main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hou, TX Star Wars: Legacy

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Phuong_Solo, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phuong_Solo

Phuong_Solo Jedi Master star 2

Jun 26, 2003
    This is a new comic book being released about Cade Skywalker who is obviously a decedent of Anakin and Luke. This takes place over 150 years after the movies with new Sith and a new Jedi Order. It even has evil Twi'leks. The first promo issue is going to be only 25 cents. It is being written by the guy that created the character of Aayla Secura.

2. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    Ooh! I'm on my way to stand in line now. [face_sick]

I hate Aayla Secura. I mean, I really, really hate that character. I don't hate twi'leks. It's just that the thought of a skanky Jedi is repulsive to me. There are so many opportunities in the Star Wars universe for them to have a "sexy" character. A Jedi Master living in the prime of the Jedi Order is not one of them. It simply does not make sense. It goes against anything and everything the Jedi teach and stand for. What possible reason would a Jedi Master have for dressing as she does? (Hint: it has nothing to do with culture or race/species.)

Anyway, I apologize for barging in on your thread like that. I'm not sure whether or not I'll read a lot of Legacy (although, I'd probably pick up a copy for $.25), but I'm obsessed with the new Knights of the Old Republic series. It is very well done, IMHO.

3. DarthElizur

DarthElizur Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2006
    I ran down to Bedrock City in Clear Lake and got the last copy of issue #0.

At that price, they do go quickly. It looks like a good series. Dark Horse sometimes comes through pretty well with the Star Wars stuff.

I've also been reading the other two new ones, Knights and Rebellion. So far they seem pretty good.

4. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    Bedrock on Bay Area is my favorite comic book store. Those people rock.

5. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I loved Ayla, I thought they should have had all the jedi dressed sort of like her, but variations, instead of the boring tunics!

6. WookieChuckles

WookieChuckles Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2004
    I'm actually just posting to say that I also love Bedrock City. Nan's and Third Planet may have strengths of their own and god knows I've been going to Nan's since I was eleven years old, but for the most well organized stores and the best customer service you can't beat Bedrock. I should be getting paid for this post...I can't help it, I love them.

I'm also looking forward to the Legacy series because I trust the creative team involved and I'm really excited about something set in the Star Wars universe that's actually new and unfamiliar and doesn't simply retread the same narrative ground for the thousandth time.

Also, while I understand the complaints about Aayla Secura's wardrobe choices I too am sick and tired of the same old robes and tunics...no more brown...ever.

Rebellion is a fantastic series (so far) and Janek Sunber is one of my favorite EU characters currently. The moral quagmire presented by bloody wars for liberation is playing out well in the dynamic between he and Luke. Sunber is more than the traditional sympathetic villain, he's a pretty well fleshed out man who conducts himself with honor and whose choices you understand even if he's decidedly on the wrong side of a brutal conflict.

Now I'm finished. peace.

7. TI1420

TI1420 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    My programming does not allow me to say anything bad about Aayla Secura. Besides being nice to look at, she is actually a well-developed character in some interesting story lines.

Who says Janek Sunber is on the wrong side of the conflict? You've been reading too much Rebel propaganda, friend. ;)

8. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    That's because your programming doesn't include any information on what the Jedi Order stands for. ;)

I think Ewan McGregor is gorgeous. I could look at him anytime, in just about any way. That doesn't mean I would want to see Obi-Wan wearing some tight leather pants and walking around on missions shirtless. I'm not trying to say you shouldn't find Aayla hot or whatever. I'm just saying that her appearance straight-up contradicts what the Jedi stand for.

From Wikipedia:

"The life of a Jedi was one of personal sacrifice. From the outset of their training they lived a life of simplicity, adhering to the Jedi Code which forbade material possessions and emotional attachments."

The Jedi Code includes: "There is no emotion..." "...There is no passion..."

What purpose does it serve for a Jedi to run around in skimpy clothing? To express herself? That's not living a life of simplicity. That's living a life of self assertion. The Jedi are supposed to give themselves up. Their lives are sacrifices. They are to forget everything from their lives and who they were before they were Jedi. For that matter, the same argument could be made against the tattoos of the Mirialan Jedi.

9. JediSearch

JediSearch Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2006
    I can see we are going to get along just fine!

10. DarthElizur

May 22, 2006
    I think that #1 of Legacy was just released, but I'm not sure.

Off to Bedrock!

11. JediSearch

Jun 23, 2006
    I got mine at Third Planet. Where is this Bedrock place you speak of?

12. DarthElizur

May 22, 2006
    Bedrock is a nice comic shop in the Clear Lake area.

Let me think, I think it's at the corner of highway 3 and Bay Area Blvd.

Here's the address: 106 W. BAY AREA BLVD., WEBSTER , TEXAS if you want to paste it into map.google.com or something.

They are very friendly and they all know their stuff pretty well.

13. JediSearch

Jun 23, 2006
    Awesome! That is a good location for me, I'll have to check 'em out.

Thanks!

14. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    There are so many opportunities in the Star Wars universe for them to have a "sexy" character. A Jedi Master living in the prime of the Jedi Order is not one of them.

LOL! I know what you mean. All the Jedi are dressed in robes and other modest clothing, but then suddenly you have one, young, trim female Jedi who's wearing very little. Can you say "commercial value"?

15. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    There wouldn't happen to be one located near the Medical Center would there?

16. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    They have four locations in all. Other than Bay Area (which would still be my favorite even if it wasn't down the street from me):

6517 Westheimer, Houston 77057

4683 FM 1960 W., Houston 77069

10910 Old Katy Rd., Houston 77043 (outlet store)

Exactly. As evidenced by the replies in this thread. ;)

17. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    Okay, what is up with Legacy? Why do they keep pushing it back?

Very frustrating. [face_frustrated]

18. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Loved Issue #3!!! John and Jan are doing a wonderful job with Legacy.

19. DarthElizur

May 22, 2006
    I pretty much dropped the ball on this one and need to get back into it before it's too late.

20. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I've never looked at comics before, but am really glad the Lit forum guys got me into this one.

21. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Jedi_Knight_Jonas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    I agree, Legacy looks like its gonna be pretty good.

I also agree the guys at Clear lake Bedrock City are great

22. DarthElizur

May 22, 2006
    Bedrock is great.

I need to go there more often, but I've kinda gotten away from comics for a bit.

I think they are cool, though, and my kids are approaching the comic age.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.