main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq Star Wars Library Day

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Wook, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Getting the ball rolling here...

Looks as if we will probably be doing a "Star Wars Day" at the library (Cherry Hills I believe) sometime after May 14th.

This will be an Star Wars themed literary event for kids (big & small). Costumes, book readings, trivia games etc are some of the activities that were done at the last one for Ep2. So post your ideas etc here and let's do it! :)

2. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    I'd definitely like to do a book reading. But what books and really short stories can we read? Or have the kids read for trivia contests?

3. ObeyTheFist

ObeyTheFist Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2004
    if anyone can find copies of the original series on book - they came out with record/book sets back in the day and there are little DVD-book things out now that may have something.

there are kids books out there that dael with the series. mostly the original series or ani as a kid

4. I-Like-The-Dark-Side

I-Like-The-Dark-Side Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2004
    What about a coloring contest? There have got to be SW cloring books out there, or images online you could print out and copy, or something.

5. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    There is a kids section in SW.com that has some I can print out...all EP2 though.

6. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    i have some books at home i can look thru i will let you know.

7. Outpour

Outpour Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2005
    I am pretty sure I have a new hope picture/story book around here somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up.

8. LetoQuorme

LetoQuorme Mos Alba FF Chapter Rep star 4

Nov 11, 2001
    Donna informed me today that she coordinated with Sarah at the library and we now have a date for this: June 11th.

9. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Sounds good to me!

10. skyra

skyra Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 9, 2001
    The time for the program will be from 1:30 to 4:30 pm Saturday, June 11th. Sarah felt that since school would be out, that more kids would attend. Some of the ideas being discussed is having different stations set up with a particular activity going on. She liked the idea of someone in costume reading to the kids, but we will have to find a few small SW books to read, as our time will be limited. The trivia contest we did the last time took up the bulk of the time. We could also put on the flyer about parents bringing their cameras so the kids could get their pictures taken with a stormtrooper, or whoever they wanted. Since it's 3 months away, we at least have some time to work things out and get costumes made. Well, for those of us who want to do it.

11. skyra

Dec 9, 2001
    I forgot to mention that for the trivia contest we will be putting out books for the kids to read and that's where we pick the questions for the contest. Last time we used the Jedi Apprentice novels. This time, I would like to expand that to the DK visual books that the library owns. I am going to check the library's collection of those and if it's limited see if we can order more. They have gotten a lot of use over the last 3 years and I know many of them have been taken out of the collection because of broken spines, etc. If we don't have a lot, then it's hard to use them for the trivia contest because all of the kids will want to check them out and there won't be enough to go around.

12. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Thanks for the info, Donna!

Since Donna works at the library, and if it's okay with everyone else, I'd like for her to "manage" this event, as time permits. I would also like to "co-manage" this with you, too. We'll have to meet and talk about getting this all planned out. It'll be a lot of fun, I bet!

13. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    upping up (?)

So Bob/Brian - where do you get your trivia from for the thread? Do you think it would work for some of the older kids etc? I might have a copy of the Jedi master's quizbook from the ancient 80's that we could use for the simpler, OT stuff.

14. skyra

Dec 9, 2001
    No problem Bob. I will appreciate any help I can get from you or anyone else. I will be in and out of town the next this week and next, as my father-in-law passed away last Friday and I'll be gone starting tomorrow afternoon, but should be back by late Sunday. Then my sister arrives from Oregon on the 10th and I'll be gone from the 11th until the 14th. I'll catch up when I get back.

15. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    so sorry to hear of your family's loss Donna ...

16. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Hey wook! Most of the trivia I've been thinking up is from my head. A couple come from stuff I read recently or comes from my daily calendar at work. I think it might work for some older kids...

Donna, I'm sorry for your loss. I hope your husband is doing okay. Let us know if there's anything we can do for you.

17. skyra

Dec 9, 2001
    Thanks for your sentiments guys! It's most appreciated! Wook, I think I also have that Jedi Masters Quizbook from the 80's that might work for the older kids, (or adults if they want to join in)
    I was thinking that we might have to do different age groups for the trivia contests, like maybe having one for the younger set and one for the teens.
    I am also thinking of using the new Jedi Mind Game pictures from the backs of the cereal boxes for a small childrens memory game. I need to get one more box with the pictures. I worked on the flyer last week and am trying to get a list of all the copies of the kids SW books that the library owns to hand out with the flyers.
    We need to come up with some more activities so that I can put them on the flyer. The flyer should be put out no later than April 11th so that the kids have 2 months to do their costumes.
    Oh, and last time we gave away prizes for the best costume and the winner of the trivia contest etc, so if you can also think of some cool prizes, that would be great.

18. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Thanks for the update, Donna! I'll see if we can get together sometime to work together on the flyers. Coming up with some prizes shouldn't be too difficult.

Maybe we can have one of the prizes be passes to Bubonicon? Maybe just a single day pass, of course. But hey, since it is mostly a literary con, it might be a good prize, don't ya think?

19. Kaety

Kaety Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Hi! I'm from Southern Co and was reading this thread because I want to do the same thing here in our town. I thought I would tell you that I found a great coloring book at Walmart that has pics from Ep III in it. It's called the Big Best Book to Color Star Wars and was $2.67. It has great pics of Greivous and Vader and clone troopers and wookiees as well as OT stuff and EpI and II.

Also, if you can find one on e-bay or at an overstock store - the EpI coloring book with Darth Maul on the front called Galactic Puzzles and Games had bookmarks to color and cut out.

Also, being the mother of two Star Wars fans I have found some great childrens books for all reading levels on e-bay. From picture books to the Chapter books. My 4 year old loves "I am a Bounty Hunter" by Boba Fett and my 2nd grade daughter loves the chapter books.

Good luck with your event - it sounds great! :)

20. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Thanks, Kaety! The group did this back when AotC came out and I heard it was pretty successful.

Our group is far larger and more capable this time around, I believe. My two boys love the library and the activities so at least I have something to gauge interest on!

21. skyra

Dec 9, 2001
    No problem on the flyer Bob. I have most of it finished, going to try and print it out today and see how it looks.
    Katey, thanks for those great ideas on the prizes. I am going to check Wal-Mart and see what I can find.
    Have a great day.

22. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    I ordered 3 of the ROTS Trivia Challenge books for the library day. will bring them to the next meeting

23. skyra

Dec 9, 2001
    Okay, great on those books obey! thanks!

24. JediMexx

JediMexx Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2004
    The 501st has made a 501st Kids Activity Book for events. Since many of us will be at the Library Day event I will make sure to pint this out for the kids. I will bring in the sample at our next meeting.

25. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Awesome, Roman!

I will post the preliminary "schedule" here soon. Donna did a good job for the first flyer that will be posted at the library. We'll put another one up as it gets closer to June.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.