main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Inferno Squad

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Feb 17, 2017.

1. CloneWarBrent

CloneWarBrent Jedi Master

May 25, 2005
    I saw the title and the blurb that it was a direct tie-in to Rogue One, and I was immediately excited. And then I read about how it will focus on hunting down Saw's partisan fighters... why them? Hope it turns out to be great, but I went from instant excitement to instant lukewarm.

Darkslayer likes this.
  2. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    dark disciple was trash contradicted the movies so many times. and made anakin/obi wan/yoda look weak for a crappy character.

when reading about it i did get imperial commando 2 vibes from it (damn i wish they continued that series) willing to give golden another chance and see how she does this time but im not expecting much

spicer likes this.
  3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Probably because the Marvel comics are already covering what is happening with the major players of the after effects of the Death Star destruction.

4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I personally didn't mind that at all, because I found the Ryloth rebels to be very engaging characters. Cham in particular is one of my favorites.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

[​IMG]

6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Right, but even glassing the planet clearly didn't wipe the partisans out.

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Everyone at the time of R1: The Partisans are an exciting concept; Rebels who aren't good guys!

Everyone now: Partisans? Meh.

8-}

8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'll definitely pick up this book. I'm surprised that they focused on Saw's Partisans. I was under the impression that his rebel cell was already whittled down to bare bones at the start of Rogue One. Post-RO, what is left? I assume that the Jedha cell wasn't the entirety of his faction, unless we suppose that this story is focused on tracking down the handful of potential survivors. Either way, it seems that these remaining Partisans don't fold into the mainline Alliance post-Scarif/Yavin.

--Adm. Nick

9. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Guess we will find out that the Partisans were a very large group and the ones we saw in the movie was just a very small portion of them.

10. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Yeah I thought the same about these partisans, and that they were destroyed on Jedha completly. No idea where they are now though. I wonder if some of them participated in the battle of Scarif.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Did the Rogue One novel say if there were more Partisans across the galaxy or not?

12. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I think Saw mentions that his lieutenants know where their next rendezvous is, so that they can keep fighting. I'm fairly sure that the only casualty the Partisans suffered on Jedha was Saw. All the others are nowhere to be seen when the main cast leave, so I assume they got on their ships and fled.

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Hmm. Good to know. Really need to read the novel.

14. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I told you guys that the new canon novels was not going to be as aggressive with the OT characters like the ones from legends. This is about the side characters and stuff like that. The idea is to tell stories but nothing that contradicts anything coming out in movies or animation. Those arenas will have the bigger stories. Comic books will tell some but trust me, they are nothing compared to what has been told in legends. Still, I can't wait for this book as it has an Imperial Commando gist to it. Now its the Empire's turn to do there thing.

15. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    when the rebel troopers landed on the beach they yelled for Jedha. Maybe a few were actually partisans who had arrived at Yavin IV offscreen? Or wherever the fleet was assembled. But I guess they die anyway.

16. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, we see at least one X-wing outside the hideout, and they're running toward it before Jyn and co. even leave, so I'm sure they had plenty of time.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    All right, this is... sort of headed in the direction I've long wanted, but... we'll see. Not sure yet. Of course, it's another story more focused on special ops/covert ops kind of stuff, but I'll try to give it a chance even if it's not quite what I want. I'd love a pure Stormtrooper story; the HoJ bits of Allegiance and Choices of One weren't quite it, either, since they were rogue troopers.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    GOOD.

Leaning on the Big Three is exceedingly timid and I'm glad that publishing isn't doing that.

19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, everyone complained in the pre-reboot days that all we got was Big Three stuff. Now it's common to see people complain that we don't get enough Big Three stuff and I'm like...what?

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The nature of fandom.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Also in the pre-reboot days, we didn't get Ars Dangor in novels. Now we have Ars Dangor in two books.

I'd say things are working out great.

Taalcon, jSarek, IG_2000 and 7 others like this.
  22. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Wrong, in the pre-boot days we got the big three in situations that weren't consistent, now in new canon things are more stream lined and yes less of them in novels and more in animation and movies, with live tv series is better.

23. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    How is he wrong? You're assuming we're getting the big three in movies and animation, when they've been very conservative with showing them off. I like the nucanon's way of handling things.

24. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I'm not a fan of Saws extremists being the enemy here. Doing so creates a evil vs evil situation. It also feels like it's taking the safe route. By making the enemy this dark offshoot of the rebellion, they get less sympathy from us. I would argue if the extremists are wiped out, this squad would actually be doing the rebellion a favor. After all these dark rebels are not helping the rebellion image. So I would prefer if this book was about the squad attacking the actual Rebel Alliance. Sure it would result in the squad killing good people and helping Space Nazis, but it would fit better with the theme of Empire vs Rebellion.

DurararaFTW and Riven_JTAC like this.
  25. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    I definitely hold the opinion that more Big Three novels would be good. Back in the 90's era, the Big Three stories were very bold and large scope. In later times just before the pre-boot, they were more mild. Between the two it's just a matter of preference, but now not only do we not have the Big Three in most novels, but the scope of the stories are all also small. Even Aftermath was small scope. (Life Debt was a little bigger sure, but that's only one.) I would like one of the two at least. A larger scope story, or a Big Three novel. These books are always small scope and contained minor characters. Don't get me wrong, I like them, I just want some variation.

I think everybody is itching for the Luke's New Jedi Order story. I know they don't want to rebrand whats been done before (KJA) but in TFA they showed that Luke had basically established a New Jedi Order.

That is a huge deal! We know nothing about it! In the 90's that story would be the flagship book series. The rise of the First Order? HUGE! I understand they might be withholding these stories as to not spoil episodes 8 and 9, and if so then I can be patient. But I am very eager for those stories.

In the mean time, I would rather one of two things. Some larger scope stories, or a couple Big Three stories.

For Inferno, it seems to be another story of characters we don't know, in a small scope setting. Really though, I'm still excited for it. Seems awesome and I think Golden will do a fine job now that she isn't tied to some hardly finished TCW scripts.