main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Inferno Squad

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Feb 17, 2017.

1. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Yeesh, I get it. Innocent was a bad choice of words.

What I meant was that seeing a group of morally righteous, good-natured and well-intentioned heroes getting slaughtered and that being glorified is not something I like to see, especially in Star Wars.

Order 66 was bad enough but at least the Jedi were jerks enough for me to divorce myself from what was happening*.

*I don't think the Jedi deserved to die.

Sent from SQUADALAH

Jedi Ben and vncredleader like this.
  2. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah but even then that still does not help you deal with the true tragedy there.......Boga's death

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So it sounds like it's the glorification that's the issue, more than the Imperial POV or the Rebels as antagonists of a story?

Supposing we had to have an Imperial story, is it that much preferable to have a story where the Empire isn't fighting the good guys? That the Empire's actions seem legitimate, righteous?

I get the Order 66 example, but on the other hand; isn't it part and parcel of being villains that the villains enjoy beating the heroes?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

vncredleader likes this.
  4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    the Partisans are the perfect choice for an Imperial POV book. Even the Rebellion thinks they're too extreme. I hate this whole black-and-white "Empire bad, all their enemies are good" nonsense. If there was a book with Luke and Leia trying to take down the Partisans, people be rooting for Luke and Leia and not be complaining that the book is glorifying violence against innocent heroes. Also, Vader took down an entire Rebel battalion in Vader Down and no one got upset about that. Lost Stars was full of sympathetic Imperials. What's the difference here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I'm actually looking forward to reading more about the partisans, other than Saw we don't know much about any of their backgrounds. Who are these ruffians, who are willing to go up against the evil empire but who are also willing to use any means necessary? I think it's also important to remember that the rebellion hasn't been around all that long, while the Empire has been using fear to control the galaxy for decades. Any one looking to fight back doesn't have a whole lot of choices, so it's easy to see how some would turn to a group like Saw's.

Stymi likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm curious to know why the Empire isn't keeping the Partisans around for propaganda purposes. Perhaps now that the Alliance has coalesced into a threat, they can't afford to leave them?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

7. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I saw that the price on Amazon was cheaper than the usual price of new SW books, so I've taken a chance and pre ordered it now. I see a lot of people don't like the author's other books but I really enjoyed Dark Discple so hopefully this will be good too.

8. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    The Partisans definitely make good propaganda for the empire.

9. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Villains who take sadistic pleasure in beating heroes is all fine and good, but those stories just don't do much for me, especially with this series. That's all.

Sent from SQUADALAH

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Generally the way you do a pro-villain / anti-hero story is you set them up against something worse.

So Frank Castle is a mass murderer, but to quote Arnie "they were all bad". So, Partisans who started off as Rebels but have gone so far away from that that the Rebels would be try and take them out if they could qualify.

11. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    For some reason I missed this! So we get the evil counterpart to Twilight Company.

12. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I'm intrigued by the sound of this. As a completionist it will be a part of my collection. :D

13. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Eh I'm confident at least one of these Imps is going to defect.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Not sure if its been said yet but the books up for pre-order on Amazon UK.

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  16. DarthKuriboh

DarthKuriboh Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2007

Are Inferno Squad a unit of the 501st Commando, I wonder....

17. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    But it doesn't have to be glorified. After all it is the nature of war that sometimes good men fall.

I would have problems if the author tried to make us think this squad is awesome/cool and their actions are just if they kill good men of the Rebellion, but if it isn't presented like that, and the message is clear this squad are the baddies, I would see no problem in making it evil empire perspective vs good rebels.

18. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I'd love if Inferno Squad was made up of surviving Death Troopers. I'd like to learn more about them and how they're perceived within the Imperial military.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  19. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Don't have much confidence for this novel. Golden's Dark Disciple was a horrible mess.

20. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    ICAM! I don't want to see IS portrayed as the good guys slaughtering the partisans. It has to be written very carefully IMO to make a compelling story.

21. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Inferno Squad are said to be Navy, while the 501st is Stormtrooper Corps, and thus Army.

DarthKuriboh likes this.
  22. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Anyone wanna bet that in a few months time we're going to get a massive "exclusive" on this book on the star wars show

"We're proud to announce that Inferno Squad's main villain will be.....Two Tubes!"

Followed by some unfunny space monkey references

23. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    The Star Wars show is too cringe for me. I'll just wait for text based news. :p

24. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Don't forget the must have kitster...

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  25. DarthKuriboh

DarthKuriboh Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2007

that's confusing as hell lol.... During the clone wars the entire force was talked about as the grand army of the republic... They didn't start using the term "Navy" until the Empire was heavily entrenched already, if I remember right. Stormtroopers serve on ships, land, and moon sized space stations, so it's hard to tell what nomenclature they are using at any given time.