main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: Kenobi by John Jackson Miller

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthJenari, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    If he isn't, I am. ;)

krtmd likes this.
  2. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    There'll be a few interviews and chat opportunities as we get closer to the release date, but I wanted to note that I've launched a daily (spoiler-free) trivia tweet countdown for the book. Follow me at @jjmfaraway or check the hashtag ‪#‎KenobiCountdown‬ as we go along. Just thirty days to go!

3. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    My Star Wars novel collection is made up of only paperbacks but I have a feeling that this one will be worth the extra dough for the hardback.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Postman brought Insider #143 today and I spent part of the afternoon hiding from the 90F+ temperatures here in the Greater London area and reading it. I must say I enjoyed Incognito and I'm looking forward to the Kenobi book.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I have spread the Kenobi love...

Seriously, if this book ends up like Mindor (awesome, but underselling) I'm going to be piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed.

John, I'm optimistic that you've been contacted for one of the stand-alone movies based on this. :p

BoromirsFan and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  6. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Well, if he was, he wouldn't be able to tell us.

So, let's just assume that his silence means that he has been. ;)

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Gorefiend likes this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Facebook micro excerpt 3:

"I have his lightsaber, you know. It’s right here, sitting in my hands. Some nights, like this, I just sit and stare at it, wondering what I could have done to help him.

I look, and I look, for answers. Then I put it away in the trunk, and try to forget.

It’s impossible, of course.

Maybe if he’d grown older—had been able to grow older, he’d have gotten some perspective. But that just wasn’t to be.

If only he’d listened to reason, hadn’t forced me to do what I had to do, then I wouldn’t be here, now, feeling like a—

No.

Good night, Qui-Gon."

Zer0, JackG, Revanfan1 and 6 others like this.
  10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Ohh! Right in the feelings! :(

11. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Shouldn't this be stickied?

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  13. Pax Bandica

Pax Bandica Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2013
    I can't wait for this book. And yes, I signed up just to say that.

14. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    The sad impression I got from the movies is that it never ocurred to him to do what Luke did, appeal to the person Anakin had been rather than giving him an ultimatum. From that last line it doesn´t look this has changed.

my kind of scum likes this.
  15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Anakin was calmer, more ready to listen by ROTJ. In ROTS he was too hot-headed, too ready to shoot down the people he saw as hypocrites and scum–and more importantly the man he saw with his wife–to listen to anything, even appealing to his person. By ROTJ, Vader was desperate to have Luke join him; he wanted the son that he thought he'd killed before birth. There was no impression given that Anakin identified Luke with the old Jedi. Luke, he'd listen to. Obi-Wan, probably not a chance.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, and Padmé did try to appeal to his good self. Look how well that turned out for her. Even if Obi-Wan hadn't shown up, things were deteriorating very quickly between Anakin and Padmé on Mustafar, and I imagine she still wouldn't have been able to turn him back.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah. It just turned into Anakin raving about how he'd rule "HIS NEW EMPIRE!" Not so good.

18. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Yep. And I liked the touch Stover placed in the novel with Anakin even offering Obi-Wan one chance to walk away.

"I'll give you a chance, Obi-Wan. For old times' sake. Walk away....Go some place out of the way. Retire. Meditate. That's what you like isn't it?"

Obviously that wasn't going to happen and didn't happen, but it's been described that while on Mustafar Anakin's kind of caught between who he was and who he's becoming, the light's still there but is rapidly being swallowed up by the darkness. It's hard to see this in the movie, but the novel makes it much clearer.

I always personally like to see that no matter how much time passes Obi-Wan's still haunted by what happened, and thinks back on how things could've played out differently.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This book was a great companion on my trip out in the wilderness -- it was so good that I finished it in less than 24 hrs. And that's all I'm gonna say for a few more days.

edit: Come to think of it, I think this was my first JJM novel, since I haven't read KE yet. I should go do that.

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.