main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Insider short fiction -- Use other thread for JtTFA shorts!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Apr 22, 2015.

1. lowell

lowell Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 11, 2014
    Anybody going to read the Rise of the Empire bind-up? There are three short stories and it'll go past eras and tie-in somehow with Aftermath and the Force Awakens with insight on the powers of the Empire. I heard one of the short stories is about Rae Sloane.

2. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Yes, albeit reluctantly to purchase 2 books I already have for three short stories, which may or may not be released in Insider at some point in the future. It wont be a day 1 purchase however, may even bung it on the christmas list so I myself dont have to personally buy it

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I will read anything and everything about RAE SLOANE (as evidenced by the autocorrect on my phone).

Two of the writers are JJM and Jason Fry, and anything they produce is awesome, so there's that. Having Jason write JJM's Sloane reminds me of the cool Bantam days where Stackpole and Zahn shared characters, so that's a bonus. I'm also really enjoying all the new faces writing SW these days, and look forward to see Melissa Scott's entry.

So to answer your question: yes. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

4. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I'd love to find out that those stories will be printed in Insider, but I really expect that not to happen until I buy the bind-up. I hate that they're doing this, and it feels like a cash-grab, but I'll be buying this, probably day one, too.

5. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Anybody know any(Legal) way to read the old insider fiction? I only started buying insider when last call at the zero angle was released. I want to hear about blade Squadron!(They brought star destroyer Devastator into canon) What did you guys think of the Lando story? I like the way it links in with Seige of Lothal by explaining where Lando was and mentions W1-LE. also SABACC.

6. StoryWorthTelling

Jan 8, 2015

You can buy issues on titan's website. You should be able to get back issues and subscribe to future issues there. Now, if you're looking for free, that's a different problem.

7. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    The only way to get the stories legally I assume is to order back orders of Insider. You will need issues, 149 (125 it is randomly marked) and 150 for Blade Squadron, 151 for End of History, and then 154 onwards.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I hope someday we'll get a collection of these, but Del Rey has pointed out that the only way to get them in print would be to eat up a novel slot in the publishing calendar... and nobody wants that.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  10. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    It's very disappointing to find out I can't get the short stories without subscribing to Insider, ordering back issues, or buying two books I already own...was really hoping we'd see a collection book come out eventually...[face_sigh]

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Retroactively saying a novel you didn't like could've been replaced doesn't count :p

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Hondo is in the Star Wars Insider 159 short story :D which otherwise is very bland indeed.

13. StoryWorthTelling

Jan 8, 2015
    Hmm. That's not good news....

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hondo is in a story? Alright!

15. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Perfect for an ebook exclusive, then! :)

Taalcon likes this.
  16. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    [​IMG]

Okay but seriously whose idea was Dark Disciple because this now makes two awesome criminal-type women who are gay for Asajj.

Gorefiend likes this.
  17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Lucas the Younger [face_sigh]

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I was under the impression the plot was more George than Katie, myself.

19. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I don't think Katie Lucas had anything to do with Kindred Spirits, so this is all on Christie Golden. I'm also glad I was not the only one who noticed this.

I enjoyed Kindred Spirits a lot more than I thought I would. A fun little story that ties rather nicely into Dark Disciple. Hondo was a lot less annoying than usual as well.

20. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    The other one is, of course:
    [​IMG]

I mean "You'd have my company! ;)" It really doesn't get less subtle that that.

All the stuff with Quinlan Vos definitely supports the idea that it was George.

21. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    So I'm not the only one who thought Lassa was totally hitting on Asajj! Good! There's always the possibility that I'm projecting in cases like this. Oh well. If Asajj doesn't want Lassa Rhayme's company, I'm happy to fill in...

Gorefiend and my kind of scum like this.
  22. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    It was alright. Not really memorable.

23. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Looking forward to Blade Squadron Part 3

24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    So I figured this thread was the right place for this: Blade Squadron Part 1 is now up on starwars.com, with Part 2 promised for "early next month"!

I suggest you all read it while you can, since starwars.com is not exactly good at preserving things very long.

25. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    It's awesome that this is being released online. I've always really liked some of the stuff to come out of Insider, but I just haven't been able to justify spending the money on the whole magazine each time when there are only a handful of sections that interest me. I'm really, really, really hoping that this is part of a trend towards putting up Insider short fiction a few months after publication, and not just a one-off thing because Blade Squadron is getting a sequel. [face_praying]