main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars Legends Epic Collection & uncollected Dark Horse comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Guy-Gone_Weird, May 23, 2015.

1. Guy-Gone_Weird

Guy-Gone_Weird Jedi Master star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    I was a big fan of the Omnibus series from Dark Horse and picked up almost all of them. It was really great for someone like me who isn't a big comic issue reader to get read all these great stories and look great on my shelf. Now Marvel is doing the same thing with their Star Wars Legends Epic Collection series. Despite if you see these as a quick cash grab from Marvel to reprint Dark Horse's stories or not, this presents an interesting possibility for a definitive collection of Legends comics.

As much as I liked the Omnibus series, the Epic Collection seems to be doing a few things that Omnibus didn't. For one, they appear to be collecting stories mostly chronologically under general "era" collections. This is great, and wasn't possible with Omnibus because new stories were still being written (Jedi - The Dark Side was not able to be included in Rise of the Sith as an example). Now that Legends is done, it should be easy to have everything collected in order. Also, according to information on upcoming Epic Collections, they will include related Tales stories where appropriate. That's something I personally wanted to see in with the Omnibus program when they first started, which should make for an interesting read chronologically.

So to kind of continue the old Omnibus discussion thread, I thought we could look at what the Epic Collection is doing, and more importantly how they could potentially map out the volumes to collect all Star Wars comics made by Dark Horse, and perhaps most oddball comics...maybe we could get translated versions of those rare foreign language comics in English?

The Original Marvel Years Omnibuses look to be collecting the original Marvel run as well as the Panini/UK comics. Hopefully the Marvel Droids and Ewoks comics and the Classic Star Wars/newspaper strips will be similarly collected that way.

[​IMG]

First of all, what comics were left uncollected by Dark Horse? And which stories got TPB releases but weren't collected in the Omnibus program?

I'd be curious to see how The Clone Wars era would be handled if they collected everything. First there are the 2002-2005 Clone Wars stories: Republic, Jedi, General Grievous, FCBD, etc, as well as the Reversal of Fortune webstrips. Then there are tie-in comics to The Clone Wars TV series, which includes the Dark Horse TCW comics, the digest stories, the TCW seasons 1-3 webcomics, and the UK comics.

For Star Wars: Tales stories I'd like to see all canon/ambiguously canon stories included where they should take place within the regular collections. Then non-canon Tales could fit in the other Infinities volume alongside Visionaries. The remaining humor Tales could be collected in a parody/humor collection alongside Tag & Bink and Sergio Aragonés Stomps Star Wars.

What would you guys like to see them do?

Tython Awakening and DarthJaceus like this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    They better release Tales of the Jedi somehow. TOTJ is way too important and influential to leave unavailable.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    KOTOR, Empire, The New Republic, Rise of the Sith, Infinities are the one's announced so far.
    X-Wing, TOTJ (Exar Kun era), Thrawn trilogy, Crimson Empire, Pre Clone Wars Republic comics, Jedi vs. Sith, Invasion, Droids, Classic SW, Marvel SW need to be collected because I don't have them.

mes520 likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Marvel SW is covered - oh, you lack the cash needed for 3 volumes at RRP $125? Well, too bad, dat's the price.[face_devil]

More seriously, I can get an RRP $125 / £95 omnibus item over here for just over £50, there's similar discounts on the US side too. Factor in that each collects about 30-40 issues at a time and, with significant online discount, you get a reasonable per issue cost.

That said, don't buy these editions with resale in mind, as the postage to send will be a killer.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    I think they'd have to bow to the inevitable and group the 2008-2013 TCW stuff separately. Most of it doesn't have dates beyond "this story takes place in the first year of the Clone Wars" or etc, so it would be easiest just to reprint them in publication order and call it good. With everything else on their plates I can't see Marvel or the Story Group going to the effort of a TCW-tie-ins only timeline, much less integrating them with the original run.

6. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I bet X-Wing books will begin in vol. 2 of New Republic series.

I Look forward to a collection with all of Knight Errant.

7. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I'm probably going to get the Knights of the Old Republic comics and read them. I think it will likely be quite awhile before the NEU ever even delves into that era and if they do it will be fun just to see how much they changed and kept the same. Until they do decide to retell that era I can just consider it canon anyways since there will be no other stories to take its place.

8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I'd like a legends collection that collects all TCW tv show tie in comics

Taalcon likes this.
  9. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    BTW, the first New Republic volume (with Mara Jade: By The Emperor's Hand, Shadows of the Empire: Evolution, Twin Engines of Destruction, and various Tales stories) is out this week.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I need to read those.

Taalcon likes this.
  11. Joe Kalicki

Joe Kalicki Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2014
    I got the first volume of the Empire series and it's a really beautiful looking book. I do hope they collect everything, all the little odds and ends included.

Taalcon likes this.
  12. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998

I agree. Really looking forward to building my Legends comics collection with these volumes.

13. JaHawk

JaHawk Jedi Padawan

May 24, 2015
    Already picked up the New Republic book, really nice printing and binding - excited to sit and read it. Still need to pick up Empire 1 however.

14. jaoblias

jaoblias Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 23, 2012
    I'm not a fan of them separating everything into eras rather then having a single consistent series. I feel like were just going to get a lot of stuff falling between eras that'll be left out . Otherwise the Epic Collection format is great, they're a bit pricier then the more compact Dark Horse omnis but to be fair those were ridiculously inexpensive. I imagine their going to have alot of problems when it comes to ordering all the post ANH and pre ESB stuff though.

(By the way for anyone interested, i made a list of all un-omnibused stuff way back when new omnibuses were still a possibility, as such everything is sorted into potential omnibuses)

15. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Picked up my New Republic #1 today. It's nice and hefty. I realize I've read nothing of what is currently in here - especially none of the Tales selections. Very much looking forward to it!

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    FYI, if you didn't know the full list of what is collected in New Republic #1, here it is, in the order in which they appear:
    • Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand 0-6
    • "Mara Jade: A Night on the Town"—Star Wars Tales 1
    • "Do or Do Not"—Star Wars Tales 15
    • "Free Memory"—Star Wars Tales 10
    • "Lando's Commandos: On Eagles' Wings"—Star Wars Tales 5
    • Shadows of the Empire: Evolution 1-5
    • The Jabba Tape
    • "Sand Blasted"—Star Wars Tales 4
    • "Three Against the Galaxy"—Star Wars Tales 3
    • "Apocalypse Endor"—Star Wars Tales 14
    • "Marooned"—Star Wars Tales 22
    • Boba Fett: Twin Engines of Destruction
    • "A Wookiee Scorned!"—Star Wars Tales 10
    • "Problem Solvers"—Star Wars Tales 20
    If they are setting precedent with this volume, It looks like it will include the absolutely 'silly' stories from Tales in these volumes that take place at these points, but at the end of that Era's volume collection. IE, 'A Wookiee Scorned' and 'Problem Solvers' are tacked on at the end. Seems like a pretty smart way to handle that, without needing to find a separate collection for those stories, or just dumping them into the 'inifinities' series.

I'm guessing the New Republic series will progress with having the X-Wing stories in the next volumes, followed by the adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy, and then go into Dark Empire/Boba Fett/Crimson Empire. Really looking forward to this!

17. Guy-Gone_Weird

Guy-Gone_Weird Jedi Master star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    Hmm. I suppose putting the humor tales at the end is a decent way of handling things.

Having read The Empire, Vol. 1 collection, I like the flow of reading the stories in mostly chronological order. It makes it interesting to see Vader killing a bunch of Jedi in Purge while Dass Jennir is off fighting the Empire in Dark Times.

I'm hopeful that The New Republic volumes will continue all the way through Union, Chewbacca and Invasion. With the Tales stories interspersed throughout it should make for a fun read.

Taalcon and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Read The New Republic collection. The Tales comics in there were amazing. They were great fun. Looking toward the next one. Hope it goes through Invasion as well.

19. TOD-UK

TOD-UK Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    I've recently been converted to these! I think marvel are doing an incredible job here, and I'm slowly buying all the Epic Collections and offloading the original TPBs

20. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    We should make a little list of the rarer comics and issues/strips, whether they're collected or not

I can think of a few:
    The Mixed-Up Droid (came with an audiobook of the same name)
    Shadows of the Empire (Kenner Special 1)
    Shadows of the Empire (Kenner Special 2)
    Shadows of the Empire (Galoob)
    Shadows of the Empire (Ertl)
    Ewoks (Marvel Comics)
    Ewoks (MyComic - canonocity is ambiguous)
    Droids (MyComic - canonocity is ambiguous)
    Droids (Star/Marvel Comics)
    Battle of the Bounty Hunters
    Routine Valor (FCBD 2006)
    Hide in Plain Site (FCBD 2004)
    Brothers in Arms (FCBD 2005)
    The Clone Wars: Gauntlet of Death (FCBD 2009)
    The Clone Wars: Opress Unleashed (FCBD 2011)
    The Art of the Bad Deal (FCBD 2012)
    The Assassination of Darth Vader (FCBD 2013)

On the run, will update when I return

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Tython Awakening likes this.
  21. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    The Free Comic Book Day issues have all been collected at some point, haven't they?

22. DarthJaceus

Dec 6, 2016
    I was on the run so I couldn't double-check, but now that I'm a home a google search reveals that

Opress Unleashed has not been collected from what I can see, neither has The Assassination of Darth Vader or The Clone Wars: Gauntlet of Death

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  23. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I think Oppress Unleashed was just an excerpt of a longer TCW tie-in comic that was released in full later.

24. DarthJaceus

Dec 6, 2016
    That narrows it down to only two FCBDs then, that I can find at the very least. They've been very thorough so far, even got the comic strips from Star Wars Kids in The Rebellion Volume 2

25. germanjedi

germanjedi Jedi Knight

Nov 7, 2017
    Assassination of Darth Vader was collected in "Star Wars Vol. 1: In the Shadows of Yavin". Gauntlet of Death was collected in "The Clone Wars Volume 2: In Service of the Republic". :) None of them have been collected in a Legends Epic Collection yet, though.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018