main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Join the Resistance book series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Dec 7, 2016.

1. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    [​IMG]

Join the Resistance
    Writers: Ben Acker and Ben Blacker
    Cover and Interior Art: Annie Wu
    Release date: March 7, 2017

Described as Star Wars meets The Goonies, Join the Resistance kicks off an all-new action-packed adventure series. The story follows new Resistance recruits who think they’re ready to take on the First Order, but things don’t work out exactly as they’d planned.
    “A long time ago, thanks to events in a galaxy far, far away, we thrilled to the possibilities of storytelling: epic adventure, clever, determined heroes, captivating, terrifying villains, chases, fights, banter, romance,” said Acker and Blacker, creators of the Thrilling Adventure Hour podcast. “We retold these stories and created new ones with our Star Wars toys when we were kids. It’s enormously exciting for us to get to invent and play with Star Wars toys of our own now. We hope the action-packed adventures of our fun characters captivate the audience way we were so captivated forty years ago, thirty years ago, and one year ago.”

2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    This is a weird quote. What was 30 years ago, the Ewok movies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    I like the concept a lot. Also, Zeltrons. *thumbs up*

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    As if puberty wasn't awkward enough.

As for me? Where's the Teen First Order adventures?

Barriss_Coffee and vncredleader like this.
  5. Manny Bothans

Manny Bothans Jedi Master star 1

Jun 12, 2013
    A ragtag group? Count me in.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Kylo Ren.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Kylun and Charlemagne19 like this.
  7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    A series of YA books about plucky kids joining the Resistance and learning Life Lessons along the way?

The best thing I can say about this is that whenever someone complains about how bad the old EU was due to Glove of Darth Vader, the only rebuttal needed will be to post this cover.

8. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Steve, a galaxy in which young teenagers can't be sent to risk their lives so I don't have to is a galaxy I don't want to live in.

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I would actually love to read a young Ben Solo series. It was really fun and enjoyable when they did the Young Jedi Knights and junior Jedi Knights.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No I mean he's basically a whiny teenager in TFA :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    No, no, clearly you want a young Kylo Ren series.

CaptainPeabody likes this.
  12. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I mean, kids deciding to leave the Republic and join the Resistance to fight the First Order because of the stories of the Resistance is essentially the GFFA version of western kids getting lured into going to Syria to join ISIS because of its online propaganda. If the book series is presented that way, then I will absolutely be on board and gladly place it alongside Glove of Darth Vader.

That being said, I do like Thrilling Adventure Hour, and if this was done as a story there I could well imagine them doing a satire in that fashion.

DelRiego, CaptainPeabody and cthugha like this.
  13. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    The part of me that wants to get the *complete* story of the Star Wars canon wants to read these stories, but the other part of me that wants good stories doesn't care.

I know I'm not the target audience for these books so I can't really complain.

thedarkbeckons and Sinrebirth like this.
  14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well, there was another guy who tried to join a army to fight what he perceived as evil despite being grossly underqualified.

[​IMG]

vncredleader likes this.
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The new YJK/JJK series?

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Doesn't look that interesting to me but yay for Annie Wu.

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Imagine their names as Wedge, Tycho, Wes, and Hobbie while you're reading.

Kylun and CooperTFN like this.
  18. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Much as I hate to pour cold water on Dr. Steve's fervent hopes of a colossal Jedi Prince-style failure, I'm going to put my two cents in and say, this could turn out to be really good. The guys from Thrilling Adventure Hour aren't slouches in the writing department, and Disney-Lucasfilm Press hasn't exactly become known for putting out stinkers. And how could anything with a Zeltron in it really be that bad?

In other news, a more detailed synopsis is available:
    MATTIS BANZ knows that he’s meant to be a hero of the galaxy like the legendary Luke Skywalker, and when General Leia Organa’s Resistance recruits him to join its efforts against the evil First Order, he finally has a chance to fulfill his destiny. But the rest of his squadron doesn’t seem very promising. Sure, there’s the Zeltron girl Lorica, famous for her exploits foiling evil smugglers, but there’s also the swamp boy named Dec, who seems to enjoy causing trouble; Dec’s “brother,” a droid who thinks he’s a pilot; Sari, whose imposing size contradicts her sweet nature; and Jo, the stuffy group leader with secrets. How is Mattis supposed to be the next Poe Dameron when he and his squad mates spend more time in trouble than flying X-wings? The team will have to learn how to work together when the going gets tough, or they won’t be going anywhere….

19. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    YES!! Freaking Hux is the teacher, Snoke is the principle, and Phasma is the gym coach. I just imagine their version of the pledge of allegiance. If a kid steal from another they get in trouble only if the other kid is not beaten down enough and spat on. This would make for a great robot chicken sketch. The word of the day is Genocide. Quote of the day "all remaining systems will bow to the might of the First Order". Number of the day 1,205,200 (the number of Imperials killed in the DS1 explosion).

On topic though.....eh. I don't love rebels cause I feel that can be a bit to childish at times and make the drama of war seem to Saturday morning cartoon esq (It has vastly and quickly improved however). One thing I really liked about the Resistance was that they are a very very real world idea. The idea that a government does nothing so people start a paramilitary organization that is branded as a terrorist group and borders being a vigilante organization was really cool to me and felt quite like Minutemen which was so cool and added a very specific and unified purpose for the rebel like group in the ST. While I get that this is a kids book and is likely not canon or will be like pseudo canon I kinda dislike having them use kids as recruits. What works about the Resistance is that at a glance them seem very messed up. They ran away from the Republic and come off like a terrorist group headed by Vader's daughter and a bunch of conspiracy theorists. The people in the resistance are not really big public heroes or even standard role models nor do they want to be per se. They are publicly a paramilitary group and the no one knows they have Republic funding. What I love about them is that they are not the new Rebellion. They border on becoming something evil if they cross a line seeing as they don't have much holding them back. I just dislike teens running around working for them when they are essentially the minutemen who are outlaws actively waging a shady war on space ISIS.

It is for kids though so I will back off but it just makes me scratch my head a bit. I am shocked we have not done more Jedi kids books since that makes sense cause there are younglings. Last I checked paramilitary organizations don't take interns.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Not unless my theory about the next animated show is about Luke Skywalker and the Acolytes. To be fair that's just a theory though i am highly confident it will take place post ROTJ not matter what.

vncredleader likes this.
  21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm imagining that this will follow the formula of the children going off to join the Resistance only to find they aren't particularly wanted but they've made enough of a nuisance of themselves that the First Order is after them, so the Resistance is forced to let them stay at their base and help out since if they ever left, they'd be killed.

I.e. Remember what happened to Ezra and how he joined the Rebellion?

I do think the Resistance being closer to terrorists than the Rebellion is about as true as my statement the First order is just misguided, though. Which is to say, not at all.

vncredleader and Jid123Sheeve like this.
  22. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

You're a First Order guy all the way aren't yuh :p

vncredleader and Charlemagne19 like this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Evil smugglers? Finally, a story that doesn't valorize criminals!

No, but seriously, I'll definitely read this. I've really enjoyed Disney-LFL Press's middle grade stuff thus far.

MercenaryAce and vncredleader like this.
  24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Really? Cool. Have you read the Servants of the Empire stuff. How has that been?

25. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    ACKER AND BLACKER YES.