main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Star Wars Legends branded films?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DarthBorealis, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBorealis

DarthBorealis Jedi Knight

Jan 30, 2013
    What's to stop Disney from making films based off the classic EU? They could title EU films something like Star Wars Legends: Heir to the Empire. The Legends branding would help differentiate between official and EU based films.

This has a 99.9% of never happening, but just a thought.

black_saber likes this.
  2. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Maybe direct to DVD animated movies even that is improbable though but I don't see a live action movie ever being made.

3. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Dead EU is dead.

Dra---, cwustudent and Artoo-Dion like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I still get the feeling we will see an animated adaptation of "Heir to the Empire / Dark Force Rising / The Last Command" at some point, however the end results will be much more New Canon friendly.

5. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    If they were going to make straight-to-DVD animated movies, their first port of call would be the current canon, not a dead continuity.

Dra---, cwustudent and Krueger like this.
  6. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    Why would they spend a bunch of money making any sort of film in a canon they declared dead?

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hope they do it but doubt it.

TKT likes this.
  8. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Only one I'd really be interested in is Shadows of the Empire which I still hold in my personal canon due to their "everything but the movie" approach which made it feel more part of the saga from the off. I'd still take an animated version of this. You don't need to know any other eu to enjoy it and it stands on it's own as a story.

maybe some of the Cam Kennedy Boba Fett comics as short animations for the same reason, they work on their own out of context.

9. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I have a feeling we are getting a little bit of both legends and new canon as a mix of both into animated movies and maybe spin-offs since some of the old stuff may not be discarded. Just the sequel trilogy won't tell the same stories.

10. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002

I got a feeling we are getting a mix of both old Expanded universe stuff and new Expanded universe into animated movies and spin-off films, just not the sequel trilogy. Old EU won't be discarded.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    I doubt they'd risk confusing the canon.

12. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

Considering other companies have had very successful adaptions of material outside of the established canon and/or alternate universe tales, I could easily see them doing this on occasion. "BIG" EU stories like the Thrawn Trilogy could well be given an adaption at some point.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I don't see it. It would very much risk confusing people as far as what the canon stories are, and for what? They didn't render the old EU as Legends just to turn around and try to milk it just for the fans of those stories.

Edit: Also, this:

Dra--- likes this.
  14. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I think the only hope for new "Legends" material would be something like a limited comic book series. No way they'd ever do a film.

Dra--- likes this.
  15. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Like I have said on here before, Shadows Of The Empire would make a great Film, Is SOTE a Legends Book ?

16. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Yes, SOTE is now a "legend", i.e. a story that may or may not contain canonical elements. But again, nobody is going to make a straight-up adaptation of a 20 year old novel that isn't part of the canonical continuity.

Indeed, the junior novel Moving Target may reveal just how seriously SOTE is taken these days. It'll be interesting to find out.

17. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I just read SOTE for the third time, and IMHO with a few changes here and there you can turn It In to a story that fits into the New star wars Canon ?....

Ichor_Razor likes this.
  18. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Well, as I alluded to, there's going to be a junior novel set between ESB and ROTJ, and it'll have ties to TFA. That could affect SOTE quite a bit.

Also, I imagine Marvel will want to work within that period at some point.

It's not really about what's possible now but about what plans there are going forward.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  19. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    well If that's true that puts an end to my dream spin off film, i just figured SOTE is a huge fan favorite It even had a Soundtrack, always thought It would make a really cool film, oh well. :(

20. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Just look at all of the different Marvel Universes.

21. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Having just read Kanan #1 and re-read the blurb for The Weapon of a Jedi, it strikes me that a lot of the EU probably did happen in this new continuity--just maybe not in the way it was presented in the EU. The Weapon of a Jedi, set between ANH and ESB, looks to be a rewrite of Splinter of the Mind's Eye, repurposed for this new continuity: it's a different villain, and Leia may not appear, but Luke, Threepio and Artoo still get stranded on a planet and Luke still has to battle the villain with his lightsaber.

I think that's the way of things from here on out: take the classic EU material--those bits of lore that have stayed with the fans--and rework them into new stories. And that's the brilliance of the "Legends" banner: the old stories are potentially sort-of-true, just like real legends. The EU is now a mythology-within-a-mythology.

It's for that reason that this is a real pipedream. The old EU is not dead so much as fodder for the new continuity, and you'll sooner see a new spin on an old story than any kind of faithful adaptation of the old material.

Dra--- likes this.
  22. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah, if anything they'd just tweak the Thrawn Trilogy (or whatever) to fit the new canon and make a film of that.

23. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    We don't need EU films, nor will it ever happen, but what we do need are a few more EU books to provide some resolution and closure to the series.

That's what we need, and honestly, it's not that difficult to brand and market the books differently. The loss of the EU was inevitable since they first announced new films were being made. They could have tossed us a bone with a couple more books to end everything. Here's hoping one of these days it'll happen. Plenty of book and comic series operate with various alternate universes/canons, and it doesn't confuse anyone.

24. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    People keep saying "nobody gets confused" regarding different continuities running in parallel, but I'd contend that this isn't true at all, and indeed, it's one possible reason that keeps new readers away from comics. It requires a kind of insider knowledge to keep track of, which is fine if you're an enthusiast, but it surely keeps casual readers at arm's length.

Regarding the current strategy, how much simpler can it be? Pick up a new title with Star Wars on the cover, and you know exactly what continuity you're in. That's how you reach the widest possible audience, and LFL know it.

Dra--- likes this.
  25. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    This would be nice.

Too bad the ENTIRE EU had to be scrapped & not just most if not all material post-ROTJ since there was no reason to get rid of all of it, especially works which George himself had rather direct involvement in like the Droids & Ewoks series from the 80's, the live-action Ewok films & even the Shadows of the Empire & The Force Unleashed multimedia campaigns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.