main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Speculation] Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Han Burgundy, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder about the role that Kyber Crystals would have in a KOTOR-era film. Yoda did say that, "Long ago in forgotten times when the Sith and Jedi fought for control of the galaxy, weapons there were of unimaginable power. Always at their heart a kyber crystal was."

2. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    With the reveal that Kylo's saber is an ancient design, I wonder if we'll see sabers like Kylo's in an old republic movie.

3. CT-7447

CT-7447 Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2015
    I am down for anything Old Republic-era related, whether it be movies, TV shows or video games. But yeah, a Old Republic-era trilogy, or single movie even, would me amazing.

4. Darth Master Titus

Darth Master Titus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 10, 2014
    Is Knights of the Old Republic HD remake still a go? I agree, anything in that era is welcomed, that's an era only the books have touched besides KOTOR. I'd love a movie/video game set in the Great Sith War era!

5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think a trilogy is needed, IMO. Something that starts with the origin of the Jedi and then the Sith. Could be a sight to behold.

6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The incident that led to the divide between the Jedi and the Sith, a Galaxy caught in a full-scale war between them, maybe the origin of the Chosen one prophecy that would lead to both orders downfalls millennia later. There's a lot of stuff that would be fun to tackle from a standpoint of interesting storytelling and also adding new layers of understanding to the core Saga.

Trikuza23, Shaak Ti, Big Boss and 5 others like this.
  7. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    I didn't see anyone else mention it, but did anyone else notice that Rakata Prime is on the map published in Empire courtesy of Lucasfilm? Hopefully it means something and not just throwing fans a bone.
    [​IMG]

8. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I've been thinking the very same thing, myself.

And wouldn't it be awesome if these did turn out to be the canonical design for the standard lightsaber of 'a thousand generations' ago? I've always said that, while I'd expect some differences in tech, I'd still want to see the KOTOR wield lightsabers of some sort (as opposed to a Force-imbued steel sword, or something). And these would do nicely.

Just imagine a strong Order of Jedi Knights, wielding cross-guard sabers of blue and green (or maybe even make it that way back when, the Jedi had access to Kyber crystals which would produce blades of almost every imaginable color). And then pit the Jedi against a Sith Empire striking with crimson versions like Kylo's. Oh, and then toss the Mandalorians into the mix (and make sure a Vizsla nabs the darksaber).

----------

Fun fact: I took my mother and daughter shopping this past weekend and we stopped by a store we have around these parts called Five Below (an 'everything five bucks or less,' kind of thing).

Anyway, one of the displays had five-dollar versions of what are essentially Hasbro's electronic Kylo saber. The main blade is shorter than the official toy, but otherwise they're pretty similar. They light up and come complete with cross-guard, a gloriously ragged sound and everything.

But here's the kicker: They had them not only in red, but in blue, too (it's really quite pretty when it's lit).

Long story short? I'm now left wondering if my daughter is the proud owner of an "Old Republic"-styled Jedi lightsaber? :p

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    How about presenting KOTOR as a legend with Luke narrating as he stands next to a statue of Revan in the Jedi Temple?

10. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    You mean with Hamill as Luke? So, like an elder Luke standing within a new Jedi temple after surviving the events of Episode IX?

I like the idea. Not only does the framing device strike me as original, but it includes so many of my favorite things (Luke Skywalker, Revan... historical statuary).

And did I mention Luke? :D No, but really, I know the topic is about the lore from another time, but when it comes to capturing Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker on film, I'm all in-favor of getting as much as we can, while we still can.

And Revan? He is hands down the first Old Republic-era character I'd canonize.

So yeah, it's an intriguing thought.

Tell me more.

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The idea is that KOTOR is a legend in-universe, passed down by the Jedi throughout the millenia. Revan is a contriversial figure among historians. Also, this would provide a connection to the "saga era" for those unfamiliar with KOTOR.

12. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    It's a very cool thought especially since recently Both Rakata Prime and HK-47 were Recanonized recently in the new Galaxy of Heroes game.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe there's never a Great Hyperspace War and instead the True Sith are those were defeated at the end of the Hundred-Year Darkness?

14. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Sorry, I was unexpectedly off-board for a couple of days, there. Thanks for responding.

Your idea? I love it!

If, like say, Jesus of Nazareth, Revan is believed by later generations to have been a man who yes, truly existed, but that his relative powers and story were a matter of faith/debate? I love that. It's an inspired way, I think, of tackling the "How do we handle the canonization of a major EU (but, to the general movie-going public, largely unknown) figure?" question.

And by framing the tale with a "Major League" character like Luke Skywalker? You're right, it's a great way of easing the non-zealot in and making the connection. And yep, given that we're dealing with the story of a famed Force user, an elder Luke Skywalker who has made certain discoveries since the downfall of the Sith would be the ideal choice. And, as I mentioned previously: What a neat way of having Mark Hamill don his Jedi robes again in a fun, but low key way!

I think it's perfect.

Somebody get a hold of Lucasfilm! Better yet? Do it yourself, 'tech. They say their approach right now is "Just come to us with a great idea for a story."

And you've got the germ of one right there, my friend.

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    They better tone down the Force powers. Nihilus and Vitiate are way too powerful for Star Wars.

Shaak Ti, WriterMan and DurararaFTW like this.
  16. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I feel like direct adaptations of the games wouldn't work because they'd *have* to be trilogies. Many people see KOTOR as having a plot very similar to ANH, but if you pay attention it's almost like the entire OT in the Old Republic era. Especially with the end of Act II ^:)^

KOTOR II wouldn't even fit in three movies. This would also lead to the adaptation of KOTOR III which never made it to audiences. And I want anything but an adaptation of that awful novel...

I really like the idea of making him this controversial character in history.

Shaak Ti and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  17. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I think KOTOR would actually lend itself to a 10-11 episode long mini-series along the lines of Band of Brothers (in terms of production values, not in terms of style). While you lose a bit of grandeur that you can only achieve through making a big movie, you do gain enough time to actually use all the content. That way you don't have to rush through things or cut down characters so that they hardly appear at all. Spend 2-3 episodes on the early battle and Taris, use one each for Dantooine, Kashyyyk, Tatooine, Manaan and Korriban, one one the Leviathan, one on Lehon/Rakata Prime/whatever it was called and another one or two for the Star Forge. You'd probably have enough time to add smaller stuff, like another visit to Dantooine or the Yavin Space station if necessary.

18. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I don't see an adaptation occurring. A writer would understandably strive to keep his or her options open, after all.

Besides, I don't know about anybody else, but I don't personally feel that any direct retelling of the KOTOR story line needs to happen in order for Revan to translate well to the big screen.

No, when it comes right down to it, most of what I'd really hope for out of Revan is that, story-wise, the most basic elements of his EU journey are retained. In other words, I'd look for the legend of a storied man from the distant past. A being who was, at different points in his life, both an ambassador for the light and an agent of darkness, but who eventually evolved into a unique kind of synthesis of the two. Now, I admit that I do also rather fancy his character design. The mask, the red and black color scheme, the red and purple lightsabers. These are all great and I suppose that I'd love to see that aesthetic kept intact in any canonical depiction of Revan.

But this truth about Revan is what so intrigues me about the character.

"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things Revan… and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."

He's such an ambivalent figure.

Hmm... [face_thinking] You know what I'd expect the writer of a Revan story to ask? "What is gained through becoming that living embodiment of 'all things... and yet... nothing[ness]'?"

What is gained... and what is lost? What was the trade-off for such a fate? Not only personally, but for the greater society?

And for that matter, why has no one since Revan embodied these same concepts? Was the guy somehow so uniquely gifted as to be the only one ever capable of attaining such a status? Or is Revan's simply so much a cautionary tale, that no one would dare strive to end up like him because, in the end, it just isn't worth it?

To me, these are the interesting questions one might debate about a figure such as Revan. Even in his own time.

But then you add the history:
    Yes!

Not only does Revan's unique stature make him a compelling figure during his own time, but with the added element of the passage of the ages, matters inevitably become so muddied -- so clouded -- that he becomes the stuff of legend.

"We know that he lived. Contemporary historical records make numerous mention of the man. Heck, between cataloging the surviving archives of the Jedi and what has been discovered in the Emperor's vaults, I've even uncovered what purport to be two of his lightsabers. But these... fables? These stories of a powerful man who not only served the light; not only embraced the darkness; but who somehow transcended both? Can it possibly be? Most are skeptical, but something tells me that there's some truth to the legend. But if so, how could it have come to pass? And what can we learn from Revan's story, today?"

I say it again, darklordoftech: The debated figure of the historical Revan. Wow, what a grand concept!

----------

Okay, fair warning: Personal speculation/fanfic time ahead:

And then you take the premise of Luke Skywalker introducing what is ostensibly a character piece -- a study on Revan and his personal tale -- and you use that life story as a springboard into an even larger work: An epic. The Star Wars: The Old Republic trilogy.

Replete with a Holy Order of Jedi Knights, a Sith Empire stretching across the galaxy and the old school, warrior Mandalorians the Death Watch were so keen on glorifying.

And then, because in this idea we're looking back into a era during which many of the details are up for debate, it frees the filmmakers to stretch out a bit in ways which might not feel appropriate in an Episode of the Skywalker Saga?

For instance, maybe we see the use of slow motion shots (something I've argued against in the Saga) during a grand battle with thousands of cross-guard lightsabers (with blades of every imaginable hue)?

And who knows? Maybe, rather than adhering more closely to the old EU timeline, Lucasfilm goes for the 'one fell swoop' approach and makes use of a number of the more popular Old Republic EU characters all at once? For instance, might we one day see an Exar Kun living during the same time as a Naga Sadow? Or Marka Ragnos and a Darth Zannah? Darth Malgus alongside a Darth Traya, Sion or Nihilus?.

Finally, to tie it all back to Revan and the (precious little) established lore, pre-TPM: Might the Revan who is eventually no longer a Jedi or a Sith wind up becoming the one who strikes the decisive blow by cutting down the leader of the Sith (say, Lucas' Darth Ruin?)? Thus making Revan the being largely responsible for ending the reign of the Sith Empire, forcing Darth Bane underground to radically rethink the survival of his kind, and leading the Republic into a new Golden Age? A prosperous, 1,000 year reign when the Jedi were no longer forced to act as soldiers confronting the Sith, but were free to entertain thoughts of serving as "Keepers of the Peace" (and to unwittingly allow complacency and stagnation to slowly seep its way into their Order and take root)?

Sorry for the delving into fanfic, but that's perhaps what I might do with such an idea.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder how common limbs getting cut off was during the Sith Wars. With armies of lightsaber-wielders going at each other, the there must have been so many limbs flying around.

jimtalkbox, Shaak Ti and dlbates like this.
  20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    It would be cool to see the primitive lightsaber seen in the Art of TFA.

21. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I'm not sure if I ever posted in this thread, but this would be awesome. I would almost like to see a whole TV series. It can start with the dark Jedi exiles leaving and arriving on Moribad. Of course Revan would have to be in it at some point.

22. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Raining arms and legs.

darklordoftech likes this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The design of the first lightsaber was probably the Darksaber and then it was a kylo type weapon and then the lightsaber.

24. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Could be. :)

Myself, I like to think of the darksaber as a unique, one-of-a-kind treasure. As in, not only unique 'now,' but even way back when it was first introduced. I guess I like it that way because it makes it more precious.

If it's the only known copy of the design to have survived? Well, then it's still an incredibly important artifact, of course. But there's always the chance another may appear.

But if it's the only one of its kind ever produced...?

Shaak Ti likes this.
  25. Eons I slept

Eons I slept Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2015
    Oh, man. I love me some Darksaber...

I'd love to see KOTR with kind of a period piece type vibe to it. I'd really like to see some pre-lightsaber action, with the crazy Sith blood-swords and weird rituals and such.

"A long, long, long, long, long, long, loooooong time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."

Shaak Ti and darklordoftech like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.