main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: Kenobi by John Jackson Miller

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthJenari, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    One of the most recent announcements from the NYCC Del Rey Panel. Tentatively titled Kenobi, this will be a novel focusing on Obi-Wan Kenobi sometime after the events of Revenge of the Sith. It'll be written by John Jackson Miller (Knight Errant, Lost Tribe of the Sith, Knights of the Old Republic).

Personally I think that the almost 20 some years between ROTS and A New Hope has always been an interesting time period, save for the crazy and ridiculously overpowered Force User running around every now and again. But what do we know about good old Ben and what he was up to during this time? He watched Luke for the most part, helped out Ferus a bit, and dueled the future Darth Krayt. For the most part that's almost 2 decades where he could've been getting up to any number of crazy adventures. This is just a promotional image, but he's clearly on Tatooine. So assuming the novel's just set there, what could he possibly be doing that'd be enough for a novel? I personally find it a little hard to believe he'd do anything except watch Luke if he was on that planet, however he is still a Jedi. If he saw people in danger he'd help. So perhaps it'll have something to do with the slave trade on the planet, or the Hutts, or hell maybe even the Tuskens. (Though i'm not sure how that'd play out with A'Shared being on the planet as well at some point, though it could work)

Regardless I personally think this is a novel that has been a long time coming. Obi-Wan's one of the best characters in the series and one of the greatest Jedi of all time. Its about time we found out what he was really doing in his later years besides watching the future Grandmaster of the New Jedi Order. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I don't care what the subject is, I'm just happy that JJM is writing it.

3. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Just checked, Obi-Wan didn't meet Hett until 17 years BBY. I've always assumed Hett went straight to Tatooine after the Clone Wars, so i'm not sure how they didn't run into each other. Probably won't have anything to do with the Tuskens to keep it believable.

I also didn't notice before, but that looks like the old Lars homestead in the background there.

4. AirNeeva

AirNeeva Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 20, 2012
    Whew. One book that I am actually looking forward to. *cough* coming up "Denningverse"*cough*.

5. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    A feel that this artwork, if used as a cover, should be held up as an example of what all covers everywhere should be.

markdeez33, cthugha, Zeta1127 and 4 others like this.
  6. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    MUST HAVE, great art and congrats to JJM! can't wait

7. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Awesomeness.

8. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Very interesting sounding. I wonder if there will be any more incidents of "Angry Drunk" Kenobi, or "Gimme your money, I need Groceries" Kenobi in the book.

9. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    And here would be my post on the book.

Kept pretty quiet about this before now, I did. Hope you'll enjoy it!

Chewbacca89, Vespasian, V-2 and 24 others like this.
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Somewhat explains why both Knight Errant and Lost Tribe are ending/on hold. Still, great announcent. Obi-Wan is sorely underrepresented in the EU. And this is a great period of time to explore the character.

Though, hardcover. [face_frustrated]

Valairy Scot likes this.
  11. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    Really looking forward to this one! Kenobi is my favorite part of the PT. It will also be cool to see Luke mentioned.

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    About time! :D

Master_Keralys likes this.
  14. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Thanks for posting here, John! Hopefully you'll get more than just me posting comments on your blog! :)

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    So that would be ghost Obi-Wan, I take it?

16. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Hey John, perhaps your next SW could be "Organa". ;)

17. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    "Kenobi is a sweeping story that's part epic western, part high-stakes drama, part romance— but it’s all Star Wars, taking place in the early days of Obi-Wan’s exile to Tatooine. I shouldn’t expand too much beyond what Random House said on its panel and Facebook page, but I can say this. I’ve been working on this concept for years — I’ll talk more about that process later on — and the basics are pretty simple. The greatest hero in the galaxy faces his toughest challenge yet: He must stop being Obi-Wan — and learn to live as Ben."

I think I speak for everyone when I say:

[​IMG]

18. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Yeah, I caught that too, but figured I'd let him change it to BBY.

19. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    My bad. Haven't had my coffee yet. [face_coffee]

20. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    NO! We don't want John to shut up! We want him to tell us as much as he can about his book! Or, at least, I do.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    hah. Barriss_Coffee was just speculating a while back that LFL probably had something like that in the works... guess she was right!

Master_Keralys likes this.
  22. Eternal_Hero

Eternal_Hero Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2012
    Perfection!

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Adding this onto my Amazon list...

Grievousdude and Master_Keralys like this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Thread title changed for clarity and to get more attention.

I suppose this'll be my first JJM work that I read. Not that I've been avoiding the others--I've been meaning to get to KOTOR someday.

25. colojedi7

colojedi7 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2007
    So looking forward to this! Obi-Wan and Luke are my two favorite characters!! [face_party]

Skywalker2B likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.