main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Kanan (Marvel) #1: The Last Padawan, part 1 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Oct 11, 2014.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

Just announced at NYCC; I'll update this post when I see more. Looks like it'll be him and Depa vs. Order 66.

It starts with O66, but is ongoing past that. Written by Greg Weisman (!) and art by Pepe Larraz. That cover looks like Mark Brooks but I can't say for certain.

Begins in April, first arc titled The Last Padawan.

Personal commentary--it's great that Weisman's continuing to be involved, but I can't imagine he'd have left the main production team just to write a comic. This may have been a compromise stemming from other matters.

2. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Yeah, that's Mark Brooks. And it's interesting to finally see the Rebels tie-in that we were all expecting -- albeit in the form of more backstory for Kanan. And, from the way the cover looks, I'm not sure if the series will take place entirely in the past or also show Kanan as he is in the present-day (Rebels).

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Color me interested! [face_dancing]

4. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    Nice, I assumed the next ongoing would be rebels related but its nice to see his since K'naan is my favorite of the ghost crew. This also opens up some more C;one Wars era stuff. So the next mini after Leia might be Ashoka.

5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It sounds like entirely the past, focusing primarily on the RotS aftermath. I think the modern Kanan on the cover is just to help people associate it with the TV character.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh this is going to be fun.

7. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Hmm. Interesting. Greg did say on Twitter that, post working on Rebels directly, he did have four other projects in the works. One, he said, would be announced at NYCC, the other later, and two are prospective ATM. Nice to see that he's sticking with the Ghost's crew in one way or another at least, and he does have a history in comics thanks to the Gargoyles work he did before.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Interesting that it looks like Depa and Kanan are fighting the 501st on Coruscant.

I've not read A New Dawn yet, so maybe this is touched upon there, but perhaps this means that Kanan is aware of Vader's identity? Or at the very least that Anakin went bad?

EDIT: I should say I'm very heartened by this series. Marvel's ANH-ESB era comics that were announced earlier didn't interest me in the slightest. This is of course a Rebels tie-in, but that's not a bad thing. It's covering new ground.

9. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Finally, this is more what I wanted from Disney's Marvel Star Wars line.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    HOT ****ING DAMN!

Sooooo excited for this.

That's not mentioned in A New Dawn so I don't know, but it would fit in with Kanan being disgruntled with his Jedi past and the entire idea of using the Force. Yes, there are other, more obvious reasons, but this could work.

cwustudent and ifleninwasawizard like this.
  11. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I misread read this as Katarn and almost.....Forced? myself. But still, I'm definitely checking this out, Greg Wiesman and Kanan FTW.

cthugha likes this.
  12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    For heaven’s sake and I thought we could finally stop getting Clone Troopers on every comic cover.

13. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Well, OK then. This isn't a premise I was dying to see (while I'm enjoying Rebels and what I've read of New Dawn so far, Kanan has yet to really "wow" me) but I'm happy to get more prequel era, and pleased that it's in the early Dark Times rather than trying to weave in between the episodes or something obvious. And it's an ongoing, so if it keeps up we'll have a chance to cover a lot of history. Cover art's pretty slick too.

I'm still optimistic enough to hope for a throwaway line that allows us to preserve Depa's exploits from Shatterpoint, but let's be realistic...

14. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Background non-speaking cameo for K'Kruhk please?

15. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    [face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing]

Well this is some awesome news. Not only are we getting more Kanan, we are getting something right after RotS. I'm pretty pumped for this. It will be great to have something ongoing that isn't right after ANH.

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Issue #1: Depa emerges from her healing statis.

"Man, I feel much better now! Time to win this war! Oh, Master Skywalker, good to see you! How is the war coming alo--"

*VVVVMMM*

17. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    They could do something clever, like have the first page show Depa wake up to find the temple under attack.

But, yeah, probably not.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Not the hugest fan of Kyle-lite but at least this looks like it'll be a lot better than the utterly, utterly awful first run of TCW tie-ins.

It had better be a death scene.

I mean, it's not K'Kruhk without the obligatory death scene, from which the Hat can cheat death.

K'Kruhk, Darth_Garak and TrandoJedi like this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And people thought we wouldn't get PT stuff anymore.

cwustudent likes this.
  20. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    So, I guess the claim that the show would never go into flashbacks or time-jumping backward seems a bit more plausible now. Both AND and this will/have covered Kanan's backstory, and presumably we'll get similar works for Hera, Sabine and Zeb (and maybe Chopper, too). Ezra doesn't really need anything, except maybe finding out whatever happened to his parents, since he's already getting the lion's share of the spotlight from the show itself. Maybe, if this is an ongoing instead of a miniseries, it'll warp into a Hera series after a while.

21. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    At first, I was really mad that Depa Billaba's entire backstory (especially her 'Shatterpoint' plotline) was erased when I picked up 'Star Wars: A New Dawn' at Comic-Con. Later I realized the author had no choice when I saw the Inquisitor mocking Kanan over his training with Billaba in a 'Rebels' clip (specifically mentioning her by name; you can watch it here: http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2014/09/its-kanan-vs-inquisitor-in-new-rebels.html -- the Inquisitor can tell Kanan trained under her by his fighting style, and Kanan is shocked the Inquisitor is familiar with her).

So the change in her backstory came straight from the top with Disney and the Rebels producers. Still not seeing where they are going with this; if they are trying to connect with the previous 'The Clone Wars' cartoon, Eeth Koth or another Jedi would be a better choice as Kanan's master as they actually showed up in the show. The ironic thing is, if Disney actually kept Billaba's Legends backstory instead of turning her into a generic Jedi with the same name it could make for a really interesting 'Rebels' plotline. Here's an example, although I know Disney will never go for this in a kid's show:

Inquisitor: You think Master Billaba was such a paragon of the Jedi? She learned the true nature of the Force even before the New Order!
    Kanan: She's ten times the Jedi you ever were!
    Inquisitor: Why was she in a coma during much of the Clone Wars?
    Kanan: She was injured during the Battle of Haruun Kal...
    Inquisitor: (Evil laughter) How naive. Let me introduce my boss, Grand Inquisitor Billaba.
    (Enter Depa)
    Depa: Kanan, I am your master.
    Kanan: No... That's not true... That's impossible!
    Inquisitor: Use your common sense, you know this to be true!
    Kanan: NOOOOOO!!!!
    (cue evil laughter from the Inquisitor and Depa)
    (cue scores of fans rushing to order 'Shatterpoint' on their Kindle apps to find out what in the world the Inquisitor is talking about)

See Disney, that's how you make money. ;)

22. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    That's not the 501st; those are Palpatine's shock troopers, based on their markings.

23. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    We may get at least a little bit of Hera back story in Lords of the Sith. Sooner or later they are going to tell us what her relationship to Cham is.

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. snikttrooper

snikttrooper Jedi Master star 1

Mar 15, 2014
    Cool beans.

25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Why is everyone here so excited for this? Isn't this just a typical clone wars era plot repackaged with different characters? It seems they are again committing one of the mistakes of the old EU by making so many comic lines about force users.

Star Wars: Zeb would've been incredibly interesting, but no, gotta be a Jedi.