main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Inferno Squad

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Feb 17, 2017.

1. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I very much approve of any Father Ted reference used on a forum that I assume is mostly America.

I'm also glad to see that people are liking this book as much as I did!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004

Is anyone else irritated that Battlefront II is BEFORE Battlefront?

AusStig and tatooinesandworm like this.
  3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That is a little silly, yeah.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  4. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    MEET THE EMPIRE’S BEST: AUTHOR CHRISTIE GOLDEN ON BATTLEFRONT II: INFERNO SQUAD

MARKING TODAY'S RELEASE OF THE HIGHLY-ANTICIPATED NOVEL AND GAME PREQUEL, STARWARS.COM TALKS WITH AUTHOR CHRISTIE GOLDEN ABOUT ALL THINGS INFERNO SQUAD.

Darth Vader may have the 501st Legion for crushing dissent and rebellion, but when the Empire needs a small unit to stop the spark of hope from spreading, they turn to Inferno Squad. The stars of the upcoming Star Wars Battlefront IIgame are now the heroes of a new novel from Del Rey Books. Written by New York Times bestselling author Christie Golden and out today, Battlefront II: Inferno Squad tells the story of the first major mission of this elite team: destroying Saw Gerrera’s surviving Partisans from within. With connections to the films and other stories, this is more than just setting the stage for the game’s main storyline — it’s part of the larger Star Wars saga. StarWars.com got the inside scoop on the novel from Christie Golden via e-mail.
    [​IMG]
    StarWars.com: Battlefront II: Inferno Squad focuses on an elite Imperial unit, formed right after the devastating loss of the Death Star. Who is Iden Versio, Inferno Squad’s leader, and what drives her to succeed?
    Christie Golden: Iden Versio has quite the pedigree — her father is an admiral and her mother was an artist famous for her Imperial propaganda posters. She grew up thinking that the Imperial way of thinking was completely normal and, really, only the right way to do things. But she’s always had been pushed to excel by her demanding father, so in a way, she can’t ever rest on her laurels and say, “Well, that was good enough.” Because for Versios, “good enough”…isn’t.
    StarWars.com: Inferno Squad is formed as a response to the Death Star’s destruction, and after a few missions, it is sent to infiltrate the surviving remnants of Saw Gerrera’s Partisans. Tell us about tying the events of Rogue One and A New Hope together, especially from the Empire’s point of view.
    Christie Golden: It was so amazing to see Rogue One and follow that path right up to the beginning of A New Hope. As someone who was in the theaters back in 1977, I certainly was among the many who wondered what had happened before those events. We open with Iden Versio in her TIE fighter pursuing a rebel ship as it hastens back toward Yavin’s moon, and when the debris from the Death Star starts flying, for a moment she’s completely baffled. She can’t even imagine the idea that it’s from the Empire’s most powerful weapon. And that horror, that slap in the face to the Empire really drives the action going forward.
    StarWars.com: Iden is joined on Inferno Squad by three other supremely capable warriors. She has a history with Gideon Hask — who is he, and what does he bring to the team?
    Christie Golden: Gideon Hask is a bit older than Iden, but he too trained on Vardos and got to know Iden there. He arrived at a young age, and Vardos is as much his “home” as it is Iden’s. The only family he’s known for most of his life have been the Versios. They’ve been friendly rivals all their life, and it does smart from time to time when Iden keeps excelling. But he also cares about her and, for the most part, sees no shame in being bested by someone who’s just that good.
    StarWars.com: Focusing on the intel is the specialty of Seyn Marana, whose youthful appearance belies her capabilities. What is it like getting into her point of view?
    Christie Golden: Seyn was really great to write. She’s the youngest of the team, and the least experienced in the field, although she’s excelled in simulations. She’s a genius with an eidetic memory and is the master of 27 languages. Her team doesn’t underestimate her, but others do, and she is quite happy to use that to her advantage. It was fun getting into the mindset of someone who approaches things a bit differently than our other three TIE pilots.
    StarWars.com: The team’s technical expert, Del Meeko, seems also likely to be voted most affable. How does he round out the team?
    Christie Golden: I’m quite fond of Del. He’s the one who’s going to make the joke that eases the tension, even if sometimes it’s not a very good joke. He’s older than the others, and he’s got more experience but, like Gideon, he recognizes that Iden is someone special. There’s a warmth and a real sense of decency about him. He may not be the strong leader that the driven Iden is, or the laser-focused Gideon, or the brilliant Seyn, but he’s always going to be the one you turn to when you need someone who’s unconditionally loyal, reliable, and trustworthy.
    StarWars.com: The novel does more than tie into the characters of the upcomingBattlefront II video game, it also connects into the larger story of the Star Warsstoryline. What types of connections might we see in this story, both to the films, and to other stories?
    Christie Golden: Hm, trying not to spoil…l do get to bring back a character I’ve previously written, so that was a great deal of fun. And there will be at least one other person that many will recognize. Another thing that was fun to do was to create the character of Iden’s mother. I so loved the Imperial propaganda art that’s been done I decided to make Zeehay Versio one of the artists.
    [​IMG]
    StarWars.com: Many Star Wars stories bring together the team of misfits and rogues, while Inferno Squad is perhaps a little different — these are the best of the best, loyal, and disciplined. What is it like writing with this type of team, and how do they react when things don’t go as planned?
    Christie Golden: That’s a great question! I think the initial thought is how do you go “up” from being the top already? I think the answer is, take them out of their element. We set up that they have been put together for one purpose, and we get to see them in action doing just that. But the main storyline of the book puts this team in a different role — undercover, where many of their skills aren’t utilized, or if they are, in different ways. And where they have to think on their feet even more than usual. The mark of excellence isn’t how you execute plan A — it’s how you come up with plan C on the fly and execute that plan.
    StarWars.com: Giving the squad its missions is Admiral Garrick Versio, who is Iden’s father. What’s he like and how does that shape his relationship with Iden?
    Christie Golden: Garrick Versio is a very cold, very hard man. He does not tolerate failure or weakness — not in himself, not in those who serve beneath him. And this goes double for his daughter. Their relationship is formal, unemotional, and based on how well Iden does. It’s the opposite of nepotism. And while we’ll get to see what that does to Iden on one level, on another, it certainly has made her truly the best of the best.
    StarWars.com: With Inferno Squad’s focus on Imperial protagonists, describe writing from the point of view of loyal soldiers of the Empire while recognizing that in the larger Star Wars story, the Empire is the side of the villains.
    Christie Golden: The way we made this work is by pitting these people — who were born into this life, who are still very young and haven’t really seen much of the universe beyond what the Empire wants them to see — against the Dreamers, the last remnants of the Partisans; rebels who are just as single-minded of purpose, and as cold and ruthless, as anyone in the Empire. We start off with our team and, hopefully, learn to like them, and when they face the Dreamers, they’re the good guys. Or are they? Things start getting suddenly very gray for a team that’s used to only black and white.
    StarWars.com: As a veteran Star Wars author, how did writing Battlefront II: Inferno Squad, with its focus on the ordinary (or maybe extraordinary) fighters, compare with earlier works that used more well-established characters?
    Christie Golden: While of course it’s absolutely wonderful to work with the beloved, familiar characters, it’s also great to get your grabby little hands on — I mean, ah, to be able to break new ground and help introduce the beloved, familiar characters of the future. All characters are unique individuals. You just have to get to know them and be able to show readers just how unique they are.

http://www.starwars.com/news/meet-the-empires-best-christie-golden-on-battlefront-ii-inferno-squad

AusStig likes this.
  5. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Just finished it. Very good. Much better than Dark Disciple. Hats off to Mrs Christie!!!

AusStig likes this.
  6. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015

Irritating, but I understand that it is fully driven by the marketing.

I wish they could have just named the book Inferno Squad and then let the marketing collateral brand it as BFII, but then casual book buyer may not know that it ties to Battlefront II.

Not that it will matter in 2 years when no one is playing BFII anymore and all reason for cross branding ceases.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

SWpants and LelalMekha like this.
  7. Diego Lucas

Dec 12, 2015
    Spoilers also here

8. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

So Lux may still be alive? That might clear the way for his addition to post-ANH media :)

Sinrebirth likes this.
  9. Diego Lucas

Dec 12, 2015
    7 REASONS IDEN VERSIO RULES IN BATTLEFRONT II: INFERNO SQUAD

THE LEADER OF THE EMPIRE'S ELITE STRIKE TEAM IS A MAJOR NEW FORCE IN THE STAR WARS UNIVERSE.

Iden Versio and Inferno Squad will take center stage in Battlefront II when the game arrives in November, but you don’t have to wait until then to learn more about her and the special forces group she leads. Battlefront II: Inferno Squad, the prequel novel by Christie Golden, is available now and delves into the beginnings of Inferno Squad in the weeks after the Battle of Yavin. The elite group is comprised of four members, all in possession of exceptional abilities — especially Iden Versio. These are just a few of the reasons why she stands out.
    Spoiler warning: This article discusses major plot details for Battlefront II:Inferno Squad!
    [​IMG]
    1. Rising on merit.
    With a father in a powerful position within the Empire — Inspector General in the Imperial Security Bureau, to be precise — Iden devoted herself to climbing to the top of the pile on her own merit. She worked harder and practiced more to ensure any advancement was due to her efforts, not because of favoritism. Other students still credited Garrick Versio’s role for Iden’s success, but she fought for every opportunity or win despite her father’s title.
    Iden didn’t bow under the pressure. She pushed herself and earned her place in the Empire and in Inferno Squad.
    [​IMG]
    2. A will to survive.
    When the Death Star was destroyed in the Battle of Yavin, most Imperials serving on the battle station were eliminated, too. Darth Vader was an exception. So was Iden. She was piloting a TIE fighter. Though it was damaged in the fight, she got to the surface of Yavin 4 in one piece. In order to survive, she remained calm and quickly processed that the impossible had become the possible.
    Then she made a splint from the debris of her crash landing, schlepped through the jungle, took out a rebel, and stole a cargo ship to fly into Imperial territory. No big deal, right? It’s more impressive when you realize she didn’t have much experience with the outdoors.
    3. Special forces.
    Iden’s resume and experience landed her an invitation to join Inferno Squad, an elite special force tasked with stopping Imperial leaks before they happened. Born from the traitorous actions of Galen Erso and the loss of the Death Star, Inferno Squad’s overarching mission was to prevent the selling of secrets and information from within, sometimes at a painful cost. That she was asked to be part of the group says much about her talents and character.
    4. Master planner.
    When Garrick pulled together the four members of Inferno Squad, he tested them in order to discern who would be the best leader. Each recruit had to put together a mission plan, and Iden received top marks and scored the leadership position. Rather than rely on only her specific skill set and knowledge, she looked at the bigger picture and incorporated the specialties of everyone on the team. The result was a well-rounded plan with the highest likelihood of success. Being an architect behind covert operations is no small feat.
    [​IMG]
    5. Unwavering devotion.
    From the perspective of Iden and other Imperials, the Rebel Alliance’s action against the Death Star was a terrorist attack. She thinks the treason of the rebels was enough of a reason to eliminate Alderaan. She grew up on Vardos, an Imperial world. All of this is to say, Iden knows her beliefs well and is one thousand percent loyal to the Empire and its objectives. She thinks the Imperial way is the best path to a peaceful galaxy.
    Though she’s put in positions that show the ugliness of the Empire, she’s also witness to the horrifying actions of partisan extremists on the rebel side. The latter only serves to reinforce Iden’s commitment to her convictions.
    6. Room for improvement.
    One of Iden’s strengths is her ability to examine a scenario from an objective perspective. She is occasionally swayed by emotion, but for the most part, she can assess what went right and wrong on a mission — particularly when it comes to herself. Iden’s father taught her to be humble, and she took the advice. She can recognize her accomplishments without being arrogant about them, and at the same time, she can see when she’s taken a misstep in a sort of calculating, logical way and takes steps to course correct to avoid repeating the mistakes in the future.
    [​IMG]
    7. Knowing when to compromise.
    In a military organization like the Empire, the black-and-white rules often don’t leave room for interpretation. Rigidity is especially important for a special forces group. Inferno Squad is sent into situations that put more than only their lives at stake; they need to have protocols in place so they can easily make a call in the midst of an intense assignment. But at the same time, independent thought and compromise is important, and Iden demonstrated an understanding of compromise in Inferno Squad.
    Instead of killing the Mentor or turning him over to the Empire, after the mission was complete, Iden let him live. Whether her action came from a place of compassion or knowing he wouldn’t surrender more information, she made a choice her superiors probably wouldn’t have supported. That willingness to play outside the rule book makes Iden even more of a force to be reckoned with.

AusStig and SWpants like this.
  10. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Just finished. Damn... this book was dark. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'm eager to see the continued development of Inferno Squad.

Great use of Lux. Fascinating to see how he has developed since the Clone Wars. It will be interesting to see where his story might go from here.

I like how Iden and Del ended up closer over the book while she and Hask drifted apart. I think that will play into the story of BFII.

Speaking of Hask, I hope he dies painfully. He and Nash Windrider would probably get along famously.

cdgodin, AusStig and Sinrebirth like this.
  11. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Did anyone catch

That Meeko served in the Implacable? i.e., Admiral Trigit's ship from the X-Wing books?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JediMara77 and Sinrebirth like this.
  12. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

She really is a great author, I am glade she stayed into the Disney Verse.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    I gotta say I loved this one

When this was announced, I assumed that it'd be another take on something like SCAR squadron from the comics (which I have no love for), but learning about Battlefront II and how this book connected definitely piqued my interest. I tag teamed the audio book and Ebook to allow for flexibility and it definitely payed off. Janina is a FANTASTIC narrator, to the point where I want her to come back for a completely unrelated novel, and Christie weaved together a really amazing book full of complex characters that I hadn't ever really seen done before, even in Star Wars.

You're looking at a group that can totally justify the costs of Alderaan. They can say why it was a bad thing for Empire and nail the sentiment but not believe a word of it. It's wild.
    These people can infiltrate a rebel cell, come to start caring for them and seeing them as human beings, and then turn around and cause its self destruction, and finish it off with MURDER. All for the glory of the empire.

And yet, these are real people who have real emotions and crap to deal with. Iden's relationship with her mom plays as painfully raw, and even though you see her death coming from about 10 miles away, you still feel for her. You feel for the group when they lose Seyn, you love seeing their interactions with each other and seeing them grow together. Golden has walked a fine line where you can see a group of imperials as more than mustache twirlers, but still kind of repulsive people who deserve every defeat I'm sure the game will give them. My feelings on inferno squad are complex as hell, and THAT is a sign of good writing and character work.

I cannot recommend this book enough, probably in my top 4 or 5, I might need to let it settle a bit more, but reading this book is SO worth the experience, even if you don't plan on getting within 10 feet of BattlefrontII

14. Diego Lucas

Dec 12, 2015
  15. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Yup! The name sounded familiar to me so I googled it and was like, "hmmmmmmm."

Daneira likes this.
  16. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005

Anyone else think of Star Wars: Bounty Hunter whenever they read Meeko's name?

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I was thinking that about Meeko last night when I started the book.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  18. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    You seem to be able to see into the future. Thousands of people still play BF2015, and with BF2 having free DLC and seasons, it's longevity is cemented.

19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, this particular case of naming was doomed to be unfortunate no matter what because of the original EA Battlefront having no story whatsoever.

LelalMekha and tatooinesandworm like this.
  20. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    Two years from now, BF3 will be out..

Once BF2 hits say goodbye to BF1 players.

21. SensationalSean

Dec 19, 2014
    The branding makes sense with BF2, since it ties directly with the game's campaign. I agree that BF1 will become irrelevant when BF2 hits, but BF3 won't have the campaign - so 2 will have a bit more mileage.

22. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    BF3 could be set during the Clone Wars between Geonosis and Christophsis. Cody and Rex mentioned Tibrin so imagine following one character (Obi-Wan, Anakin, Cody, Rex etc.) fighting at the Battle of Tibrin. Or do Siege of Mandalore.

23. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    The Horror of having the BF3 tie in book on the book shelf before ANH is already making me irritated.

24. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    Where was it announced BF3 would have no story/campaign? They are probably already working on it, so they should have plenty of time.

25. SensationalSean

Dec 19, 2014
    Sorry, I should have been clearer - it won't have the same campaign as BF2! Given the positive reaction to the announcement of a campaign, it's almost guaranteed that we'll get one in 3.