main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Inferno Squad

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Feb 17, 2017.

1. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I don't need to read a book about bad people killing innocent Rebels. That doesn't sound like a fun read. I think the decision to make the adversaries Saw Gerrera's Partisans is really neat.

2. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    About time we get some Imperial POV.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Huh? What have you not been reading? There's been a good amount of that in the new stuff.

4. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I've noticed that myself.

Frankly I love that their focusing less on the big three and more on side characters. I mean some of the best Star Wars stories had nothing to do with the main movie characters (KOTOR for example).

J_K_DART and Revanfan1 like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    To be honest, anyone complaining there was too much Big 3 stuff pre-reboot clearly wasn't looking too hard, for there was a good amount of it, more comics than books arguably, but it was there.

For me, both are needed, neglect either and SW is the poorer.

6. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    There are differences though- when people were complaining about too much Big3 in the old EU, they had already been the focus for a while and a number of interesting side characters had been developed (e.g. Jaina) that people wanted to see more from. In the new EU, those characters didn't exist. It's hard to draw fans to new characters without introducing them alongside old characters that people are already invested in. Take Aphra for example: she's a cool character that was introduced in the Darth Vader series. People were reading the Darth Vader series because they are invested in Darth Vader and then said "Hey, this Aphra character is pretty cool- I'm going to go read this series about her." Whereas in, say, Aftermath, there really wasn't that hook to get fans invested. They need to use the Big3 to reintroduce fans to the universe.

Negotiator1138 likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just as long as we don't have stories with the Big 3 saving the day every year 40 + years after the OT. It was exhausting by FOTJ reading about them.

They can star, but Rey, Finn, Poe, Ben, Snap, Jessika Pava, Kaydel Ko Connix, etc. should do the heavy-lifting.

8. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Exactly. I think that this is probably the most risk they'll accept with an Empire-based book.

J_K_DART likes this.
  9. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
  10. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    I hope there's a few Twilight Company references.

11. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Anyone wonder if Inferno squad will have a cool fire-based tag line to go with them.

"If we burn, the rebellion burns with us!"

vncredleader, Daneira and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You're fired.

13. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Me, I don't mind some novels with the big 3 or the big 8, or whatever they include in them, because now, all the stuff is canon. Back then, it wasn't and some of the stories went a bit hokey. Now, with the story group, we aren't going to get a book that's going to go against the grain. Marvel has done great telling stories with the Avenger characters and DC with the Justice League, so star wars should not be different. In fact, Dark Horse's last 20 issue Star Wars run that had the big three were very successful, and Marvel is done the same. So occasionally it isn't bad to have a big three story. As long as it is well done and is canon.

J_K_DART likes this.
  14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  15. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yes please.

16. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe we'll see the Inferno Squad in Battlefront 2's campaign ? :confused:
    I can see the novel ending with them having dismantled the Partisans and the High Commands contacts them and tells them that there is still work to do and more Rebels to kill.

''TO BE CONTINUED IN BATTLEFRONT 2''

Would be awesome to read about these guys and then play as them just a few months later :D

17. Sluice Friggins

Sluice Friggins Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 23, 2015
    So young readers get Guardians of the Whills and Rebel Rising, will probably be introduced to the Partisans, only to read Inferno and see them die horrible deaths through Imperial eyes.

Darkslayer and vncredleader like this.
  18. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Not to hot about the author they've chosen but I'm willing to give her a shot since the subject matter does interest me.

19. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

Not sure if that placeholder was intended to be "Battlefront II" as in "Tie-in To The Sequel to Battlefront I" or rather, "Second Battlefront Themed Novel" (with Twilight Company being Battlefront I)"

Or both :p

20. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Serves them right for seeing terrorists as heroes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DurararaFTW and Sluice Friggins like this.
  21. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
  22. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016

I don't think there are "innocent" Rebels. I mean they're rebels. Rebels fight against the empire. It's not like they're protestants who fight against animal abuse.

vncredleader, J_K_DART and Daneira like this.
  23. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    Yes I agree with Dark Eagle!

I think introducing new side characters is best done with established characters, like the Big3. Most every character I loved the the Post ROTJ EU was intially a side character of a Big3 story or a story with an already established main character. They don't always have to do this, but I think it would be good practice.

Kyle Katarn is an exception, I love that character and he started out on his own I believe. If they can make incredible characters then they wouldn't have to rely on established characters.

I can't even name most of the new characters we've gotten, even though I've liked a fair few of them. The protag for Twilight Company was awesome, he was a very good character I thought.

Darkslayer likes this.
  24. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I wouldn't be so sure.. :p
    [​IMG]

25. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah this is a war. No matter who is right neither side is innocent. I do get the argument though, I dislike seeing people I see as heroes getting slaughtered by characters who are immoral. You can run the risk of glorifying or glamorizing it cause how BA the Inferno Squad is. I really hope they do get put in their place by the end. Morrof solo's everyone with his bare hands.