main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT STAR WARS LEGACY EDITION - RESTORATION OF THE 1977 ORIGINAL STAR WARS

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DrDre, Aug 6, 2015.

1. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    A little update:

Mike has posted on his twitter, that he hopes to hear from Fox/Disney by the end of August.

@MikeVerta Hey Mike, are you able to give any updates about Legacy?

@tweetsRgreg Almost, maybe? Hoping to hear by end of Aug. on the presentation to Disney/Fox.

2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Any idea on exactly who he is presenting to?

I mean to anyone who actually has any real pull to get anything done?

Is the above a reference to hoping to hear that they will listen to him in the first place?

Corporations can move interminably slowly so unless someone with some actual ability to get something done is involved then it can take months for anything to get to anyone who could move anything forward.

Now of course as I said before they might be doing something anyway and want to see if his methods can be used to improve their own project.

3. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    As Mike tells it, he knows people both within Disney and Fox, and they were championing the project for him, moving it up the ladder, in order to present it to the top executives, so the ones with real power. Whether it's about setting a date, or whether it's about being able to give the presentation in the first place, is not clear.

4. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    Mike's recent post doesn't sound very promising. It sounds like the powers that be aren't all that interested in his restoration.

5. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    Yes indeed, although it's of course possible, that they're working on their own restoration, and don't want the competition from Mike. I guess all will be revealed next year. If nothing happens for the 40th anniversary I doubt it will happen any time soon.

themoth likes this.
  6. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    The Batman TV show finally made its way on Blu-Ray, so keep hope alive.

7. Encuentro

Aug 8, 2013
    Verta put so much work into it. I know he said that he would not release it unofficially, but if the powers that be won't release it officially, I wonder if he might consider changing his position on that.

8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I don't think he would. It would be a huge breach of trust in regards to many of the people who helped, because they did so under the caveat that he wouldn't be illegally releasing it.

Prequel_Rubbish and Encuentro like this.
  9. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    Just imagine, there are a few people right now that actually possess a copy of Legacy on their hard drive. These are, of course, people who contributed their coveted prints towards the restoration.

What I wouldn't give to see "Star Wars Legacy Edition.mkv" sitting on my computer, ready to be watched at the click of a mouse...

10. Cobra Kai

Cobra Kai Jedi Master star 1

Oct 1, 2012
    Yeah, he wouldn't release it himself, and he even said that he was told by friends at Lucasfilm to expect a visit from the FBI should Legacy ever get released online.

11. Tosche_Station

Tosche_Station Jedi Master star 2

Feb 9, 2015
    Pathetic....

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  12. Encuentro

Aug 8, 2013
    It doesn't make much sense considering that the Despecialized Editions have been out there for years, and the Siver Screen Edition has been up on YouTube since May.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    It's because of the materials he's received and the people he's received them from. It's a different situation from how Harmy and TeamNegative1 acquired their sources and the people they're in contact with.

Encuentro likes this.
  14. Encuentro

Aug 8, 2013
    That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

15. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    Mike, first thanks for the work you have done to preserve the originals.

Do you think there is any chance of Disney ever releasing a Respecialized version of the OOT? Can they not go back and update the dated VFX shots, clean up garbage mattes, mistakes and the like, without the intrusive altered material? People talk about branching but I think Star Wars has so many changes that it's not possible. They just need the right creative person leading the project. Someone who knows that updating some VFX shots to make ships faster, more maneuverable, and realistic, goes a long way to providing a better viewing experience, and allowing the audience to immerse themselves in the story, whereas editing alterations that induce tonal and pacing inconsistencies, are disruptive and just not wanted.

16. Cedric T Sealion

Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    Ha, that's brilliant. :D

Tosche_Station likes this.
  17. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    [​IMG]

18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  19. Cedric T Sealion

Jul 19, 2014
    Yep, definitely no CGI in the prequel trilogy. None at all.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Even "less" in TFA and R1.

;)

21. Cedric T Sealion

Jul 19, 2014
    Cool story bro.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

More like Lucas still used the old stuff along with the new stuff.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  23. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    It's all about that.

When Lucas said it was all done with computers people actually believed him!

For this new era they say they used computers less and as we've seen people actually believed them.

Of course looking into it for the boring old truth of the matter does make each claim the rubbish that they are.

Mr. Forest and SW Saga Fan like this.
  24. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
    Finally I watch the first two movies of the classic trilogy, without the changes and I really enjoyed it. It's more cozy for me to see these movies without change, now I'm going to see Return of the Jedi.

Lt. Hija, MeBeJedi and Encuentro like this.
  25. Encuentro

Aug 8, 2013
    How did you watch them? Official releases or fan restorations?

cxcfffxx likes this.