main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Insider short fiction -- Use other thread for JtTFA shorts!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Apr 22, 2015.

1. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Uh... what else has Sloane appeared in...? If I am reading peoples' posts right, there is more than what I just read a few hours ago in Insider...

Anyway...

I thought this was a pretty good story; better than what we've seen recently. Definitely liked Baylo's character the most. Good try, but it didn't work. I like that he stood up to Vader and the Emperor. He paid for it with his life, but he played a good game. Just faced too powerful of opponents.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Hamawald

Hamawald Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2014
    Sloane is in A New Dawn and I guess we can thank JJM for using his own character again.

3. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Ah, right. My bad.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    A note for UK subscribers - post lady brought #157 today.

5. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Yep! received mine today, cant wait to read it. I have just started Lords of the Sith. if I want to read this moment in the saga chronologically, at what point should I stop sith and start with orientation before going back to sith?

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Lords of the Sith is next on my reading list as well. I'll probably read Insider first though.

7. Joe Kalicki

Joe Kalicki Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2014
    I loved this story. I'm happy to see great characters like Sloane aren't just one-offs.

8. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015

I haven't finished LotS yet, but so far it looks almost completely independent of Orientation. I think Orientation comes first, but I don't know why I think that.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's referred to as a tie-in - I think at one point (maybe in a JJM interview?) it was stated that it takes place "on the way to Ryloth".

It's interesting to see the Vice Admiral rank be referenced. I wonder if the whole ranking system as in the EU will be kept - so - when we see a character in Rebels, we can deduce his rank from his cylinders and chest plack.

Jedi Knight Fett and spicer like this.
  10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Orientation occurs during the nine day gap between chapters four and five of LotS, so if you're going chronologically that's the point where you'd want to read Orientation. Chapter five makes a very brief reference to the events of the story.

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I thought the story was pretty good.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    4 admirals - each heads of separate departments of the Navy - all being summoned to a meeting - makes me wonder what those departments are, and what that meeting was about.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    thanks a lot for that TPF!! looking forward to reading this !

The Positive Fan likes this.
  14. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    It's a really excellent story. I'm about halfway through LotS so far,and enjoying that quite a bit as well.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Finally got around to reading this. I don't usually bother to read the Insider (though perhaps I should start reading the short stories at least), but as a JJM story, that was extra incentive, and of course it was another excellent story.

Not sure if JJM has written Vader before (well, I think he wrote that Empire comic before, the one with that Star Destroyer gunner?) so it was a nice look into Vader's personality at the time. Sloane cameo and other references (Admirals and such). Was that a Denon reference too? Its just a name at the moment, but nice to see references to old EU. Still not really interested in reading the recent Sith book, but maybe I'll get around to it someday. Just that short stories like these are easier and faster to go through. Glad to see JJM still writing, hope he writes more Star Wars in the future (though his Trek book wasn't bad either).

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Yes, I really enjoyed the short story. So far in the New canon which is the only stuff ive read, JJM is certainly ahead with the adult novels. I liked the Sloane cameo and with the accompanying artwork helped bring her to life.

Now - onwards to the new Lando short story!

Hamawald and Iron_lord like this.
  17. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Jedi-Bibliothek has the good word on the next few months of short stories in the Insider.
    • #158 was previously announced as a Lando story, but this report also makes it a Rebels story by Michael Kogge, so it looks like it'll be a sequel to Idiot's Array!
    • #159 is an Asajj Ventress story by Christie Golden
    • #160 is a new Blade Squadron story by Mark and David Williams
    EDIT: It just occurred to me that depending on when issue #160 is released, the Blade Squadron story might edge out Aftermath to be the actual first post-ROTJ story (assuming it follows up events from the story in 149-150 and isn't a prequel).

AdmiralNick22 , Revanfan1 and spicer like this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, those shorts were mentioned during the Insider panel at SWCA. The continuing Blade Squadron stories are very much intended to tie right into Aftermath.

StoryWorthTelling likes this.
  19. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014

Yeah! Woohoo! Thought I saw the best with JJM, but Star Wars Insider 1-year subscription's still paying for itself!

20. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I love JJ, but I actually didn't like this tale. It put Palpatine in a position of weakness, and not sensing about to be plunged into Christophsis's sun is just idk lame of him. Gentis , from Ghost Prison was a much better attempted usurper than Baylo. And what's with his spine? They don't have the technology to fix it?

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    He couldn't sense danger over the sound of Rae Sloane being awesome. :)

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  23. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Her War of the Seasons books are compelling YA fantasy, if that's something you enjoy.

Other than that, she's a pretty awesome person, and is a longtime Star Wars fan. And she's a Marine, so she knows a thing or two about military.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    First the lady soccer people, now female marines writing military fiction? Where will it end??

DelRiego likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I have to say that all the excitement I'm seeing on Twitter makes me want to check those out. I've been reading a lot of YA lately anyway, there's a lot of good stuff out there.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.