main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Grymestone, Nov 5, 2012.

1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    It's sad the games are no longer treated as canon. KOTOR is one of the best games I've ever played; absolutely loved the story. We really need an animated Old Republic series.

Going to blow the dust off my XBOX and start a new game.

2. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, I keep this one in my personal canon, as well as the second one, but not TOR.

An animated OR would be cool, sadly I doubt think it'll be soon, Rebels has to be milked to death first.

3. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Playing it on Steam at the moment. I just rescued Bastilla from the Vulkars after the swoop race. Great game. I wish I'd bought it sooner.

TX-20 likes this.
  4. IBYM

IBYM Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 17, 2014
    Decided which planet you're going to next?

On another note the soundtrack on the two games is absolutely epic, shame there's only small parts of it on Youtube.

5. SeparatistSympathizer

SeparatistSympathizer Jedi Knight

May 14, 2014
    Relevant. Jeremy Soule is a musical genius, imo. I don't think he's done and OST I didn't like.

But besides that, oh man I enjoyed this game in my younger years. Going back through and playing it is fun, but it doesn't have that magic that it had the first time or two around. The Dark Side ending though, man. That lit a fire in me.

6. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I've only just got the option to travel to planets actually. I've just landed on Tatooine because I've heard you get HK-47 there and from what I've heard he's the best.

7. IBYM

IBYM Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 17, 2014
    Best companion by far, save some credits! Keep an eye out for lightsaber parts and crystals too.

8. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    First time I ever played KOTOR was between beta cycles for SWTOR. I thought the game was fantastic and the story was top notch.

spicer likes this.
  9. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Once you leave Dantooine you can pick which planets and in what order you visit. Canonically and typically Tatooine should be first, but I go to Kashyyyk first. It would be nice to go to Korriban first if you want to go Dark Side, but I do not think you will have sufficient skills, strength, Force Powers, and etc to defeat Sith.

10. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Finally got rolling on my scout playthrough. It's been a while since I've run through, but jeez - I'm ripping right through the Vulkar Base right now; I didn't recall my soldier Revan being quite this lethal. I've largely neglected his blaster skills and gone straight into the two-weapon fighting path with melee weapons, and he's cleaning house quite nicely. Right now I have Big Z and Mission backing me up; mostly keeping Big Z on a sword and having Mission play the swing role with Carth's blaster or her vibroblade. Earlier in the Lower City and Undercity Carth was doing a good job as my tail gunner mowing down gang members and raks.

11. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    DarthCane, I've never started as a Scout. I have only picked the Soldier class. Does the Scout class have more skills, computer spikes, and etc?

12. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    The scout is more of a jack-of-all trades; they have computer use and repair as class skills (they're the only class to have repair as a class skill). They don't have the raw combat power of a soldier, but they do get the best saving throws out of all three classes. Scouts start with 12 base skill points as opposed to the soldier's 4 and the scoundrel's 16. I figured on trying a scout because 1) I figured that was perhaps the best fit for the canonical Revan, given his facility with languages, droids, and exploration; 2) it would let me do some things like fully repair HK-47 without sinking a lot of points into repair as a cross-class skill. In any case at level 8 I'm likely to switch him over to a Jedi Guardian, which should provide the requisite "unstoppable juggernaut of headbutting destruction" abilities.

Kato Sai likes this.
  13. Tomsta

Tomsta Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 2013
    I prefer the second on over the first one generally, however if we are going just on storyline, then KOTOR I takes it, however i really enjoy KOTOR II's storyline cos it's got more mystery around it, i know the first one has mystery around it also, but i like the whole idea of the Exile, i've played the gamed like 10 times over and still not got to know everything about the lore of KOTOR II, KOTOR I never really gripped me, i did play KOTOR II before I however (my dad picked up the game second hand at HMV like 7 or 8 years ago

14. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    KotOR I to me had the more memorable storyline; II had the better gameplay in my opinion, especially when it came to ranged combat. In KotOR I unless you had a dedicated gunslinger with really good late-game weapons, by the time they did in a foe with blasters you could have run up and chopped them to bits with melee weapons a few times over. In KotOR II on the other hand I had a number of times when I would keep even my high-powered Jedi characters on guns. The one memorable time was in Freedon Nadd's tomb on Dxun; my party was Visas, Mira, and Atton. Visas I kept on a saber/short saber combo and used as a point attacker, while I outfitted Atton with two powerful blaster pistols and Mira with a Mando blaster rifle. My two Jedi gunslingers were mowing down Sith left and right.

15. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I love both games, but there's something about the mysterious ambient in KOTOR II that lures me to it more than the first...

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    II's got a much better story now that all of the cut content has been restored.

I mean, it's Planescape: Torment with a Star Wars skin, but still.

17. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    The Original KOTOR's story is more compelling because you discover you are the Dark Lord Revan. KOTOR II Story (I have not played the restored version) felt disjointed and less cohesive of a story. I did enjoy the arch that the Jedi are almost completely wiped out and you have an obligation (if you choose to fulfills it) to save the Jedi Order from extinction.

I know that the Old Republic not part of this thread, but I wish it had been a KOTOR III and had a compelling story. The only narrative in The Old Republic is in the trailers and books "Deceived," "Hope" and etc. KOTOR and KOTOR II at least had stories in game that made you connect with the characters and the events transpiring.

18. VictoryClassWoman

VictoryClassWoman Jedi Knight

Jun 4, 2006
    Strangely, I prefer KotOR II even before the restored content and even with the disjointed narrative and botched ending. I think Kreia adds a whole new dimension to the story, plus there are more well-rounded characters, more story threads, more psychology ... I'm thinking the idea of droids as sentient vs. disposable machines (seriously, every droid in the game seems to have this struggle), Sion's irreconcilable feelings about the Exile, the Exile's bonds with her companions as either danger or a saving grace, Kreia's ideas about the nature of the Force, the "true Sith," the list goes on.

Maybe I kind of like the soundtrack better as well. :) I guess the theme has a sort of "ancient mysteries" feel to it. SeparatistSympathizer is correct about Jeremy Soule.

spicer likes this.
  19. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I liked that the choices in KOTOR II had greater consequences. That helping someone say by being benevolent and gifting them money can hurt them later.

20. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Got a little worried on my KotOR I playthrough - hit a crash bug when entering the turret sequence during the escape from Taris. Fixed it by meddling with my processor affinities, so now I'm busily carving up the local wildlife and the odd Mando on Dantooine. For the most part my PC was barely scratched even though I had him Force-jumping right into packs of Kath hounds while Big Z and Canderous hung back as fire support. Juhani was a bit tough though. Next up on my to-do list is resolving the Sandral/Matale feud with Carth and Mission as my team, then swapping out characters (probably go with Canderous and either Carth or Bastila) to toast the local Mandalorian command post.

21. VictoryClassWoman

VictoryClassWoman Jedi Knight

Jun 4, 2006
    For me, the most satisfying resolution of the Sandral/Matale feud requires a high persuasion, so I usually have to leave Dantooine and level up a few times before coming back to do it. I haven't tried it using a Scoundrel class though, maybe they are able to receive enough persuasion points to get the old men to make peace?

22. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    I've managed it before with a soldier and did it again now with my scout. I tend to load a lot of points into Persuade simply because it gets you a fair bit of mileage if you're doing a light-side run. I actually had a high enough persuade on Taris to convince Zax the Hutt to give me an extra 100 credits on all his bounties.

This time around it was the 4th-last thing I did on Dantooine; after that I 86'd Sharruk (commander of the Mandalorian mercs on Dantooine). He and his gang went down surprisingly easy given that only my PC was taking him on in melee with Canderous and Carth laying down covering fire. Next is tackling the ruins with Bastila and Carth and my final act will be hitting the caves with Bastila and Juhani.

Kato Sai likes this.
  23. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    DarthCane, do you prefer to do Light Side or Dark Side runs on KOTOR? I myself prefer Light Side. Though I have never gotten far on a Dark Side run.

24. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    On both games I've only done light-side. I find RPGs are a decent personality test; the dark-side options in both KotOR games mostly fall under the "for the evulz" heading. It's not that I couldn't do anything evil; it's that I need a much better reason than "I'm just being a jerk." Even in Mass Effect, which is a lot more gray and grayer morality, I've only done two renegade-leaning runs and one of them mellowed out to mostly paragon by the third game.

Got to Tatooine and had my first run-in with some of Malak's flunkies. Took a suboptimal party into the fight - Bastila is a good pick, but Mission with a blaster pistol is not your usual choice for a 3-v-3 Dark Jedi encounter. My party got a little beat up, but they dropped all three enemies pretty quickly and I didn't have to pick any of my own crew off the ground. I may really live on the edge and take Mission and HK-47 for my first run in the desert.

Kato Sai likes this.
  25. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    At last I am not alone! When I play RPGs I always defer to my moral compass. I cannot do the certain acts that are required to be evil. When I am faced with the choices in KOTOR, I always want to do the Jedi thing. When I get Dark Side points, I feel a sense of guilt and remorse.