main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

STAR WARS is dying.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Ree Yees, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Many thought STAR WARS to be dead a few years after 'Return of the Jedi', when interest limited itself to diehard fans. The glorious resurrection began with Timothy Zahn's trilogy of novels, and the following anticipation for the Special Editions, and then, the tremendous build-up to the prequel trilogy.

This time, STAR WARS will die. There will be no new films to hope for, and interest will once again dwindle down to diehard fans.

Only...

Many diehard fans are extremely dissapointed with the Special Editions and especially the prequels, so they will no longer take part in this core group of diehard fans, quickening the extinction of the franchise and saga.

Fans are already saying they have no interest whatsoever in "Episode 3", that there is no hope for redemption. They will probably watch it in the cinema once or maybe twice, but Lucasfilm will never again see the days when fans stood in line for weeks, and watched the films over and over again.

It's perhaps difficult to see this when frequenting a messageboard where many of the prequel fans reside, but out there in the real world, we all know the sad fact...

...STAR WARS is dying.

To think that it could have soared above and beyond expectations, forever leaving a powerful impression on us.

2. TheDarkSkull

TheDarkSkull Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    The hype is as big as ever, and dispite the "hardcore" fans the public loves Star Wars. Trust me everyone in my town couldn't stop talking about AOTC a week after it came out. After Episode 3 it will slow in hype and power, it goes for all films, with the "Ultimate" editions coming out ect but I truely doubt people will forget or stop buying Star Wars. It's done too many things to the indurstry of film and has spanned 30 something years.

3. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    The core group may wax and wane but it will never go away. There are new fans being created everyday and I don't forsee that changing any time soon.

4. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Can you account for the fact the Star Wars toys were the #1 sellers this past year, even beating out such overly hyped trends as Harry Potter and Spider-Man. Can you account for the huge popularity of Star Wars video games, books, and other merchandise.

And I guess $300 million just ain't what it used to be.

The only people I hear singing this type of song are, ironically, people on a Star Wars message board.

There's a One Ring site just waiting for you to migrate there.

5. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Can you account for the fact the Star Wars toys were the #1 sellers this past year, even beating out such overly hyped trends as Harry Potter and Spider-Man.

Where? Here the stores don't even stock Star Wars items because they are expensive and/or don't sell well at all.

6. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    Some people did not like the prequels, Special Editions, etc, so Star Wars is dying? Excuse me, but many people still are dedicated fans. I for one don't really care what the public's reactions to Star Wars is anymore. Toy sales don't dictate what is still popular (even though SW toys are the best selling toys at my local TRU). If the diehard fans don't like the prequels or Special Editions, then I guess they don't have to consider themselves the fans they used to be. That is not George Lucas's fault. If there are fans who still like the saga, as many still do, then that's good for them. Lucas makes these movies the way he envisioned them, and maybe even-god forbid-to make a pretty penny now and then. If you don't like it, too bad! I'm not as cynical when it comes to Star Wars. I didn't set my expectations too too high, and I wasn't let down at all. The saga is not dying because something didn't turn out the way some people wanted after 20 years.

Also, if you don't want to experience the Star Wars movies as well as others, why are you on this board where mostly fans reside? If you don't like the prequels, tough luck. I'm going to hype them, and I'm gonna enjoy it a hell of a lot, just like I did since 1997.

7. Dagobah1234

Dagobah1234 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 28, 2002
  8. TheDarkSkull

May 12, 2002
    Well whatever the case may be, Star Wars is very popular and the only people that I've seen complain are critics and people at this board. The fact is that there is something called the casual movie go-er that is the real judge of what's popular and not. Why do you think critics were constantly telling people not to see it? Or why it made over 300 mil? Or why there are Star Wars toys being made constantly? I don't think a hardcore fan seeing it 5 times or still buying Star Wars toys made those charts ;)

9. Jack-D-Ripper

Jack-D-Ripper Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 21, 2002
    Star Wars isn't going to die. When some cynical farts decided Jedi sucked, that certainly didn't influence younger generations not to embrace ALL the original films (I know I'm one of them) and the new films will do exactly the same things for the generation that is growing up right now.

A lot of the prequel-haters are of the old guard that were the original ROTJ-haters too. (Not all, but it is a trend) Most of the friends I have that aren't particularly fans of any sci-fi genre think Star Wars is great: they don't make any distinction between prequels and originals: its all Star Wars to them, and they enjoy all the films. And that describes 90% of my friends. It describes 90% of the people I chatted with in the cinemas before and after seeing Episodes I and II: they were all there to have a good time, which is what Star Wars is for. And those are the people Lucas makes the movies for: not the "fans" that think the world owes them a favour.

The fans will damage Star Wars amongst themselves, but more easygoing movie fans will ensure Star Wars cointinues to be the last word in cinematic fun.

-JDR.

10. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Star Wars will never die. Millions of people will continue to watch the films and they will pass them on to future generations.... It will never end!
    Until something even greater is made, that is.

11. YodaYodaBinks

YodaYodaBinks Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    Star Wars is dead because Ree Yees says so.

Pity us.

12. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Star Wars is a franchise nearly thirty years old, yet it still breaks box office records and DVD records, and grosses over $300 million dollars in a year where it was pitted against big films with huge hype like Spider-Man.

And if anybody wants hardcore evidence that SW is not dead, just look at IMAX.

AOTC-IMAX grossed over $8 million dollars, quite impressive on less than 60 screens. And must we forget it went up against Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, James Bond, and even against the release of AOTC on DVD?

Hell, AOTC has been out for nearly a year, it's been out on DVD for more than two months, and yet it still grosses over $1,000 dollars on around five IMAX screens.

Yup, SW is dead [face_plain]

13. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    Ree Yees are you really a fan then because it sounds like you are ready for it to die?
    and if your town doesnt stock the toys cause they are 2 expensive? Please they are a lot cheaper then some other toys out there. And I would like to know where there is a town where the entire place deciedes not ot sell the toys.

In my own opinon I don't think it will anytime soon... as long as there are fans out there we are alive and happy....

BTW, I was in Wal-Mart one day and walking by the posters and hear this 5 yr old girl scream. I looked and watched as she starting jumping up and down and yellinh "Mommy! Look its Anakin! Its Star Wars!"

over a poster.... it was very cool!

14. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I think AOTC was downplayed and not really hyped so much. It was almost as if the whole moody 2nd episode thing was being conveyed in the real world as well.

I believe Lucasfilm should step up the hype a gear one last time for Episode III, the Last Ever Star Wars Film. TPM was hugely marketed and very very well too. They could pull that off again and make Episode III the most powerful SW experience ever (because the film may well be the best of the prequels).

After that though Mr. Yees you're quite right. Star Wars will 'die' in terms of the mainstream public, but if Episode III is good enough (and it has too much going for it not to be) then it will live on with the fans.
    I mean, look at Star Trek. It always has something new looming around the corner. That doesn't mean it is 'alive'. Only the fans bothered watching Enterprise right until the end of the first season (I watched the first couple of episodes and didn't enjoy it).

As Kurt Cobain said 'It's better to burn out than fade away' ie it's better to have 6 Star Wars films and go out with a bang than 10 films 5 syndicated TV series and so on.

Besides there will always be a new super-de-duper DVD release round the corner!

15. Dagobah1234

Dagobah1234 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    " Remember . . .the force will be with . . . . always . . ."

16. TheDarkSkull

May 12, 2002
    Vader: I find your lack of faith disturbing.

* Vader begins to force choke Ree Yees *

Mod: Vader, release him.

Vader: As you wish.

17. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Well if Star Wars is dying then Star Trek must be dead.

AOTC dometic gross 310+ million
    Star Trek Nemesis domestic gross 40+ million

18. TheDarkSkull

May 12, 2002
    If Star Wars is dying right then most films are dead.

19. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Well if Star Wars is dying I will die with it. Better to die with something you like then something you don't like.

Which brings up a very good point right know all five Star War moives are in the what top 20 highets grossing movies of all time.

Yup SW is dead I guess. Oh well I guess we shoudl must move long and go on to something else.

20. debeautimous

debeautimous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    Star Wars is not dieing. It is being reborn in a new generation of fans. It sounds like it is dieing in your heart. It will always be a classic like Gone with the Wind. This website and the expensive merchandise would not be thriving.

21. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    It's pretty damn hard for something that has no life to die. :p

22. Jedi_Master_Hammer

Jedi_Master_Hammer Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 2002
    In my opinion, if PT sucks (as it does, btw.) that does not have to mean that classic movies have to be forgotten and to die, as you say.
    Whatever some people may say, EU is quite good and most of it is worthy of 'Star Wars' name. And we will be seeing even more of that EU.
    Once the writers finish with main characthers, here we go with other, less popular: Wedge, Ackbar, Corran, Janson, Pelleaon, Needa etc... why not?

So, even if the names of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Leia Organa and others become less popular, Star Wars will live on as a universe.

23. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Damn, Ree Yees, I really hope you re-discover your love for Star Wars sometime soon because you've been on a terminal downer about it for years now :(

24. DarthKtulu

DarthKtulu Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2003
    I say bah! Star Wars dying??????? I have boys, 5 and almost 3. They love Star Wars so much that they will sit in their room and do lightsaber duals to the music. They both know the names to most of the major players in the movies. They ask me about eveything I know. And all of my 5 year olds friends love the movies to. Where do you live anyway,in the hills of West Virginia? Star Wars dead? BAH! I say.

25. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    STAR WARS is dying.

Then ESB is responsible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.