main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mass Star Wars Legacy of the Force

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Nate2161, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nate2161

Nate2161 Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2007
    I am only actually two books into this series, but i don't really like where it seems to be going. I wasn't really fond of the Dark nest trilogy, but this seems to be going way further. I think it is an insult towards luke. They are focusing on jacen in a way that makes luke look weak, and easily used. This whole idea of being able to hide your force presence, or basically become unreadable has made jacen essentially the most powerful jedi. the way they speak of it, it seems like the only thing luke has on his nephew is saber skills. then they have created this way in which luke seems to became fixated on things and unmoving, like he is unwilling to look at the broader aspect of the force, but luke essentially recreated the jedi order, that is pretty broad. I just really don't like Jacen anymore, the Star Wars universe has always been fixated on war, but by bringing this full circle to another jedi vs sith war where are they leaving the series to move on...

2. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I haven't read this series, yet, but, to be honest, your post makes me WANT to read it. I have had a problem with Luke "The Invincible, Indispensible" Skywalker for a while now. During the Vong series it seemed like he, Leia and the rest of the Skywalker brood HAD to be there during all the major action. There was one notable exception, and that resulted in Anakin getting killed, Jacen disappearing and Jaina turning as dark as she ever got - quite a stunning failure.

IMO, as the head of the new Jedi Order, his responsibility was to lead, not go get into the fights himself. Not go back to Coruscant on a recon mission. Not fly around in his fighter putting himself in danger. Who is running things while he's gallavanting around? Heck, you don't see W running out to his fighter pilot to go fight Osama in some Afganistan cave.

I'd be interested to read the series, ESPECIALLY if Luke is put into the position of a Leader with a capital "L".

3. WifeofVader

WifeofVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2005
    Wow, wow, wow.... Spoiler alerts!

LOL

;)

4. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    First off, I propose that either (a) we change the name of this thread to "Literature" or (b) make a new lit thread. I'd love to discuss and/or trade lit with others. Maybe make a book club.

I'm in the throes of reading Darth Bane: Path of Destruction. Damn, what a good book! A real page-turner. And this is coming from a man that takes forever to read a book. This one is only a week old and already 82% done.

Things I love: Bane is one mean MoFo! He is truly the Bane I'd expect! Just wait until you read what he does when he gets poisoned! It's different from the comic.

Things I hate: It's got some minor and some major differences from the comic. If Skywalker Ranch is truly in control of its lit, they should keep things in agreement IMO. I'm not going to say WHAT is out of agreement, just that there are one or two major things.

5. WifeofVader

WifeofVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2005
    I can't wait to read the Path of Destruction.... you know me, anything Sith related and I am on it!

=P

I am in the midst of Harry Potter 7 right now but, DB, POD is next on my SW EU list!

6. Nate2161

Nate2161 Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2007
    I agree this should be renamed as a literature topic, and labled with a warning about spoilers, there are so many great Star Wars books coming out right now, and they deserve discussion about their quality, or even just where they are leading the Expanded Universe. I have finished Exile, and the series seems really great. it is dark for the timeperiod it is being written in, i would say times seem more bleak than in the New Jedi Order series, the Galactic Alliance is following history and not learning from it. it creates a very dark and bleak image.

7. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    I've put in a request with Mohawk Elvis to change the name of the thread and insert the spoiler warning.

To be honest about this whole thing, I'd like to go back in time rather than forward. I want to know what happened with Darth Zannah, that cute blonde girl we see in the Jedi v Sith comic that's taken in as Bane's apprentice. I just have a hard time believing she has enough hate in her to make a truly effective Sith.

Have any of you seen the Star Wars Tales comic of Darth Maul and Darth Vader going at it? If not, I'm not going to spoil the defining line of the conversation. It's quite an interesting read, though!

I also want to know who this Darth Plagueis the Wise is. And who came in between? There's 1000 years of tales there waiting to be told!

What would you folk think of utilizing one of the FF meets to have a book club meet. Perhaps bring some books or graphic novels to trade / borrow.

8. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    I'm so glad they have several authors of the SW books. There's so many plus points:
    1. More than one author means that they can have several books come out in a year. I can certainly read more than one book in a year and I'm slow. If there was just one author, I'd have to wait a year or more between books - and that would bring boredom if the series wasn't a Harry Potter.
    2. More than one author means that the style can change. I know if I read Tom Clancy, I know I can skip about six pages when he starts getting all technical. Not knowing the style going into the book makes me read everything, getting all the details rather than possibly missing some minor plot point that will pop up later in another book.

I'm sure there's others, but that's what I can think of for now.

By the same token, I'm glad there's Skywalker Ranch to keep things consistent. If it weren't for them and their leadership, all we'd have was a bunch of Splinter of the Minds Eye books that don't have much to do with each other and muddy the waters of what is an excellent series!

9. Nate2161

Nate2161 Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2007
    Well technically since splinter of the minds eye was the first star wars novel it would probably be the most accurate, but i agree that there are far better starwars books out there, and with lucas keeping a raps on it the quality is higher. Star Trek books lack the stability of the Star Wars Galaxy, they are all rather contradictory because no one cares about the books.

10. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    To back up Ishy on this one, I think 'Splinter' is technically considered non-cannon material. It was a 'bone' Lucas threw to Alan Dean Foster who was the ghost writer for the "Star Wars: The Adventures of Luke Skywalker" (actually the Star Wars: A New Hope novel) novel.

I remember reading that as a kid and being disappointed by how much it stunk. I went back in my 20's and reread it and discovered it was still as bad as I remembered.:oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.