main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Insider short fiction -- Use other thread for JtTFA shorts!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Apr 22, 2015.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Since this is increasingly looking like an ongoing thing, it should have its own thread. There's a thread for "End of History" and Jason fry's story is discussed in his author thread, but given the connections with the ongoing story let's have a central place for these. Later, I'll edit in a list of existing short stories in the NEU canon starting with Blade Squadron and going towards the latest story.

The current latest story is JJM's "Orientation," which may be my favorite to date. It covers stuff from Warfare, like the Academy system and the old-style navy, and it features an excellent characterization of Vader and the Emperor. It's ostensibly a lead-in to LotS but it works great as a standalone and it characterizes the two Sith better in less page time, too.

Personal interests:

love the naval trainer guy -- he's an Old Republic type that's a little out of date, and I love his interaction with the New Order. He reads like WEG's Retired Imperial Captain template. I'm particularly fond of old school generational types chafing with the new regime, so he's fun.

As mentioned in the Diversity thread, there is brief mention of four naval chiefs meeting with the Emperor. Three of those admirals are female. Insignificant to the plot and before too long we won't even notice these things, but it's still noteworthy now since they're the first female admirals we've seen in the NEU.

Lastly, RAE SLOANE. I could write a paragraph on why it's awesome to see her again, but everybody already knows. She's my favorite new canon character so far. We also get awesome new art of her (very well-illustrated story in general). I reiterate my hope that she's the Pellaeon of the NEU (in the sense of appearing all the time, not in the sense of being a miserable failure).

Do yourself a favor and read "Orientation."

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Update: TOS may start to put these up for free, so I'm going to start keeping the links on the opening post so we have an easy way to find them.

http://www.starwars.com/news/blade-squadron-part-one]Blade[/url] Squadron: Part One

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Also loved it, but then to be expected from JJM :), who really never disappoints with just using the setting in different ways and populating it with interesting characters.

What? :confused:

4. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I think Orientation's the best of the short stories I've read in Insider in the new canon. I liked seeing Sloane, I mostly enjoyed seeing Vader and Sidious' working relationship. It was really intriguing.

This is a great idea for a thread. Insider said that every issue going forward will have a short story. I've heard that Blade Squadron will be returning as well.

I thought the naval trainer was a good character. His motivation is still very GAR, and it's good to see someone in the Empire who isn't very Imperial.

5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I added a link. :p

6. StoryWorthTelling

Jan 8, 2015
  7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The point was, if we're starting to combine recurring stuff in lieu of separate threads...but I digress. I don't have the newest Insider yet but this story makes me really anxious to rectify that. I've been meaning to start up a digital subscription this year but it's hard to motivate myself to put ~$50 into it.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Yep, the short stories are always really nice but the rest of the content tends to fall short of the asking price.

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah; word-for-word the short stories are by far the most expensive SW fiction being produced--even if you ignore the 2-4 issues per year that just have novel excerpts.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm using a single thread for the same reason your TOS Blog thread is a single thread, Coop -- there aren't enough of these and enough people reading them to warrant separate threads. I figure a single thread gets more discussion going.

Yeah, he's cool. We get the good Imperial type often enough (Sloane's one of them) but the pre-Empire character who carries duty over politics is rarer. He's much more interesting than his Ghost Prison analog. I especially like his ruminations on politics and his observation about the virtue of order in the military being a vice in civilian life.

JJM's scholarly background is showing and it's always great to see.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  11. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Hope this story is included with Lords Of The Sith.....if not then they should release an omnibus collection of short stories for those of us who miss them.

12. StoryWorthTelling

Jan 8, 2015

I could definitely see this make it into the paperback. It seems tied to it enough. Otherwise, I'd like to see them put these stories online at some point. They're not all great, but they are canon and therefore important, right? Everyone should get access to them.

Iron_lord and SilentGuy66 like this.
  13. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    This is why I'm actually considering a purchase of that Rise of the Empire omnibus coming out in September, the one with AND and Tarkin along with three new short stories, despite it being a pretty obvious and brazen cash grab. The way I figure it, for $15 I'm basically getting three stories' worth of new content, and since I'm already willing to pay $7.99 for a short story when I buy the Insider, at $5 per story I'm getting a bargain. (That $7.99 admittedly does buy me the additional content in the rest of the Insider, but I'm pretty much just there for the story.)

CooperTFN likes this.
  14. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I'm looking to buy that as well, if only so I'd have an actual physical copy of AND to peruse from time to time.

15. Hamawald

Hamawald Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2014
    A very good story indeed and I loved the inclusion of Rae Sloane. I hope these kind of appearances of characters from elsewhere continues throughout the new canon, it really gives a sense of connectivity.

Also the next short story is about Lando:)

16. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    I loved Sloane in AND and I love her here. She's clever, competent, and ambitious. Just the kind of officer the Empire needs, from the point of view of the Empire itself, and from the point of view of the reader who needs to believe they've controlled the galaxy for decades.

Gorefiend and Cracian_Thumper like this.
  17. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Wait a second how did people have orientation in april?.....isnt that in the may issue?

18. Hamawald

Hamawald Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2014
    The US version was released on April 22, the UK a while later. Subscribers often receive their issues a few days earlier so most people will have gotten the issue now.

19. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    So basically Rae Sloane saved the Empire I am supportive of this.

20. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    sadly still waiting for my subscription copy of the latest Insider magazine. better have it by the time i go back to work on tuesday!

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think we UK subscribers get ours around 2 weeks after the US release.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    She is my heroine. She should get the Emperor's Will; that's the decoration for personally saving the Emperor's life.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

23. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014

I had better get it soon, first time in my life ive subscribed to a magazine, so naturally suspicious about delivery. saying that i never actually saw the last edition of insider in the normal outlets. the insider webpage is also woefully out of date too, which doesnt help my concerns

24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    WH Smiths usually has it here in the UK. That's where I'd look if I wasn't a subscriber. They do sell out of it though.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The best short story in the NEU so far, although every single one has been excellent so far. Reaching and surpassing the heights of the Adventure Journal short fiction!

Vthuil likes this.