main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Inferno Squad

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The Second Imperium/Maw Command are Legends answer to the First Order (which is itself crossed with the Empire of the Hand and Dark Empire too). The Deep Core Imperials hadn't surrendered by 40 ABY, 21 years after the Bastion Accords and 36 years of losing since the Battle of Endor. Makes the FO look tame, to consider that the Deep Core Imperials kept fighting until 25 ABY; they didn't hide for 20 years to hide for another 10 years and lose their Megaweapon in two days like the FO, who spent most of those years trying to get their cosplay right (and failing).

Instead the Deep Core Imperials hid in the Maw for 15 years, beat up scarheads, fought off Caedus at Fondor, and had their leader made RULER OF THE GALAXY when the GA, Confederation, and Remnant decided that Daala was better than any other politician they had at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

It should be noted that they realized their mistake two years later and had Daala removed from office in short order, once she showed her true colors.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Mind you, Daala is the perfect example of an Imperial guilty of war crimes who should have been judged as one.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  4. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

Um...yes. She destroyed cities full of civilians on Mon Calamari. Why Niathal would ever ally with her, I'll never know.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    There was also the assault on civilian targets during Darksaber.

Han also seems to have forgotten he tortured her.

Oh and the whole, "Helped construct the Death Star" business.

it's weirdly like they think she's Pellaeon when she's actually Tarkin.

Vialco likes this.
  6. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    The GFFA has to catch her first. :p

7. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

Pretty much. I was so happy when the Jedi finally arrested her in Conviction. Even in FOTJ Daala was a monster. Sending Mandalorians to violently quell peaceful slave protests.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    She benefited from fighting the current bad guys and pro-Imperial sentiment, let alone her being anti-Jedi and the GA, Remnant and Confederation not being too happy about Jedi at that stage.

Niathal could hardly divest herself of Daala when she would have lost the Battle of Fondor without Daala's help. With Niathal and Bwua'tu supporting her... I can see why the galaxy would trust an ex-Imperial in the spirit of the times.

Of course she cracked; she's Daala. At least when she applied for bail the Courts denied it on the basis that she had those associations with unrepentant Imperials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlemagne19 and Vialco like this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So I hate to disrupt this thrilling Daala discussion with an off-topic post about Inferno Squad.... but there's an SDCC exclusive variant

[​IMG]

http://www.starwars.com/news/these-star-wars-sdcc-exclusives-are-calling-to-you-first-look

I really like the original cover art actually (not that the game box art is bad, it's kind of cool, but the original cover art is dang cool). But I really like the end papers with the logo, just like the SWCO Thrawn had. If only I were going to SDCC...

10. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Thank you, was sick of the Daala discussion already. Too off-topic.

I look forward to getting my hands on this book, seems as if the new Canon books have finally made their way to the nearest bookstores in country Victoria at descent prices too :).

I've now got Before the Awakening, Thrawn and Catalyst and my new local library has Aftermath, Aftermath: Life Debt and Lost Stars.

11. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    What's really interesting is that this kind of thing happens in politics all the time.

People have extremely short memories and a couple sound bites mixed with social upheavals can dramatically sway public opinion very quickly.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I just wish we'd had Han Solo go, "I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!"

13. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

Ugh. Han was one of the people who thought choosing Daala as Chief of State was a good idea. Though it should be noted that Daala initially got three different sets of characterization in FOTJ, with Allston's Daala being the most sympathetic and reasonable. Fortunately Denning did away with that quickly and brought back extremist Daala who see dissent and promptly crushes it with brutal force.

14. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    Fortunately?

--------------------

The GFFA chief of state always seem to reign for life, unless coup happens. This is why I think it's a bourgeois system at best. Fascist at worst.

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Throwing away all of Daala's prior characterization as a murderous Space Nazi to make her a calm rational pragmatist isn't impropvement. Same as trying to say Palpatine just wanted to stop the Vong if not for those stupid hippies with guns.

MandaloreRex2015 and Vialco like this.
  16. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    but she has gold copper hair, and a Imperial! Just like Mara!

Look at Jedi Search cover. See!!! SEE!!!!

Sinrebirth likes this.
  17. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    This.

Legends had a bad habit of portraying the Empire as grey organization that had some redeeming traits. Disney Canon thankfully has consistently shown the Empire as an irredeemably evil government. Which is more along the lines of the Saga. You know you're supposed to be happy when the Death Star blows up and the Empire is defeated in ROTJ.

18. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    I can't even watch ANH and ROTJ anymore. ESB is the only thing for me now.

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    All those poor carpenters!

Thankfully, all the good people on the Death Star escaped.

2:15

MartyAvidianus likes this.
  20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Honestly, I think that was only Zahn and the Post-VOTF group.

EU had the Krytos Virus after all.

Is the canonverse all that different?

Vialco likes this.
  21. Axrendale

Axrendale Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2017
    A question for the general crowd:

Has Christie Golden ever written anything that is good? Not just entertaining, but actually *good*. I've never read any of her books - Star Wars or otherwise - so I'm earnestly interested to hear if there's anything in her oeuvre that's worth checking out.

I assume based on the sheer size of her output ( and TBQH, the subject matter thereof) that a lot of her books are just potboilers. But are there any quality ones hiding in the mass?

22. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    I cannot at current make an informed decision. Not having read any of her author controlled materials (so called Original fiction). But Her presence at SW is probably a PR stunt for having a female author to replace Karen Traviss.

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    [​IMG]

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1065894912?book_show_action=false&from_review_page=1

I gave it a 10 out of 10

[​IMG]

I really loved this book when I was a teenager.

[​IMG]

And probably the best Ravenloft novel AFTER I, Strahd and Vampire of the Mists. Larissa Snowmane still strikes me as a sexy, fascinating character who showed up many times in my Ravenloft games.

I also really liked Lord of the Clans and Rise of the Horde.

My issues with "Tides of War" was the fact Jaina Proudmoore was being reimagined into a villainess when she was my all time favorite character as a peacemaker. That wasn't Christie's fault, though.

24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'd argue it's the fact Christie Golden is a person who writes in other people's universes, is very good at maintaining lore, and doesn't mind at all following directions since a lot of her books are things she's told to write.

But yes, Jaina Proudmoore is like 8# on my all time favorite female fantasy characters so I give Christie a lot of leeway.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  25. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    Charlemagne, what about Sylvanas Windrunner?