main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Star Wars Laserdisc Versions

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Jango_Bango, Apr 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jango_Bango

Jango_Bango Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    I am currently looking around for a laserdisc player. Obviously this is
    due to the possibility that the original movies will not be released on DVD. :mad:

What I am wondering is what version of the trilogy would be best?? (Laserdisc)

I am seeing two or three different sets and was wondering if anyone had any info
    on this. (I know one of us does ;) )

Kev

2. ThreepMe

ThreepMe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    Me too! I want to get them myself, but alas, I don't know either!

3. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke

Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2000
    I have a laserdisc player, with quite a collection of discs, including the Holy Trilogy.

I have the original THX remasters from 95 (?), and I like them a lot. I believe Jeff has SE on laserdisc as well.

4. HoboZuckuss

HoboZuckuss Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2002
    I also have the orginal trilogy on laserdisc however I'm not sure what version they are. My laserdisc is broken for years so I havn't pulled them out in quite some time. I also have some Bond movies and at Raider's of the Lost Arc and maaaybe Temple of Doom. I'd have to double check those.

5. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    I have them all so here is the skinny on the SW movies on laserdisc. Pardon me if the dates aren't exact...

- 1984 - original Trilogy boxed set (7 discs, including a ton of extra interviews, behind the scenes, and only official release of all original trailers...more than most DVDs). These were never sold individually and have the 'old style' poster art on each disc sleave. **this was the first and is the best copy of the trilogy

- 1996 - original Trilogy boxed set, "One Last Time" version (7 discs, no trailers, plus a 'Making of the Saga' disc). These discs were also sold separately.

- 1998 - special edition Trilogy boxed set (6 discs, movies with each special edition trailer on each disc) These were never sold individually.

- 1999 - Episode 1 (2 discs, no trailers or extras) Official Fox release only available in Japan. English with removeable Japanese subtitles.

- 2002 - Episode 2 (2 discs, no trailers or extras) Official Fox release only available in Japan. English with removeable Japanese subtitles.

I hope this helps. Look for a Pioneer brand player. They are the best in my opinion. I've had mine for over 18 years and it still works like day one. Check Ebay.

6. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Jeff, you forgot the definitive collection that came in the black slipcase with the book.

7. THX_Jedi

Nov 18, 2000
    No I didn't. That's the 1984 version. "The Definitive Collection". All the boxed sets came in slipcases. I did forget to mention the book. Thanks. Like I said before, this version is the best.

:cool:

8. KFalcon77

KFalcon77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    You have inspired me. I have Star Wars and Empire on Laserdisc but have never watched them. I have a mission now.

9. Jango_Bango

Jango_Bango Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    Well...my quest is on...and maybe at the end of my quest...I can have a movie
    watching party to break in my new h/t setup!

Kev

10. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Dude, that couldn't have come out in 84. And it had at least 9 discs, not seven.

11. THX_Jedi

Nov 18, 2000
    You could be right. I've never opened my "Definative Collection". My last roommate had one and we used to watch his. All I remember about the laser disc count is that it was the same # as the Special Edition minus the "Making of Saga" disc (which is 7 discs). I could be wrong though.

EDIT: I was wrong. It is 9 discs. There are 2 on Ebay right now here and here. Not bad prices so far considering it retailed for $199.

Date correction: It came out in 1993. I said to pardon me on the dates. I just remembered it was out for a long time before I bought it. :D

? RELEASE DATE: 1993
    ? STUDIO: Fox Video
    ? RELEASE FORMAT: THX Certified Laserdisc
    ? COMMENTS: Mammoth 9-CAV disc (SRP $250) remastered Trilogy "Definitive Collection" with tons and tons of extras, audio commentaries, trailers, interviews, storyboards, The Creative Impulse hardcover book and more!
    ? TECHNICAL COMMENTS: New THX digital picture and sound remasters; letterbox (2.35:1)

:cool:

12. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Aha!!!! I knew it didn't come out that long ago. :)

13. Jedi_Jarvis

Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2001
    Yeah, I have the 95 version of ANH, and all of the ones from 84.

I like the copy from 95 better. The transfer is much better, less artifacts, and grain. In fact the older ones, have some visible scratches occasionally.

I got ANH for $15, and the set for $50 on Ebay.

EDIT: price was wrong Bob!
    Also, I have the THX version, but not Definitave one. My ANH is the 'Black Box' version, with half Vader on the cover. A great copy to have, and would love to see the difference between the quality between the '93, and '95 versions.

14. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    I would recommend going for the Widescreen versions from CBS-Fox Video, or the Trilogy THX collectors' edition...

15. nonofett

nonofett Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 3, 2001
    As I remember:
    There were the 3 movies on laserdisc in 3 different editions:
    Full frame CAV
    Letterbox CLV
    Full Frame CLV
    There was a set in Japan (80's)
    Then the black box came out (90's):
    Letterbox THX CAV (with the book).
    After that the last release of the original on Letterbox THX CLV with Vader,Yoda and Stormtropper Covers
    And then the special edition boxed set.

16. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    If you search around you will find the Lazerdisks converted to dvd for sale. (Dare I say "bootleg"?)
    The quality is not all that bad, and fits nicely in a laptop for your HT fix on the go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.