main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: The Empire Vol. 1

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DoubleSith, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah- these seem to be roughly 3-4 TPB's worth of content each, collected in chronological order, so DVAT and DT are really the only options. The only question is if they'll spread out the Vader content to have a DVAT or 2 per volume or maintain strict chronological order so that things like Ghost prison and Fire Carrier are in the same volume.

If full chrono, I'd expect Volume 2 to contain Parallels, Vector, Blue Harvest & Out of the Wilderness.

Volume 3 would then have Ghost Prison, Fire Carrier & A Spark Remains. I don't know if they'd try to squeeze both remaining DVATs in here or only one of them or leave them both for the next volume (Ninth Assassin, Cry of Shadows... then it depends if "Empire" will cover Empire or if they'll switch to "Rebellion" for the stuff closer to ANH. I would think Enemy of the Empire & the two AOTE stories would fit in nicely though- or some of Evasive Action if they do webstrips).

2. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Why couldn't DH reprint them? They reprinted that Ewoks coloring book, which was neither DH nor Marvel.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm sure there's a scenario where they could have, but it wasn't as cut-and-dried as stuff they made in-house. And it's entirely possible LFL didn't want to give it to them.

4. TOD-UK

TOD-UK Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    I'm sure I remember randy saying something about the formatting of the webstrips making if difficult

5. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    The coloring book probably had an uncredited artist, and it's not like Scholastic or whatever would care enough to contest a reprinting. Contrast this with strips LFL had quite recently paid "name" artists to produce as pay-site exclusives.

Likely they would be too hard to read when shrunk down to comic page width, so you'd have to chop them up and reedit the flow. Unless you went for an oversize volume, which would have been awesome, but probably more work than it was worth.

6. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Is Vol. 1 really chronological order? All the Purge comics happen between Republic and Dark Times?

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Who knows--most of the stuff in that era just said "shortly after RotS".

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Purge #1 took place during or just around The Path to Nowhere- which fit in between a gap in The Rise of Darth Vader, IIRC. The other Purges were not as heavily linked (though the AT-AT factory destruction from The Hidden Blade was referenced somewhere, I forget where). That does help fill the several weeks between the Republic issues and the start of Dark Times.

It's not strictly chronological, but taking into account the need for a proper reading order and most of this stuff being, as Cooper pointed out, set within the first year or so after ROTS, there's enough wiggleroom to find a balance.

spicer likes this.
  9. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    It was referenced in Dark Times Fire Carrier.

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup.

The quote in question was a HoloNet broadcast:

Our Empire may yet be young, but it is strong! While Emperor Palpatine rules from Coruscant, our valiant clone army continues to keep us safe from the galaxy's many threats! And leading our military is the Emperor's hand-picked second in command -- Lord Vader!

Forged in the deadliest battles of the Clone Wars, Vader single-handedly defended our strategic AT-AT bases on Ovation Seven … quelled the uprising of the mighty Wookiee warriors of Kashyyyk … and thwarted the murderous plot of General Gentis that left thousands dead on Galactic Center!

From Bandomeer to the Ghost Nebula, wherever a threat arises, Lord Vader is there to meet it … to crush it! Wherever your travels in the galaxy take you, the forces of the Empire are there, keeping you safe and secure!

The2ndQuest and spicer like this.
  11. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    By the way - does this collection in any way affect the EU lover's use of the Legends banner? As in, the banner isn't the town sign of our ghetto, but a marketing tool for those trying to make money of the old, "invalid" EU?

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's a label meant to convey "Expanded Universe" (or "not canon") in a more marketable way to general readers and casual fans. It's still weird but there was bound to be some distinguishing label on either reprints or new content only- and the former makes more sense.

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The banner itself has no function if they don't keep printing this stuff--for better or worse, it was kind of baked into the concept from the beginning.

14. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Purge #1 is before Path to Nowhere, because Palpatine mentions Vader's Kessel mission in the very first issue.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So then the collected order is basically correct- outside of the questionable placement of Lost Command.

16. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Would the Evasive Action comics fit in there as well or are they later?

17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I like the way Legends looks next to Infinities.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    We were just discussing this a few posts ago- there might be formatting issues preventing their inclusion (same reason DHC didn't reprint them). Marvel also might not want to include the post-ROTS EA strips while the pre-ROTS remains uncollected.

But, they would be a nice way to pad out an additional volume.

19. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Oh yeah I don't expect to ever see them collected, I was just wondering if anyone ever figured out where they fit in the post-ROTS lineup.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    With most post-ROTS titles (at least the comics output) being vaguely placed with only a few broad relational points, there's probably a lot of leeway for them.

_Catherine_ likes this.
  21. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    From what I remember of them, there are a few minor details that can help with placement. Recruitment has to take place after the creation of COMPNOR in the final HNN article from Insider, and Prey has to take place after Coruscant Nights I due to Xizor's role in Black Sun, but I think those are the only things that can work as signposts.

Oh, and I guess End Game also has to be after the Traviss short story that introduced LeKauf. I think the Essential Readers Companion has dates for this and CN1 at least, and the HNN article gives a specific date, so that should help map them out at least to a degree.

_Catherine_ likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ok, now this is interesting, it is a BC article though:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09...o-answer-questions-about-star-wars-royalties/

It would seem DHC treated its SW creators quite a bit better than the standard / notorious work-for-hire terms are reputed to!

EDIT: Randy's post on the DHC boards on this:

http://boards.darkhorse.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21531#p270563

So, it is reasonably clear - you want to support the artists who made some of the best damn SW stories going, go forth and grab the DHC editions as far as you are able!

23. Jar Jar Is Dead

Jar Jar Is Dead Jedi Knight

Aug 22, 2014
    Well, I'm glad that the stories will live on, because I'm really scared of new Marvel comics.

24. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014

why?

25. DarthBarrister

DarthBarrister Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2014

What's the significance of the announcement date? I have been out of the loop a bit lately, so I'm not seeing it. Was DH's last new story issued "today" - keeping in mind I'm asking this about a week after your post.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.