main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: Kenobi by John Jackson Miller

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthJenari, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hoping this will be like Nomad!:cool:

Havac likes this.
  2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    This is fantastic news. Obi-Wan is one of my favorites, and JJM is very good.

Also, I'll point out that one of my favorite scenes in all of Star Wars is the final scene of Rise of the Dark Lord, when Obi-Wan talks to Qui-Gon and watches over Luke.

"Returning to the dazzling light of Tatooine's twin suns, he caught up with Owen, Beru, and Luke, and kept silent watch over them for what remained of the day"

Maybe it's just me, but there's something beautiful about that line, in a minimalistic way. And hey, just the other day I was saying that we need more stories with Ben as Luke's guardian angel; even if that's not particularly what this story about, something like this could not be more welcome.

Rawne likes this.
  3. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    DAIMIAN JOHN JACKSON MILLER, CREATOR OF ALL THAT IS AWESOME, BESTOWS UPON HIS FOLLOWERS A GIFT OF KENOBI!

^:)^

Freaking fantastic news!

4. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    TCW film.

5. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Official Literature Mod Squad Opinion: AWESOME!

6. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Sounds interesting, I'm not dying for it to come out, but still. Although I would've preferred if this book was titled "Ben"

7. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Congrats on your first hardcover, Mr. Miller. Taking the Star Wars franchise for what it is (that is to say, not life and death, of course), I don't know if I can express just how important of a character Obi-Wan Kenobi is and has been to me, personally, since I first sat and watched Sir Alec in Star Wars for the first time as a kid in 1980. Ewan McGregor's portayal, I thought, was fantastic - fully in keeping with the traditions set before, while adding a distinction of his very own. I am quite excited to hear that you have been chosen to take up the mantle and lead us through the exploration of this most crucial and dynamic time for the character.

Still, one worrying thing that I noticed did stand out. 'Late 2013'? "But that's a whole 'nother year!"
    Honestly, I can not wait!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    [​IMG]
    APPROVED.

9. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
  10. Halagan

Halagan Jedi Knight

Oct 11, 2012
    You definitely speak for me. Oh, yes, you do. Haven't been this excited about a new SW novel since Plagueis. Well, and maybe Scoundrels.

11. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    A new JJM novel? Do want.

12. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Awesome! I'm really happy to see this. Aside from the still officially unconfirmed Stover ImpCom novel, this is the first new, non-guide Star Wars book I've been excited to see hit the schedule. I've never been disappointed with a thing JJ Miller's done, so I can't imagine this being anything but excellent. Really looking forward to it!

13. TheWiseJedi

TheWiseJedi Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2012
    I wounder in this book, we will get to know what his mind set was after he had to kill his so called brother in battle then states " You were the chosen one! You were sent to destroy the sith not join them, Bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness." He then continues and states "you were my brother anakin, I loved you".(Revenge of the sith the movie)

I have to imagine that this would play back on him over and over again, remembering what had gone so wrong and how he could have prevented it sooner. Also if we look at "loved" its in the pass tense, so does this mean that Obi wan hated Anakin?

hopefully we get to see what his mindset is.

14. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I definitely like the first few pages of LTotS: Precipice that I just read today, so this looks very promising excellent.

15. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I really wish that John Jackson Miller would write a about Luke instead, as I think he would write him really well, and I don't feel that Luke has been portrayed all that well for a long time. However, I'm a fan of JJM's work and would probably buy any novel written by him, so count me in!

16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm shocked. Truly. :p

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Well, I imagine Luke will make an appearance of some kind (even if it's just as a baby). If it's set a bit later, I'd actually really enjoy a scene between Obi-Wan and kid Luke. However, correct if I'm wrong, but don't they first meet in Luke Skywalker's Walkabout?

I think Obi-Wan is a fantastic choice for JJM, though, especially Obi-Wan at such a difficult transition. Come to think of it, we really don't have a good "Ben Kenobi" anything. The closest we get is Walkabout, which is a great little story, but I'm really interested to see what JJM can do with him. Helps that Obi-Wan's easily in my top three favorite characters of all of SW, though. He's also got that dry sense of humor, and JJM work is usually pretty funny

Also, I demand that Obi-Wan keep with his tradition of defeating famous Sith Lords and sparing (unwittingly allowing them to become more dangerous... stupid Obi-Wan) in this novel. Right now he's only got Maul, Vader and Krayt under his belt... surely there's another he can maim in this novel :D

18. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    There's the Obi-Wan bio book for Ben Kenobi, too, plus the Last of the Jedi and Dark Lord stuff getting him settled in. But there's not much, true.

19. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Dang. Beat me to it. :p

I like the description JJM gave of it. Western? Romance? Star Wars? This is good stuff.

Havac and Ulicus like this.
  20. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Western is always good stuff. I'm totally ready for Ben to go Man With No Name on a gang of bandits.

Master_Keralys likes this.
  21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Oh yeah, I enjoyed the Ryder Windham Obi-Wan book quite a bit for what it was. In fact, I really wished it had spent more time with Ben, the fairly unknown period, rather than spend so much detail recapping the movies, but what are you gonna do. I also enjoyed the very brief exchange between Obi-wan and Anakin as he was dying.

Does Last of the Jedi cover Obi-Wan much? I thought it had its own protagonists (Ferus Olin... from what I've read of him so far in Jedi Quest, bleh). If it does, that definitely skyrockets my interest, though I've gotta get around to finishing the Quest books at some point.

I'll admit I'm a little skeptical about the "romance" part (Obi-Wan's supposed to have "infinite sadness" while on Tatooine, remember? :p), but of course I'll wait until I can see it.

Unless he's using "romance" in a more traditional style, of course.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Too bad Dass already beat him to the punch.

23. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    The romance will be Ben drunkenly seducing Aunt Beru. That's why Owen doesn't want him around.

Last of the Jedi has Obi-Wan in the first few books, with Ferus getting him involved, until he decides he has to be back on Tatooine, regardless of what's going on elsewhere in the galaxy, and then leaving events in Ferus's hands.

And Dass goes more Kuwabatake Sanjuro or Continental Op.

Ulicus likes this.
  24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Believe me, I'd be all for it if Obi-Wan and some ugly Eli Wallach-looking dude pulled cons against the rogues of Mos Eisley.

25. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Last of the Jedi has Obi-Wan in the first few books, with Ferus getting him involved, until he decides he has to be back on Tatooine, regardless of what's going on elsewhere in the galaxy, and then leaving events in Ferus's hands.

The series is more about Ferus coming to turns with his long repressed sexuality, anyway. I envison a film of it starring Tom Cruise.

Whuffa and Ulicus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.