didn't have a Jeddah temple hideout or Earth would have been screwed.

19. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Daneira and spicer like this.
  20. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Wasn't familiar with that character. Makes sense.

21. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I'm in the not too excited camp. But at the same time...Yeah, a new Star Wars book!

I’m among the few who liked FOTJ and Golden's entries in the series. I really liked what she did with Vestara.

But DD was so terrible I'm extremely skeptical.

I'm guessing the book will feature a female protagonist. No judgement on that. I like well-written protagonists of any gender and think female protagonists in sci fi books are severely under-represented. In any case, they seem to like to bring in Golden when they want to feature a female protagonist (FOTJ, DD, and Sword of the Jedi).

Despite my lack of enthusiasm, the book also has a unique opportunity to spread it's wings and go in unique directions. Like Rogue One... Totally unexplored territory with no prescribed outcome. I hope they capitalize on that.

22. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Interesting... Battlefront 2 is coming this holiday and it's going to have a campaign. Perhaps they could be related?

All leaks related to game (concept art and screenshots) point to some kind of first order related shenanigans, but still...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

23. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I am interested to see what Golden's take on this type of story will be. Not to get into female writers vs male writers but from my experience the books from Golden and Gray seemed to be much stronger in the characterization department than say Luceno's books have been. I read Luceno's books and while he is good at weaving together plot points the characters in his stories all seem a little flat. And while Lords of the Sith was a very good book the romance that Kemp tried to build up between Cham and Isval was pretty poor in my opinion.

While I wouldn't expect any type of romance in this upcoming book I look forward to the depth of characterization that Golden can bring to the story that I feel some of the authors that are constantly praised up on this forum tend to not be so great at doing.

24. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    With Honors!

Grey1 likes this.
  25. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    I was excited now I'm eh. Finally read DD a few weeks ago and boy do I regret it. Hopefully there's a chapter where someone remnisces about Bor Gullet.